Bucs Prefer Winston To Mariotta

hjerry

Buccaneers Currently Prefer Jameis Winston over Marcus Mariota

Updated Jan. 15, 2015

By Charlie Campbell - @draftcampbell

Tampa Bay landing the No. 1 overall pick in the 2015 NFL Draft has sparked a heavy debate with Buccaneer fans and the media covering the team about which quarterback is the top prospect between Florida State’s Jameis Winston and Oregon’s Marcus Mariota. Per our sources with the Buccaneers, the organization currently prefers Winston over Mariota.

Sources say it is early in the process, and things could change in the months to come. Coaches getting involved in draft evaluations can make a big difference in a team’s thinking. However, our sources don’t view that as likely. They say that as long as Winston interviews well and doesn’t get into trouble in the months leading up to the draft, they feel that he will be the top pick in the draft.

I would agree with Tampa Bay’s thinking that Winston is the far superior prospect on the field. Off the field, the advantage swings to Mariota, but in speaking with evaluators at other teams, they all feel that Winston is the right pick for the Buccaneers. Sources from the Bucs and multiple teams also agree with my contention that Winston is a better prospect than Matthew Stafford, Sam Bradford, and Cam Newton, who went first overall in the 2009-2011 drafts.

A lot can change in the spring months leading up to the draft, but entering the pre-combine training, Winston is the favorite to go first overall to Tampa Bay.

Check out my mock draft, where I have Tampa taking Winston No. 1 overall.

http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftrumormill.php

He's not going to bust AS HARD as Mariota, but I still agree.

Oh I disagree. Mariotta's issues are all on the field. He'll keep getting chances for that reason. Winston on the other hand...

I wouldn't be surprised to see him suspended within his first year, and possibly out in two.

He's not going to bust AS HARD as Mariota, but I still agree.

I'm still not ruling out Philly trading up to get him at #2. For some reason I see that happening and he would probably do pretty well in Chip Kelly's offense.

Give Tennessee first this year, first next year and Nick Foles

I'm still not ruling out Philly trading up to get him at #2. For some reason I see that happening and he would probably do pretty well in Chip Kelly's offense.

Give Tennessee first this year, first next year and Nick Foles

To move to 2? They'd have to give more than that. I guarantee that they'd have to give them at least a 3rd in there as well, if not a 2nd.

Anyone with eyes prefers Winston. If you say Winston is going to bust, I hope you mean because of on field (like Mariotta) I disagree but I can respect that. If you say from off the field you are not being intellectually honest or more than likely on this board your education ended in High School.

0 Drugs, 0 Firearms, 0 Assaults... all of Winston's stuff is college stuff... Running a train turns into date rape? College Someone has a hookup at the off campus fast food restaurant/grocery store? College? Saying loud inappropriate stuff (when probably drunk)? College

Getting out of college won't make Winston mature all of a sudden, it will cure him of collegeosis!

Anyone with eyes prefers Winston. If you say Winston is going to bust, I hope you mean because of on field (like Mariotta) I disagree but I can respect that. If you say from off the field you are not being intellectually honest or more than likely on this board your education ended in High School.

0 Drugs, 0 Firearms, 0 Assaults... all of Winston's stuff is college stuff... Running a train turns into date rape? College Someone has a hookup at the off campus fast food restaurant/grocery store? College? Saying loud inappropriate stuff (when probably drunk)? College

Getting out of college won't make Winston mature all of a sudden, it will cure him of collegeosis!

I think he'll be a bust on both levels. He'll be a Ryan Leaf level **** head and on the field he won't get the amount of talent he had in 2013 to carry him and mask his shortfalls to go along with not listening to his coaches to improve his game. That the Bucs maybe prefer him is fantastic news to me.

To move to 2? They'd have to give more than that. I guarantee that they'd have to give them at least a 3rd in there as well, if not a 2nd.

Depends what value Nick Foles has. He is a proven QB. #2 overall aside, if you get a QB that can start day 1 and 2 first round picks, for a guy you don't know for sure if he can transition in to the league, I think you take it.

Yeah. Keep telling yourself, and J. Winston, that. Look where its got him so far.