How Commited Are We To The 3-4?

Sidecar Falcon

I doubt we are at all. My guess is the FO figures we have to completely reconfigure the front 4. Whether we get DEs or OLBs probably doesn't matter much. We need two of either, and some insurance for Spoon on the inside as well, either way.

Do you think Hageman and Soliai can transition to a 4-3 without hindering their performance/growth?

Do you think Hageman and Soliai can transition to a 4-3 without hindering their performance/growth?

Soliai did very well when playing a similar under scheme to Quinn's. Hageman would excel there as well(And TJax). We just can't run the straight one-gap system we tried running this season with them again.

Well, Soliai is on his last leg, so he'll either be fine or be cut. Hageman is prototypical for a 4-3 inside guy. Soliai could be used as a Grady Jackson type. I definitely think it could work, and if not, I think Peters and Babs can fill in very well on the inside. Goodman is the one I question, but he might work inside as well.

HeII I don't see much talent period.

This is exactly why I don't think there's commitment to any particular alignment. At this point I hope the aim is to hire the best guy and not worry about the arbitrary boxes that need to be checked off.

Get the guy you believe in and let him build the thing the way he wants.

Looking at our defensive roster, I don't see much 3-4 talent. HeII I don't see much talent period. Hire Quinn, sign Suh, draft De and Lb.

3-4, we have the inside line handled. We lack 4 linebackers. 3 if Spoon is healthy......so, yeah, 4.

4-3 we have the inside line handled and some LBers who could work, especially in the middle and weak side. We could probably make Osi, Bierman and Mass work with another FA DE and a high draft pick at DE. But realistically, we need 2 pass rushers either way. I think the 4-3 under that Quinn runs would be the best fit because it maximizes the use of our 3-4 interior pieces without requiring us to get 2 OLBs and probably 2 ILBs too.

The thing is that both Quinn and Austin have experience with both alignments.

Even if Quinn installs the 4-3 Under, I would not be surprised if he allows some flexibility to run some 3-4 on occasions.

Austin could run either his aggressive 4-3 from Detroit or tap into his Ravens roots with a 3-4/4-3 Under.

Who would be your ideal LEO is we instituted a 4-3 under base?