Who Is Picking The Oc? Both Quinn And Austin Have Contacted Adam Gase To Be The Oc

g-dawg

Thursday, January 15, 2015
Austin would want Gase as OC

By Vaughn McClure
ESPN.com

The Atlanta Falcons could move forward with two hot head-coaching candidates leading the team in 2015, if they decide to go that route.

A source indicated that part of Detroit Lions defensive coordinator Teryl Austin's pitch to become the Falcons' head coach is to bring Adam Gase along as his offensive coordinator. Gase, the offensive coordinator for the Denver Broncos this season, was a finalist for the San Francisco 49ers' coaching job and was among the first group of candidates interviewed by Falcons owner Arthur Blank and the search committee.

nfl_a_bronco99_cr_300x200.jpg

Adam Gase's presence as offensive coordinator has been promised by Falcons head coach candidates Teryl Austin and Dan Quinn.

Although Seattle Seahawks defensive coordinator Dan Quinn emerged as the favorite for the Falcons after the first round of interviews, Austin had a chance to make a strong case during his second interview Thursday. With Gase in the mix, the potential formidable combination might not only fix a broken defense but also add more juice to an already potent offense led by quarterback Matt Ryan and Pro Bowl receiver Julio Jones.

If Gase joins the Falcons and takes their offense to another level, it would make him that much more attractive for head-coaching opportunities next year.

Both Quinn and Austin have contacted Gase about becoming offensive coordinator in Atlanta, a source said.

Because Gase has already met with Atlanta's brain trust in interviewing for the head-coaching job, the Falcons would be a convenient fit for him. Atlanta is considered the most appealing landing spot for Gase given the presence of Ryan, Jones and other pieces on an offense that finished eighth in the NFL in yards per game in 2014.

In addition to San Francisco and Atlanta, Gase interviewed for head-coaching jobs in Buffalo, Chicago and Denver.

The Falcons are expected to formally request permission for another discussion with Gase, who received a similar request from the St. Louis Rams and had interest from the Jacksonville Jaguarsand Oakland Raiders in the past 24 hours.

Austin has also interviewed with the Bears and is scheduled to interview with the Broncos on Friday.

The Broncos boasted the league's second-best scoring offense this season at 30.1 points per game and the league's fourth-best total offense at 402.9 yards per game.

The Falcons are willing to wait for Quinn to finish his playoff run, with the Seahawks a favorite to repeat as Super Bowl champions. But Austin's proposal could be rather enticing to Blank.

Austin engineered the league's top-ranked rushing defense (69.3 yards per game) and second-ranked total defense (300.9 yards per game). The Lions tied for second in scoring defense, allowing just 17.6 points per game.

ESPN.com's Nick Wagoner contributed to this report.

sweeeeettttt!!!!

I guess if they both want him, we could go ahead and sign Adam Gase for the Falcons OC right now, huh?

Update (5:22pm EST)

(Assumes Denver does not hire Gase as HC and is willing to release Gase from his contract for a lateral move. we ain't there yet!)

What would be the reason for Denver not promoting Gase to HC?

it could happen. Obviously if Denver hires him as HC - that is the job he will take. Also, there is always the possiblity that Denver hires Austin and Gase stays in Denver.

I just like that the potential of getting one of these defensive minds and Gase to boot - that would be quite a coup if it were to happen.

My guess now, being pessimistic - would be we get Quinn/Austin and don't get Gase. I could live w/ that but if we got either + Gase - that would be fantastic.

it could happen. Obviously if Denver hires him as HC - that is the job he will take. Also, there is always the possiblity that Denver hires Austin and Gase stays in Denver.

I just like that the potential of getting one of these defensive minds and Gase to boot - that would be quite a coup if it were to happen.

My guess now, being pessimistic - would be we get Quinn/Austin and don't get Gase. I could live w/ that but if we got either + Gase - that would be fantastic.

The thing would be if Austin gets HC job in Denver, there is a fair chance Gase leaves Denver (due to rebuke) and it may be blessing in disguise for us having him and Quinn.

Both are gunning to bring in the same guy at OC and both want to bring in guys they worked with in great defenses. Quinn is my favorite candidate but if they can lock up Gase now for the OC job I see no reason why not to give Austin, who I also like, the job now and get the offseason work rolling.

exactly how I feel.

Both are gunning to bring in the same guy at OC and both want to bring in guys they worked with in great defenses. Quinn is my favorite candidate but if they can lock up Gase now for the OC job I see no reason why not to give Austin, who I also like, the job now and get the offseason work rolling.

ATL asking for Gase to be OC may be a smoke screen so Denver can announce a HC without going after Quinn.

If it is then whatever. All it means is we can choose whoever the **** we want for our HC job.

I don't really know about that - is Gase not under contract right now w/ Denver? couldn't they do the same thing to us that we did to Oakland for Tice and to NYJ for Armstrong.

What would be the reason for Denver not promoting Gase to HC?

On ESPN radio yesterday there were some interesting comments about Gase and Denver. The commenter was a guy from NFL Network, not an ESPN talking head.

The basic gist was that Gase & Manning have a close relationship and Manning really went to bat for Gase as OC in Denver. If Elway is dead set for a rebuilding mode, not interviewing or giving serious consideration to Gase would be a subtle signal to Manning that Elway wants him to retire instead of come back. If Elway made a play for Gase as HC, then it would mean he wanted Manning back for another year. It makes sense, but I think Elway could want Manning to just hang them up with or without Gase, if he does, it wouldn't shock me.