Falcons Front Office Is A Mess.....it Is Playing Out In Front Of The Entire Nfl For All To See...

g-dawg

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

this is really embarrassing. this stuff coming out today is just confirming a lot of our suspicions.

Arthur is just too close to all of this. He is trying......but he is trying too hard. Arthur is trying to build this fortress of front office and executive talent - because he does not trust his head guy - Dimitroff.

In the last year, Arthur has brought in:

• Scott Pioli (former GM)
  • Billy Devaney (former GM)
  • never fired Rich McKay (former GM)
  • hired Korn Ferry - who is STILL INVOLVED (why?)
  • hired Joe Banner as a consultant

We hear today that Rich McKay is leading the interviews. In the room is Arthur Blank, Rich McKay, Thomas Dimitroff, Scott Pioli and some Korn Ferry guy in the corner - FIVE people in the room - to interview the head coaching candidate.

McKay is openly telling the HC candidates - "We have F'd up the draft and have no defensive talent"....

Bowles said he felt the pressure in Atlanta right now felt a lot hotter than his other coaching interviews.

In NFL circles, there is a lot of uncertainty about the Falcons front office.

It's F'd up.....if you take off your homer glasses, you can see it clearly.

Took the words right out my mouth... You're right but these guys would rather come in and make punch lines than take off those homer specs.

So, Dawg, couple of questions:

How many people should be involved in hiring the leader of a billion $ organization?

Why is interviewing with multiple people at once a problem? Do you really think that other teams are interviewing one on one?

And with Bowles, he just hired Chan Gailey as an OC, would that have made you happy here?

So we have the normal amount of GMs, Ast. GMs, Presidents, Owners, and consultants.

So our 5 hour interviews are full of pressure.

Will the two guys that wanted to be here but were not offered provide an accurate assessment of the process? Do you trust the opinions of people on the organization that just rejected them? Or the media, whose job it is to generate drama to keep their audience?

Don't be a puppet. If we wanted Rex or Bowles, we'd have signed them.

Blank wants to hire SB winners. Quinn gave the best first rd intv. Should we be mad they are holding.out for their first choice? Is that dysfunction?

So, Dawg, couple of questions:

How many people should be involved in hiring the leader of a billion $ organization?

Why is interviewing with multiple people at once a problem? Do you really think that other teams are interviewing one on one?

And with Bowles, he just hired Chan Gailey as an OC, would that have made you happy here?

none of the other organizations have a lame-duck General Manager

who is the General Manager?

why is Rich McKay leading the interview?

why is Rich McKay talking about the 'bad personnel' on defense in front of Dimitroff and the new HC candidate being interviewed?

what is the new HC candidate supposed to say when being asked about the quality (or lack thereof) of personnel in front of the castrated GM?

why does the HC have to report directly to the Owner?

If Pioli is in charge of leading pro personnel and the draft - why does Dimitroff have final say?

who is in charge? do you know?

who is in charge in New England? who is in charge in Seattle? Do you even have to think about those questions?

WHO IS IN CHARGE? that actually is in the football business...

none of the other organizations have a lame-duck General Manager

who is the General Manager?

why is Rich McKay leading the interview?

why is Rich McKay talking about the 'bad personnel' on defense in front of Dimitroff?

why does the HC have to report directly to the Owner?

If Pioli is in charge of leading pro personnel and the draft - why does Dimitroff have final say?

who is in charge? do you know?

who is in charge in New England? who is in charge in Seattle? Do you even have to think about those questions?

McKay is in charge of the stadium, with Banner helping him, TD in charge of football operations with Piloi and Devaney under him. Blank is in charge of hiring a HC.

TD and Pioli's relationship is the same exact structure that Newsome and his asst GM have, nobody calls that dysfunctional.

lame duck is your assumption, Mckay is leading the interview because he's the president of the club. Pioli does the legwork, TD makes the decisions.

Don't like the HC reporting to the owner, but its his team.

Edit: not comparing TD to Newsome, just the structure of their respective organizations

this is really embarrassing. this stuff coming out today is just confirming a lot of our suspicions.

McKay is openly telling the HC candidates - "We have F'd up the draft and have no defensive talent"....

Bowles said he felt the pressure in Atlanta right now felt a lot hotter than his other coaching interviews.

I agree that we have made a mess out of the FO, and not to doubt you but where did you hear the two bolded parts, especially the first one about McKay?

I agree that we have made a mess out of the FO, and not to doubt you but where did you hear the two bolded parts, especially the first one about McKay?

that all came from 680-the-fan, Steak Shapiro and Jason LaConfora this morning - believe there is a Washington Post article as well referencing this stuff - from the 680 report - if I find the article, I will post it here.

Arthur is just too close to all of this. He is trying......but he is trying too hard. Arthur is trying to build this fortress of front office and executive talent - because he does not trust his head guy - Dimitroff.

In the last year, Arthur has brought in:

• Scott Pioli (former GM)
  • Billy Devaney (former GM)
  • never fired Rich McKay (former GM)
  • hired Korn Ferry - who is STILL INVOLVED (why?)
  • hired Joe Banner as a consultant

We hear today that Rich McKay is leading the interviews. In the room is Arthur Blank, Rich McKay, Thomas Dimitroff, Scott Pioli and some Korn Ferry guy in the corner - FIVE people in the room - to interview the head coaching candidate.

LOL man, you're acting like this is a bold-faced lie. This is the truth. You all have been complaining about this for years. Why is the FO ADMITTING this suddenly a problem?

If this is true, the FO is basically saying "we are lacking in talent on the defensive side, how would you go about fixing it?" Isn't this what most of us on TAFT were clamoring for? Fix the defense?

Where's the uncertainty? They're clearly being very transparent about the team's problems, as they should be. Why is this a problem? Because it's embarrassing?

Edited by JerseyNo12

No way in **** we are going to admit that we ****** up in the draft and have no talent on defense. CMON son.

call 680-the-fan and Steak Shapiro then and call him out - he's re-told this story 3 times in the last 2 hours that I have been listening.

Like him or not, I have never found Shapiro to be a liar. He is basing this on Washington Post and LaConfora. two different sources.

I'm not making it up. I'm sure I was not the only one that listened to 680 this morning - someone else can confirm what I heard - more than once.

There are a couple things that make me think the front office turmoil is being overblown. First, a lot of conclusions seem to be being drawn prematurely. The inaction on Ryan and Bowles could be due to front office strife and inaction. That's a possibility and I feel like a lot of people are coming to that conclusion on this evidence alone, writers included. However, it is also completely possible that Ryan and Bowles were more backup options for the Falcons. This is possibly why when both contacted Atlanta to give the Falcons a chance to offer, no offer came. In this case, the strife element would be overblown.

Second, the Falcons have done a poor job explaining the front office situation to the public. That press release they put out was less than clear. People are assuming this means a less than clear structure. However it could also mean the Falcons simply don't feel the need to go in depth in explaining their corporate structure.

Next people are jumping all over what is being talked about in the interviews. I personally applaud what they're saying. The Falcons front seven is terrible. A new coach is going to have to address that and how they address that is something that should be talked about. I would want it talked about. TD is a big boy. No reason to spare his feelings. He knows more than anyone how many misses he's had in the draft.

Admitting your mistakes and being open and honest (at least in the organization if not with the public) about them is the sign of a well run organization, not one where people are struggling for power.

Finally, all of the conclusions about the turmoil in the front office hinges on the idea that Blank has bumbled in and messed everything up. It's as if people assume Blank has no idea what he's doing. This I think is dead wrong. Blank might not be a football guy but he's as good a businessman as there is. If he knows anything, it's how to run a company. Blank would never have run Home Depot the way people are assuming he's running the Falcons. So why are they assuming he's running the Falcons that way?

One thing I can almost guarantee you is that Blank has a chain of command established. It might not be public but it's there.

Assuming Blank is inept at running a business is a mistake. The Falcons are a business.

call 680-the-fan and Steak Shapiro then and call him out - he's re-told this story 3 times in the last 2 hours that I have been listening.

Like him or not, I have never found Shapiro to be a liar. He is basing this on Washington Post and LaConfora. two different sources.

I'm not making it up. I'm sure I was not the only one that listened to 680 this morning - someone else can confirm what I heard - more than once.

Yeah, but have no context for that either- he might have been fishing to see if the coach said- "that's not true, you've got some nice pieces to build around."

So, would you have liked Gailey as an OC?

Guest Negatorris

Nobody here works in the front office, nor are they fed information from anyone who works in our FO. This is all just assumptions that whatever the media is reporting is truth, because they've never been wrong before.

LOL man, you're acting like this is a bold-faced lie. This is the truth. You all have been complaining about this for years. Why is the FO ADMITTING this suddenly a problem?

If this is true, the FO is basically saying "we are lacking in talent on the defensive side, how would you go about fixing it?" Isn't this what most of us on TAFT were clamoring for? Fix the defense?

Where's the uncertainty? They're clearly being very transparent about the team's problems, as they should be. Why is this a problem? Because it's embarrassing?

duh.

of course it is the truth. but why is Dimitroff still here? he basically is being humiliated in front of the new Head Coaching candidates and shamed. I agree that Dimitroff has failed the Falcons on the defensive side of the ball and overall. That is kind of my point.

The fact that the Falcons are being so transparent about our GM's failures is probably confusing to the HC candidates - i'm sure what they are thinking but not saying is "How does this guy still have a job and why am I supposed to feel good about it?"

It is just another bizarre twist in the front office dynamic - it also makes it look like the head coach(Smitty) was the fall guy for the GM's mistakes.

And sources are wrong all the time. McKay is not a dumbass. He is not going to openly bash his team( players and GM) in front of someone they want to give a job to. This is straight TMZ reporting.

There are a couple things that make me think the front office turmoil is being overblown. First, a lot of conclusions seem to be being drawn prematurely. The inaction on Ryan and Bowles could be due to front office strife and inaction. That's a possibility and I feel like a lot of people are coming to that conclusion on this evidence alone, writers included. However, it is also completely possible that Ryan and Bowles were more backup options for the Falcons. This is possibly why when both contacted Atlanta to give the Falcons a chance to offer, no offer came. In this case, the strife element would be overblown.

Second, the Falcons have done a poor job explaining the front office situation to the public. That press release they put out was less than clear. People are assuming this means a less than clear structure. However it could also mean the Falcons simply don't feel the need to go in depth in explaining their corporate structure.

Next people are jumping all over what is being talked about in the interviews. I personally applaud what they're saying. The Falcons front seven is terrible. A new coach is going to have to address that and how they address that is something that should be talked about. I would want it talked about. TD is a big boy. No reason to spare his feelings. He knows more than anyone how many misses he's had in the draft.

Admitting your mistakes and being open and honest (at least in the organization if not with the public) about them is the sign of a well run organization, not one where people are struggling for power.

Finally, all of the conclusions about the turmoil in the front office hinges on the idea that Blank has bumbled in and messed everything up. It's as if people assume Blank has no idea what he's doing. This I think is dead wrong. Blank might not be a football guy but he's as good a businessman as there is. If he knows anything, it's how to run a company. Blank would never have run Home Depot the way people are assuming he's running the Falcons. So why are they assuming he's running the Falcons that way?

One thing I can almost guarantee you is that Blank has a chain of command established. It might not be public but it's there.

Assuming Blank is inept at running a business is a mistake. The Falcons are a business.

a well thought out response - I grant you that.

Here are a few questions for you:

1. Why is Thomas Dimitroff still GM if Falcons are being so transparent with all the personnel mistakes?
  2. Why is Pioli in charge of the draft/free agency, but Blank felt the need to still say Thomas has final say?

I don't think there are any good answers to those questions - and there have been no answers.

I will give you my guesses to those answers.

1. Arthur just really likes Thomas and does not want to fire him - wants to move Thomas out but not harm his personal reputation so Thomas has a year to find a soft landing spot.
  2. Thomas really does not have final say on personnel - simply a way to "save face" for Thomas by the throwaway line that Thomas has "final say over personnel" so it does not look like a demotion.

Granted, I cannot prove my conclusion/guess answers to those questions above - but I think it is the most logical answers and most here would probably agree.

Then, you talk about "Arthur Blank the great businessman". As the great agent Bob Sugar once said, "This is not 'show-friends' this is 'show-business'.

And sources are wrong all the time. McKay is not a dumbass. He is not going to openly bash his team( players and GM) in front of someone they want to give a job to. This is straight TMZ reporting.

OK, so we will take your word over sports media who report the story. got it!wink.png

duh.

of course it is the truth. but why is Dimitroff still here? he basically is being humiliated in front of the new Head Coaching candidates and shamed. I agree that Dimitroff has failed the Falcons on the defensive side of the ball and overall. That is kind of my point.

The fact that the Falcons are being so transparent about our GM's failures is probably confusing to the HC candidates - i'm sure what they are thinking but not saying is "How does this guy still have a job and why am I supposed to feel good about it?"

It is just another bizarre twist in the front office dynamic - it also makes it look like the head coach(Smitty) was the fall guy for the GM's mistakes.

Continuity is an all important factor. If one is willing to just completely tear down the the structure right down to its foundation (on really just a whim) then that more than anything else signals instability. I think this is why GM's typically aren't so easily released and are typically allowed at least two HCs.

Some of you were saying "fire Smitty" after the 2013 season and even in the middle of this past season. He was granted a one year extension. That at least sends the message that this organization is committed to maintaining continuity.

Edited by JerseyNo12

Continuity is an all important factor. If one is willing to just completely tear down the the structure right down to its foundation then that more than anything else signals instability. I think this is why GM's typically aren't so easily released and are typically allowed at least two HCs.

yeah, but sometimes the foundation is unstable and the structure needs to be torn down.