Next Great Coach Is Quinn? Ajc

The Falcons didn’t hire Rex Ryan (who went to Buffalo but preferred the Falcons’ job) or Todd Bowles (who went to New York Jets and was never offered the Falcons’ job).

I understand the level of panic that exists in a perpetually damaged fan base. But here’s a reality check, people: The Falcons haven’t been turned down by any coach, yet, because they haven’t offered the job to any coach, yet.

As I stated in a blog Tuesday night, after Bowles agreed to a deal with the Jets, this coaching search has the potential to set up nicely for the Falcons. They can meet for a second time with Seattle defensive coordinator Dan Quinn, their apparent preferred candidate, after Sunday’s NFC title game. There’s also nothing precluding them from speaking to Quinn’s agent now and working out the parameters of a deal, even if Quinn can’t sign with the Falcons until after the Seahawks’ season is over (as early as Sunday, as late as after the Super Bowl).

If the objective for a team is to get its No. 1 candidate, nothing has been lost.

Of the other coaching openings, former Denver coach John Fox could be headed to Chicago, Denver defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio to Oakland, Denver offensive coordinator Adam Gase to San Francisco and Baltimore offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak to the Broncos.

If the Broncos don’t get Kubiak or keep Gase, they become players for Quinn. I don’t believe the 49ers will target Quinn because they seemingly are leaning toward an offensive minded coach to work with quarterback Colin Kaepenick. If the Fox and/or Del Rio hires fall through, Quinn also becomes a potential candidate there, but the Falcons are clearly a better job than either Chicago or Oakland.

If the Falcons get Quinn, all is good (assuming you believe in Quinn). If they don’t get Quinn, then there could be problems. The job would fall to Detroit defensive coordinator Teryl Austin, New England offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels or another candidate.

On the chance it’s Quinn, I went back and read a Sports Illustrated story from August about the coach.

The headline on the story, written by Robert Klemko was: “The Next Great Coach.”

Immediately below the headline: “He’s obsessive in the film room, and his defense embarrassed Peyton Manning on the game’s biggest stage. But what really has Seattle coordinator Dan Quinn on the fast track is the trusting relationships he builds with players.”

Here are a few excerpts:

—>
“… Quinn had been on the job less than two months when he got on the phone with Michael Bennett, then a free agent in Tampa Bay and a former Quinn pupil. It was March 2013, and the Seahawks had signed former Lions defensive end Cliff Avril less than a day before. With so many accomplished pass rushers on the Seattle roster, Bennett was skeptical. Quinn was emphatic. ‘He convinced me he would use me to the best of my abilities. I trusted that.’ Bennett signed on for one year, and Quinn delivered. He moved (him) from end to tackle in nickel packages, and a year later the Seahawks rewarded his 8.5-sack season with a $28.5 million commitment. ‘He’s not married to a scheme; he wants you to grow,’ Bennett says of Quinn. …”

—>
“… For Quinn to become the
Next Big Thing
in coaching, his defense had to leave no doubt in Super Bowl XLVIII against Peyton Manning. In Quinn’s mind, that meant watching two years’ worth of Manning snaps in the week after the NFC Championship Game. That’s every snap Manning had yet taken for the Denver Broncos, watched, re-watched and mentally catalogued; 1,479 throws, 967 handoffs, 131 touchdowns, 24 interceptions and more audibles than there are minutes in a day. Says a close friend of Quinn’s, ‘He’s definitely an obsessive.’ …”

—>
“… (Cleveland) interviewed him once following the (2013) season, and he planned to turn down a second interview request until after the playoffs. Before the Seahawks won it all, Cleveland inked Bills defensive coordinator Mike Pettine, who led a 20th-ranked defense which broke the franchise record for sacks (57) in a 6-10 season. The Vikings brought Quinn in as a finalist and passed in favor of longtime Bengals coordinator Mike Zimmer. Pete Carroll was frustrated for Quinn, yet relieved for the Seahawks. … Quinn, on the coaching fast track, hasn’t spent longer than two seasons in a city since 2004. ‘It was a coup to get him back last year, much less this year,’ Carroll says. ‘But I don’t want to look at it that way. I want to help Dan get whatever job he wants because he’s a great coach.’ …”

Some lofty praise. Now the Falcons just need to sign him.

Edited by FalconsSavant

The Falcons didn’t hire Rex Ryan (who went to Buffalo but preferred the Falcons’ job) or Todd Bowles (who went to New York Jets and was never offered the Falcons’ job).

I understand the level of panic that exists in a perpetually damaged fan base. But here’s a reality check, people: The Falcons haven’t been turned down by any coach, yet, because they haven’t offered the job to any coach, yet.

As I stated in a blog Tuesday night, after Bowles agreed to a deal with the Jets, this coaching search has the potential to set up nicely for the Falcons. They can meet for a second time with Seattle defensive coordinator Dan Quinn, their apparent preferred candidate, after Sunday’s NFC title game. There’s also nothing precluding them from speaking to Quinn’s agent now and working out the parameters of a deal, even if Quinn can’t sign with the Falcons until after the Seahawks’ season is over (as early as Sunday, as late as after the Super Bowl).

If the objective for a team is to get its No. 1 candidate, nothing has been lost.

Of the other coaching openings, former Denver coach John Fox could be headed to Chicago, Denver defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio to Oakland, Denver offensive coordinator Adam Gase to San Francisco and Baltimore offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak to the Broncos.

If the Broncos don’t get Kubiak or keep Gase, they become players for Quinn. I don’t believe the 49ers will target Quinn because they seemingly are leaning toward an offensive minded coach to work with quarterback Colin Kaepenick. If the Fox and/or Del Rio hires fall through, Quinn also becomes a potential candidate there, but the Falcons are clearly a better job than either Chicago or Oakland.

If the Falcons get Quinn, all is good (assuming you believe in Quinn). If they don’t get Quinn, then there could be problems. The job would fall to Detroit defensive coordinator Teryl Austin, New England offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels or another candidate.

On the chance it’s Quinn, I went back and read a Sports Illustrated story from August about the coach.

The headline on the story, written by Robert Klemko was: “The Next Great Coach.”

Immediately below the headline: “He’s obsessive in the film room, and his defense embarrassed Peyton Manning on the game’s biggest stage. But what really has Seattle coordinator Dan Quinn on the fast track is the trusting relationships he builds with players.”

Here are a few excerpts:

—>
“… Quinn had been on the job less than two months when he got on the phone with Michael Bennett, then a free agent in Tampa Bay and a former Quinn pupil. It was March 2013, and the Seahawks had signed former Lions defensive end Cliff Avril less than a day before. With so many accomplished pass rushers on the Seattle roster, Bennett was skeptical. Quinn was emphatic. ‘He convinced me he would use me to the best of my abilities. I trusted that.’ Bennett signed on for one year, and Quinn delivered. He moved (him) from end to tackle in nickel packages, and a year later the Seahawks rewarded his 8.5-sack season with a $28.5 million commitment. ‘He’s not married to a scheme; he wants you to grow,’ Bennett says of Quinn. …”

—>
“… For Quinn to become the
Next Big Thing
in coaching, his defense had to leave no doubt in Super Bowl XLVIII against Peyton Manning. In Quinn’s mind, that meant watching two years’ worth of Manning snaps in the week after the NFC Championship Game. That’s every snap Manning had yet taken for the Denver Broncos, watched, re-watched and mentally catalogued; 1,479 throws, 967 handoffs, 131 touchdowns, 24 interceptions and more audibles than there are minutes in a day. Says a close friend of Quinn’s, ‘He’s definitely an obsessive.’ …”

—>
“… (Cleveland) interviewed him once following the (2013) season, and he planned to turn down a second interview request until after the playoffs. Before the Seahawks won it all, Cleveland inked Bills defensive coordinator Mike Pettine, who led a 20th-ranked defense which broke the franchise record for sacks (57) in a 6-10 season. The Vikings brought Quinn in as a finalist and passed in favor of longtime Bengals coordinator Mike Zimmer. Pete Carroll was frustrated for Quinn, yet relieved for the Seahawks. … Quinn, on the coaching fast track, hasn’t spent longer than two seasons in a city since 2004. ‘It was a coup to get him back last year, much less this year,’ Carroll says. ‘But I don’t want to look at it that way. I want to help Dan get whatever job he wants because he’s a great coach.’ …”

Some lofty praise. Now the Falcons just need to sign him.

Quinn was tabbed as, Next Great Coach, but can Falcons get him? January 14, 2015 | Filed in: Atlanta Falcons / NFL. facebook twitter google email Comments 27 Seattle defensive coordinator Dan Quinn could be Falcons' next head coach. (AP photo) Seattle defensive coordinator Dan Quinn could be Falcons next head coach. (AP photo) The Falcons didnt hire Rex Ryan (who went to Buffalo but preferred the Falcons job) or Todd Bowles (who went to New York Jets and was never offered the Falcons job). I understand the level of panic that exists in a perpetually damaged fan base. But heres a reality check, people: The Falcons havent been turned down by any coach, yet, because they havent offered the job to any coach, yet. As I stated in a blog Tuesday night, after Bowles agreed to a deal with the Jets, this coaching search has the potential to set up nicely for the Falcons. They can meet for a second time with Seattle defensive coordinator Dan Quinn, their apparent preferred candidate, after Sundays NFC title game. Theres also nothing precluding them from speaking to Quinns agent now and working out the parameters of a deal, even if Quinn cant sign with the Falcons until after the Seahawks season is over (as early as Sunday, as late as after the Super Bowl). If the objective for a team is to get its No. 1 candidate, nothing has been lost. Of the other coaching openings, former Denver coach John Fox could be headed to Chicago, Denver defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio to Oakland, Denver offensive coordinator Adam Gase to San Francisco and Baltimore offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak to the Broncos. If the Broncos dont get Kubiak or keep Gase, they become players for Quinn. I dont believe the 49ers will target Quinn because they seemingly are leaning toward an offensive minded coach to work with quarterback Colin Kaepenick. If the Fox and/or Del Rio hires fall through, Quinn also becomes a potential candidate there, but the Falcons are clearly a better job than either Chicago or Oakland. If the Falcons get Quinn, all is good (assuming you believe in Quinn). If they dont get Quinn, then there could be problems. The job would fall to Detroit defensive coordinator Teryl Austin, New England offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels or another candidate. On the chance its Quinn, I went back and read a Sports Illustrated story from August about the coach. The headline on the story, written by Robert Klemko was: The Next Great Coach. Immediately below the headline: Hes obsessive in the film room, and his defense embarrassed Peyton Manning on the games biggest stage. But what really has Seattle coordinator Dan Quinn on the fast track is the trusting relationships he builds with players. Here are a few excerpts: > Quinn had been on the job less than two months when he got on the phone with Michael Bennett, then a free agent in Tampa Bay and a former Quinn pupil. It was March 2013, and the Seahawks had signed former Lions defensive end Cliff Avril less than a day before. With so many accomplished pass rushers on the Seattle roster, Bennett was skeptical. Quinn was emphatic. He convinced me he would use me to the best of my abilities. I trusted that. Bennett signed on for one year, and Quinn delivered. He moved (him) from end to tackle in nickel packages, and a year later the Seahawks rewarded his 8.5-sack season with a $28.5 million commitment. Hes not married to a scheme; he wants you to grow, Bennett says of Quinn. > For Quinn to become the Next Big Thing in coaching, his defense had to leave no doubt in Super Bowl XLVIII against Peyton Manning. In Quinns mind, that meant watching two years worth of Manning snaps in the week after the NFC Championship Game. Thats every snap Manning had yet taken for the Denver Broncos, watched, re-watched and mentally catalogued; 1,479 throws, 967 handoffs, 131 touchdowns, 24 interceptions and more audibles than there are minutes in a day. Says a close friend of Quinns, Hes definitely an obsessive. > (Cleveland) interviewed him once following the (2013) season, and he planned to turn down a second interview request until after the playoffs. Before the Seahawks won it all, Cleveland inked Bills defensive coordinator Mike Pettine, who led a 20th-ranked defense which broke the franchise record for sacks (57) in a 6-10 season. The Vikings brought Quinn in as a finalist and passed in favor of longtime Bengals coordinator Mike Zimmer. Pete Carroll was frustrated for Quinn, yet relieved for the Seahawks. Quinn, on the coaching fast track, hasnt spent longer than two seasons in a city since 2004. It was a coup to get him back last year, much less this year, Carroll says. But I dont want to look at it that way. I want to help Dan get whatever job he wants because hes a great coach. Some lofty praise. Now the Falcons just need to sign him.

lol cmon guys yall are lazy as phuk

see its fun when you quote all that, see how that makes your thread look

If he's the next great coach, then it guarantees we will pass on him and hire McDaniels. Then we will be looking for a new GM(well possibly 3, since Blank loves multiple GM's) and a new HC.

By the way, since we are doing this 3 GM style, let's try 3 HC's as well. Quinn as the HC of the defense. McDaniels the HC of the offense and Armstrong as the HC of the ST's. They all answer to Jerry Jones...I mean Blank.

If he's the next great coach, then it guarantees we will pass on him and hire McDaniels. Then we will be looking for a new GM(well possibly 3, since Blank loves multiple GM's) and a new HC.

By the way, since we are doing this 3 GM style, let's try 3 HC's as well. Quinn as the HC of the defense. McDaniels the HC of the offense and Armstrong as the HC of the ST's. They all answer to Jerry Jones...I mean Blank.

I think this will certainly be successful setup. While at it let us bring in Bobby Cox to manage all these HC as well. You say Bobby Cox is baseball manager. What is so different between Baseball and Football. Both the games have Ball in it and Bobby Cox can certainly manage it.

Quoting the SI article:

“One of the things I’ve learned from Coach [Pete] Carroll is how to use our featured players,” Quinn says. “There’s a tendency to say, oh, he doesn’t fit the system. Coach Carroll is more like, what does he have that’s special?”

That means letting oversized safety Kam Chancellor set the edge in the run game and putting cornerback Richard Sherman in press situations on the line of scrimmage, and of course, matching up Bennett on occasion against lumbering offensive guards.

“All of those guys are so unique,” Quinn says. “You ask yourself, how can we feature them?”

Coach Carroll said “Our situation in the season worked against him. We played so late that people had to make decisions. Teams get antsy, seeing coaches start to get hired and they couldn’t wait for him, but he’s going to be a head coach very soon.”