Falcons Front Office Is A Mess.....it Is Playing Out In Front Of The Entire Nfl For All To See...

g-dawg

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, but sometimes the foundation is unstable and the structure needs to be torn down.

Perhaps, but look at the Cleveland Browns. They're a classic example of why it is not good to just repeatedly revamp the organization time after time without allowing any continuity to develop.

Actually we know nothing but what the media tells us, and they have no insider knowledge at all. I do admit, the Falcons current management structure looks convoluted and cumbersome from the outside. But all that matters is winning, We really cannot make any logical judgement until we see the new HC and his staff in action in the following seasons. Nor can we really judge the current FO until we see how they perform in FA and the draft.

Yes, I am an unabashed "homer," but I have no problem at all with being critical of the Falcons when I perceive a problem. But at this time, I will just be patient until I see what kind of product they put on the field next season.

The Falcons and Hawks are starting to change position locally and nationally: soon no one will want to play for the Falcons due to incompetent management and coaching, while the opposite is (finally) happening for the Hawks. And all Blank had to do was clean house, hire competent football minds, and get out of the way to prevent this.

OK, so we will take your word over sports media who report the story. got it!wink.png

I didn't say take my word. I said take common sense. You are not going to badmouth the team in front of the person you want to give a job to. You could say something like we do not have a ton of defensive talent and then ask how they would improve that, but you are not going to be throwing people under the bus. If you are throwing people under the bus so easily, then the candidate is not going to want to work for you, because that means they will get thrown under the bus. One of the reasons I wanted TD gone was because he threw Smitty under the bus instead of taking more blame.

Actually we know nothing but what the media tells us, and they have no insider knowledge at all. I do admit, the Falcons current management structure looks convoluted and cumbersome from the outside. But all that matters is winning, We really cannot make any logical judgement until we see the new HC and his staff in action in the following seasons. Nor can we really judge the current FO until we see how they perform in FA and the draft.

Yes, I am an unabashed "homer," but I have no problem at all with being critical of the Falcons when I perceive a problem. But at this time, I will just be patient until I see what kind of product they put on the field next season.

the NFL media has proved to be right on some things that can be verified:

• Chan Gailey will be Todd Bowles/NYJ's OC
  • Rumor was out there before Broncos/Colts game that John Fox likely out in Denver
  • Rex had Buffalo job in his back pocket if Falcons did not take him.

I didn't say take my word. I said take common sense. You are not going to badmouth the team in front of the person you want to give a job to. You could say something like we do not have a ton of defensive talent and then ask how they would improve that, but you are not going to be throwing people under the bus. If you are throwing people under the bus so easily, then the candidate is not going to want to work for you, because that means they will get thrown under the bus. One of the reasons I wanted TD gone was because he threw Smitty under the bus instead of taking more blame.

well, find someone disputing that claim. McKay did not say it in an "azz-hole" way - i'm sure vasaline was used by McKay when sliding it in.

this is not me at the keyboard making up -ish.

this is sportsmedia. if you don't like it, fine.

Sportsmedia also said that Ryan was next coach here, that TD was impressed by Rex, that McDaniels isn't leaving NE, that both Ryan and Bowles gave the Falcons a chance to make an offer and they said no thanks, that TD is still in charge of draft picks and FA.

You're perfectly happy to ignore that.

You're focusing in on what fits your ideas about the FO are and ignoring what doesn't.

If the Falcons end up with Quinn or Austin, then they've had a really successful coaching search.

Every single thing that people are pointing to as evidence of a dysfunctional front office has another interpretation.

not signing Ryan & Bowles- not their first choice.

3 GMs? No, only one- Devaney and Pioli report to TD. Bringing in experienced help should be seen as a sign of strength, not weakness.

Only exception is having Blank choose the HC and having him report directly to Blank, but, it is his team.

0-2

There is reason for concern,anyone who watched Blanks news conference could see the tension.The great corporate business leader is a little heavy handed as an owner.This interview\ coach search has not been a pretty sight but remember its not over yet.We could still end up with Quinn or Austin and be better off than the Jets and the Bills.Another thing , its going to take at least a year to evaluate whoever gets the job.

this is really embarrassing. this stuff coming out today is just confirming a lot of our suspicions.

Arthur is just too close to all of this. He is trying......but he is trying too hard. Arthur is trying to build this fortress of front office and executive talent - because he does not trust his head guy - Dimitroff.

In the last year, Arthur has brought in:

• Scott Pioli (former GM)
  • Billy Devaney (former GM)
  • never fired Rich McKay (former GM)
  • hired Korn Ferry - who is STILL INVOLVED (why?)
  • hired Joe Banner as a consultant

We hear today that Rich McKay is leading the interviews. In the room is Arthur Blank, Rich McKay, Thomas Dimitroff, Scott Pioli and some Korn Ferry guy in the corner - FIVE people in the room - to interview the head coaching candidate.

McKay is openly telling the HC candidates - "We have F'd up the draft and have no defensive talent"....

Bowles said he felt the pressure in Atlanta right now felt a lot hotter than his other coaching interviews.

In NFL circles, there is a lot of uncertainty about the Falcons front office.

It's F'd up.....if you take off your homer glasses, you can see it clearly.

So the Bills are a mess too, right?

I mean Rex interviewed with Terry Pegula, his wife Kim, Doug Whaley, Russ Brandon, etc.

Is that somehow less messy?

Does it go from "perfectly executed" to "messy" once you go from 4 to 5?

I don't think the fact that two Head Coaches who we were considering decided not to go with us is a sign that the front office is in disarray. It's not like we made them an offer and they declined and took the other gigs, we didn't even make them an offer despite knowing that other teams were heavily interested. I think the front office has someone in their sights and is doing just fine. As others have mentioned, other teams have multiple people involved in the interviews as well. It makes sense considering all the pieces that play a part in a successful NFL team.

Edited by FatalProphet

McKay is openly telling the HC candidates - "We have F'd up the draft and have no defensive talent"....

That is the dumbest thing anybody can do. That will demoralize the entire team. Nobody in right mind will ever do that. McKay is a president of a Billion $ company. He did not become one by being dumb, Let me tell you believing everything that you read on newspaper is real dumb.

a well thought out response - I grant you that.

Here are a few questions for you:

1. Why is Thomas Dimitroff still GM if Falcons are being so transparent with all the personnel mistakes?
  2. Why is Pioli in charge of the draft/free agency, but Blank felt the need to still say Thomas has final say?

I don't think there are any good answers to those questions - and there have been no answers.

I will give you my guesses to those answers.

1. Arthur just really likes Thomas and does not want to fire him - wants to move Thomas out but not harm his personal reputation so Thomas has a year to find a soft landing spot.
  2. Thomas really does not have final say on personnel - simply a way to "save face" for Thomas by the throwaway line that Thomas has "final say over personnel" so it does not look like a demotion.

Granted, I cannot prove my conclusion/guess answers to those questions above - but I think it is the most logical answers and most here would probably agree.

Then, you talk about "Arthur Blank the great businessman". As the great agent Bob Sugar once said, "This is not 'show-friends' this is 'show-business'.

I think Thomas is still the GM because Blank believes that in spite of his mistakes, he still has ability and will be valuable moving forward. He's made some great moves getting Ryan, Turner, Julio (paid a lot but you can't say Julio has disappointed), and more recently Trufant looks like a stud. Matthews also had a good year considering his injuries.

TD's biggest weakness has been assessing linemen. I think the Falcons feel that if he has sufficient support to help make up for that then he can be a top notch executive and want to give him a chance to become that. Make no mistake, TD is very highly thought of around the league. If we let him go he'd have a new job tomorrow. Blank probably isn't used to letting guys go who the competition would instantly snatch up.

I think with Pioli the Falcons are trying to give TD that support he needs. Giving him a greater voice isn't a problem but you want to make sure that everyone knows you're not marginalizing TD. You want Pioli to be an asset to help TD, not a replacement.

Dont underestimate the importance of the fact these two have worked together before. I think they're hoping the two together will make up for each other's weaknesses.

To me, if Blank was one to let his personal feelings affect his business judgment, Smith would still be the coach. He could have easily sold another year of Smitty to the fans. Smith's overall record as the coach was good, the players loved him, and the Falcons were a bit better this year than last. I'm also fairly certain that Blank likes Smith more personally than he does TD. But Blank knows business is business and he didn't see Smith being of value to his business moving forward.

That's the difference. There was no confidence that Smith would bring anything of value to the Falcons while there still is confidence that TD could.