Landon Collins

If Dante Fowler or Randy Gregory falls to us at 8, then I am all for drafting them. But what if they are gone by 8 and Landon Collins falls in our lap. Do you think it's worth the risk to go with Collins? I really love the way this kid plays and we're not exactly set at the safety position with a solid complimentary player to go alongside with Willy Mo. **** even Moore's injuries concern me. I believe that if we somehow pick up at least two valuable d-linemen in FA like Suh and Orakpo (and if Fowler and Gregory are gone), then we should pick up Collins and go with another defensive lineman in the 2nd. Could you imagine how it would be with Tru, Collins, Moore, and Alford? I just have a gut feeling that we're going to regret passing him up. Thoughts?

I am in favor of going strict BPA with the obvious exception of QBs, so if he's the highest rated player on our board still available at 8 then that's who we should pick. No more sacred cows. Lowery and Ishmael did well this season but that shouldn't preclude us from upgrading the position. We need upgrades basically everywhere.

I am in favor of going strict BPA with the obvious exception of QBs, so if he's the highest rated player on our board still available at 8 then that's who we should pick. No more sacred cows. Lowery and Ishmael did well this season but that shouldn't preclude us from upgrading the position. We need upgrades basically everywhere.

Ehh...Moore, Lowery, Ishmael and we just drafted Southward. Please avoid the safety position Falcons especially in the 1st Round.

Ehh...Moore, Lowery, Ishmael and we just drafted Southward. Please avoid the safety position Falcons especially in the 1st Round.

Bowles played a bunch of 3 safety packages this year, I don't know if it would be that bad of a pick if we get pass rushers in free agency.

This is the kind of thinking that got us where we are today. Moore is average on the very rare day that he's healthy at this point, Lowery is a stopgap, Ishmael is OK, and Southward was a big reach who has shown absolutely nothing to this point. If the #1 player left on our draft board is a safety, we should take a safety. It's not like we are Seattle.

This is the kind of thinking that got us where we are today. Moore is average on the very rare day that he's healthy at this point, Lowery is a stopgap, Ishmael is OK, and Southward was a big reach who has shown absolutely nothing to this point. If the #1 player left on our draft board is a safety, we should take a safety. It's not like we are Seattle.

Too many other glaring needs. A safety won't do us any help protecting Matt Ryan or getting to the other teams QB. Collins will be worthless when hes covering for 20 seconds a play because we have no pass rush.

This ^

Our safety play was pretty decent. Not to mention we have Ish and Southward who are very young players. And we had the least sacks in the entire league. Imagine how much better they would be if we had even an average pass rush. If Landon Collins is our highest rated player at 8 then trade the hail back. I can confidently say that there is no way on earth we take Landon Collins at 8.

We have capable players in the secondary -- not outstanding, but capable. Ishmael is a limited guy, but he has a role and fills it well, same with Lowery. Moore has taken a lot of flack after this year, but he's probably our 2nd best defensive player. He is only slightly worse than Eric Berry.

If we improve up front, those guys will look better too. Still, if Collins is rated higher than the top remaining pass rushers, I don't think that would be a bad pick, but perhaps a good opportunity to trade down too.

Edited by Dyinglobster

We are exactly on the same page b/c I share that same sentiment. I love Fowler and Gregory, but if they're gone at that point (and if we get Suh and another pass rusher in FA) then we need to go with the BPA on defense. To me Collins is a better defensive talent and has the highest ceiling out of Ray, Beasley, etc. I'd rather have Suh, Houston/Orakpo/JPP in FA, Collins in the 1st, and a DE (maybe Mario Edwards) in the 2nd. We play it a little too safe sometimes.

No. I'd rather stick Scherff or Collins at RT than take Collins. Say what you want but we are four deep at safety with all four being average and up. If you want to bolster the depth, take a mid round safety. A stronger front four makes this a better defense. When's the last time you really complained about our safety play?