Sources: Dan Quinn Likely To Be Next Falcons Coach (Falcoholic)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Former Buff, current Bengals DB coach Vance Joseph interviewing for the Broncos HC job tomorrow. Teryl Austin's visit in limbo right now.

Heard Broncos impressed with the vision Adam Gase laid out during his interview today. I'll have more on CBS4 in three minutes.

Sounds like Joseph is a rooney rule guy and the Broncos are sold on Gase.

They interviewed a DB coach from Cincinnati? Well that would certainly be an unexpected hiring.

So, this individual report doesn't tell us much, but the overall pattern of reports can. And the lack of interviews that Quinn has had. Looks like he's let it be known that the Falcons are his choice.

Starting to be cautiously optimistic that Quinn is coming here, either Monday, if the Hawks lose, or after the Super Bowl, if they win.

Think it would be a great hire, also think that would show that the Falcons FO is not in chaos.

Think they had a pretty good offseason last year, derailed by injuries and egos once the season started.

But think- the first 3 FA were linemen, the first 2 picks in the draft were too. They drafted high ceiling/low floor types with character issues-Hageman, Southward, Shembo. They didn't trade up. What were the main complaints about TD's moves before? Always trading up, drafting safe players and ignoring the lines- they didn't do any of that.

They spend another offseason building up the lines, getting raw talented players that a staff known for developing players can work with, this team could be really good as soon as next year.

So, this individual report doesn't tell us much, but the overall pattern of reports can. And the lack of interviews that Quinn has had. Looks like he's let it be known that the Falcons are his choice.

Starting to be cautiously optimistic that Quinn is coming here, either Monday, if the Hawks lose, or after the Super Bowl, if they win.

Think it would be a great hire, also think that would show that the Falcons FO is not in chaos.

Think they had a pretty good offseason last year, derailed by injuries and egos once the season started.

But think- the first 3 FA were linemen, the first 2 picks in the draft were too. They drafted high ceiling/low floor types with character issues-Hageman, Southward, Shembo. They didn't trade up. What were the main complaints about TD's moves before? Always trading up, drafting safe players and ignoring the lines- they didn't do any of that.

They spend another offseason building up the lines, getting raw talented players that a staff known for developing players can work with, this team could be really good as soon as next year.

I'm really getting the feeling that neither Denver nor Chicago are serious about Austin, and that, even if we wait, we'll have the option to choose him or Quinn either one.

I'm really getting the feeling that neither Denver nor Chicago are serious about Austin, and that, even if we wait, we'll have the option to choose him or Quinn either one.

I think you are right about Denver or Chicago not really being interested in Austin. If Austin comes here it will be next Monday or Tuesday at the latest after we talk to Quinn at least one more time or if the Seahawks win and we don't want to wait anymore. If we go past next Tuesday of next week it has to be all in for Quinn.

One of the biggest knocks I had on the last coaching staff is that they had no clue how to develop players.

Im optimistic thats going to change with either Quinn or Austin.

Edited by FentayeJones

Just because Jeanna posts it doesn't make me even feel .001 more inclined to believe it. Its not like she has some huge inside knowledge. As of now the majority of people believe Quinn is going to be the next HC anyways. I find it EXTREMELY unlikely that she will ever break any news before Schefter, Rappaport, Glazer etc. She is posting a common knowledge thought. And "per league source" is about the broadest "source" you can possibly have lol

Either way, i'll be extremely happy if we get Quinn.

She's a nobody. Her source is probably a low level assistant coach who was told by Tice or Armstrong that Quinn is their guy. Hearsay.

That's more than a little harsh.

I follow her on Twitter and have for quite some time. While she might not have a big name like Shefter or Glazer I have found her reporting to be spot on and informative nearly all of the time.

"She's a nobody" is a punk-azz statement.

Jeanna - is not going to beat Scheffter, Glazer or Rappoport to the hiring. She just won't. She is reporting what someone else is speculating - reporting someone else's guess.

Please guy. You know who broke the Evan Gattis trade the other day? A glorified blogger. People like her break this type of news all the time.

For the bolded: Not just that, all of the moves we made were when we were going to be a 3-4 base. It's not TD's or Pioli's fault we didn't run it. That automatically put players out of position in the front seven. Look at when we played them correctly in that second Saints game. Allowed one TD in 59 minutes.

The silver lining is the 4-3 Under is basically a blend of the 3-4 and 4-3 and we've the personnel to run it right away. Just add a dominant pass rusher and another LB.

That's more than a little harsh.

I follow her on Twitter and have for quite some time. While she might not have a big name like Shefter or Glazer I have found her reporting to be spot on and informative nearly all of the time.

"She's a nobody" is a punk-azz statement.

It's because she's a woman if you ask me. But that's for another time...

I'll just say they don't follow her.

Please guy. You know who broke the Evan Gattis trade the other day? A glorified blogger. People like her break this type of news all the time.

Exactly.

The Falcons, although frustrating at times, and been very patient and have worked this entire thing the way they want too.

I do not believe for a second that Austin is a fall back plan. I believe they have interviewed him twice, have covered all bases, will do the same with Quinn and then make the decision.

I would be pissed if we hired Quinn the day of his 2nd interview. That means this was never about listening to all options and covering your bases. This is about waiting for 1 guy and we all know that's bad business.

My concern would be.....Quinn has so much talent in Seattle, it's almost difficult not be successful. Quinn isn't known for creative schemes that gets the most out of his guys (Like Bowles). You know he will try to replicate what he had in Seattle but that's easier said than done.

I suggest taking a look at the Florida Gator D when Quinn was DC....'nuff said.

I respect Jenna as a writer. She is grinding and climbing up the ladder as are many others at SB/Bleacher/Wherever.

I am on a similar path in my own writing niche.

That said, I am sick of reports based on unnamed sources from her, Glazer, Rappaport or whomever. They mean nothing.

I couldn't get away with attributing something to unnamed sources any more than I could attribute something to Santa Claus. Only sports fans (and pop culture readers -- ew, talk about a gullible audience) accept such reports and treat them as valid.

I would love to see a spreadsheet detailing the various stories written by sports writers that were attributed to such sources. I am sure the vast majority turn out to be wrong, and yet, these writers never seem to lose credibility.

I doubt Jenna is just making something up, but her source could easily be doing so (or just wrong). Without mentioning who it is, how am I -- the reader -- to judge the reports veracity?

These aren't journalists with 30 years in the business, who have developed the credibility for me to just buy into these reports on face value.

Edited by Falcon Ben

I respect Jenna as a writer. She is grinding and climbing up the ladder as are many others at SB/Bleacher/Wherever.

That said, I am sick of reports based on unnamed sources from her, Glazer, Rappaport or whomever. They mean nothing.

I couldn't get away with attributing something to unnamed sources any more than I could attribute something to Santa Claus. Only sports fans (and pop culture readers -- ew, talk about a gullible audience) accept such reports and treat them as valid.

I would love to see a spreadsheet detailing the various stories written by sports writers that were attributed to such sources. I am sure the vast majority turn out to be wrong, and yet, these writers never seem to lose credibility.

I doubt Jenna is just making something up, but her source could easily be doing so (or just wrong). Without mentioning who it is, how am I -- the reader -- to judge the reports veracity?

These aren't journalists with 30 years in the business, who have developed the credibility for me to just buy into these reports on face value.

Is that you Mel Kiper?

kiper1.gif

Edited by PermaGrin

These issues are inherent to journalism in it's entirety. Sources are sources because they don't want their names attached to things. And the only thing that lends credibility to a person citing these sources is their reputation as a journalist. Thats the nature of the game. Can't hold it against her anymore than you can hold it against anyone else.

The Falcons, although frustrating at times, and been very patient and have worked this entire thing the way they want too.

I do not believe for a second that Austin is a fall back plan. I believe they have interviewed him twice, have covered all bases, will do the same with Quinn and then make the decision.

I would be pissed if we hired Quinn the day of his 2nd interview. That means this was never about listening to all options and covering your bases. This is about waiting for 1 guy and we all know that's bad business.

Pretty sure that every HC so far has been hired the day of his 2nd interview. Pretty sure that's the way it almost always happens.

Falcons interviewed 7 coaches for the HC, brought 4 back for a second interview [ Ryan and Bowles would have had 2nd interviews had they wanted them] and are waiting on the guy that impressed them in his first interview to become available for his second.

That's not bad business, that's really good business. Esp. since the one they're waiting on is considered a really good candidate.