Listening To 680 This Morning Re: Falcons Coaching Search....wow

Steak/Cellini

• Bowles/Bowles agent called Falcons - we are getting an offer from Jets - do you want to make us an offer? Falcons response: NO, we are sticking with "the process"
  • Bowles felt there was much more pressure in Flowery Branch/Falcons than the other places he interviewed.
  • It does not feel like Arthur Blank's presence is helping the Falcons right now
  • Rich McKay is leading the interviews and is conceding that the personnel is awful (lol, while Dimitroff is sitting in the room)
  • waaaaay too many people in these interviews.

Steak interviewing LaConfora:

• 1st interview w/ Teryl Austin - Pioli challenges Austin on his selections for OC/DC which are 1st time coordinators - Pioli, you are a 1st time head coach and you want to bring in 1st time coordinators? Austin response: well I'm a first time coordinator, too - <burn>
  • Some feedback from coaching candidates - rather overwhelming and confusing with Blank, McKay, Pioli and Dimitroff - lots of cooks in the kitchen
  • Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think people are panicking and looking for answers when the reality is two hires have been made so far and it's not really a big deal. I'd have had a MUCH BIGGER issue if our FO just hired Bowles b/c the Jets made a play and Bowles used that as leverage. If they weren't absolutely sure and wanted a second interview that they didn't get then good luck to Todd Bowles. I don't care how "hot a name" he is...you can't choose your next HC by making panic moves or because the fan base is afraid that if you don't hire a guy this week instead of 3 weeks from now something is wrong.

I'm really interested in the Pioli/Austin thing.

Hasnt anyone around here been asked a challenging question in a job interview? This is a high pressure business with the HC having a TON on his plate. I don't think asking a question like that is out of bounds at all.

I agree! I ask tough questions in interviews all the time. One thing that is unclear is the demeanor in which it was asked. Just because it was asked doesn't mean that it confrontational. NOTE: I am not saying it wasn't confrontational! I am just saying that anyone not in the room could spin that easily to make a headline.

Hasnt anyone around here been asked a challenging question in a job interview? This is a high pressure business with the HC having a TON on his plate. I don't think asking a question like that is out of bounds at all.

people perceive it to be said condescendingly ... because that's what they want to believe (the sky is falling). He just asked him a tough question because that is his job!

Now they're making this case for Keith Armstrong not getting a 2nd interview. I like Armstrong and I know some people are pointing to Harbaugh as ST coach that had HC success but the reality may be that for the great sound bytes and fiery attitude we saw Armstrong might not have won anyone over that he's ready to be the HC.

I just think they're grasping at straws now and trying to make things a bigger deal than they are.

I agree! I ask tough questions in interviews all the time. One thing that is unclear is the demeanor in which it was asked. Just because it was asked doesn't mean that it confrontational. NOTE: I am not saying it wasn't confrontational! I am just saying that anyone not in the room could spin that easily to make a headline.

Even if it WERE confrontational.....so what?

My first "real" job involved two interviews. One with a recruiting coordinator and the other with a three person panel (office manager, General Counsel, Assistant General Counsel for a multi-billion dollar establishment). The General Counsel (who would have been my Big Boss) flat out called my educational qualifications dog ****. "You only had a B average at a non-competitive state school?" And I answered to the best of my ability.

I got a call and job offer less than a week later.

Football organizations need to have cohesiveness of philosophy but there will inevitably be times when individuals disagree with things. It's worth vetting in the interview process.

No, I don't think the question is out of bounds - and I loved Teryl Austin's response - he nailed it! I like Austin's bravado by shoving that question right back down Pissoli's throat. Mike Smith might have retreated back to Jacksonville if he got challenged like that.