Good News: Falcons Now Not Expected To Pursue John Fox

Kurtzyy

If we are doing our due diligence why not give him an interview? Just saying. We don't seem to be rushing things why not give the guy a look?

As much as I have preached the process, and following through with it, there has to be a limit. You can't just suspend everything and start a coach from scratch when you are already scheduling second interviews with your finalists. The only reason that I could see doing this, would be if you just really believed that he was heads and tails ahead of the other candidates, and I don't see that being the case.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys are completely right. Why hire a guy who has proven to be successful, has a great reputation around the league, and has only failed when he had a garbage quarterback? It's much better to take a flyer on someone with no experience as a head coach. Why would anyone doubt your opinions and incredibly sound logic?

EDIT: He actually succeeded and won a playoff game with one of the worst quarterbacks in NFL history. We definitely shouldn't consider him.

As much as I have preached the process, and following through with it, there has to be a limit. You can't just suspend everything and start a coach from scratch when you are already scheduling second interviews with your finalists. The only reason that I could see doing this, would be if you just really believed that he was heads and tails ahead of the other candidates, and I don't see that being the case.

If the idea is to have a coach for 10 + years, then your logic has some pretty gaping holes.

If the idea is to have a coach for 10 + years, then your logic has some pretty gaping holes.

Not really. You can't wait forever, and I did say that another could be looked at if they were a better option. It's up to you if you believe that Fox is said better option.

I hate to say it ..and flame away..but I think Fox could be a good hire. He's been successful and he actually has HC experience. All these other candidates we are looking at are rolls of the dice, and honestly none of them appeal to me all that much. We discuss them and discuss them, and pretty much try to paint as rosy a picture of Bowles, Austin, Quinn, etc. But they are not proven HCs at all, and there are maluses to all them as well.

Bottom line: Fox is a proven winner and might just get to a 3rd Super Bowl with a 3rd team - and win it this time. Bring in the right staff, maybe Schwartz, and the Falcons will not lose a step. Too bad we could not have kept Koetter though.

I wanted Rex, but Fox may just be the next best thing.

It would be silly for the Falcons not to interview Fox. Denver just may have solved our problems.

Guest facelessman07

Didn't you want Rex? C'mon man, fox is far superior than sexy rexy! If you want a new face I get that, but of retreads he's the best

Fox superior than Rex?? On what planet?

Give Rex all the talent Denver had on offense, including Manning, and watch the magic happen

Geez I can't believe people would compare John Fox to Mike Smith. This is a guy who went to the Super Bowl with Jake Delhomme and beat the Pittsburgh Steelers in the playoffs with Tim Tebow at QB. He has a winning record in the playoffs at 8-6 and has taken a team from each conference to the SB.

I don't get it, but OK.

Geez I can't believe people would compare John Fox to Mike Smith. This is a guy who went to the Super Bowl with Jake Delhomme and beat the Pittsburgh Steelers in the playoffs with Tim Tebow at QB. He has a winning record in the playoffs at 8-6 and has taken a team from each conference to the SB. I don't get it, but OK.

Fox is definitely a proven commodity, but ask a Panthers fan if they think it was a mistake to fire him. Because every one I know wanted him run out of town on the first rail out.

John Fox has had a great career as an NFL head coach. There is no denying that. However, I see him as a guy that does not really seem to be a difference maker on either side of the ball with X's and O's - that is where I think the Smitty comparison is valid.

Also, Fox is almost 60 years old and only one year removed from a heart attack. I don't see him having the energy that will be required to rebuild this Falcons team.

I salute Fox's career - but don't think he is what this team needs.

John Fox has had a great career as an NFL head coach. There is no denying that. However, I see him as a guy that does not really seem to be a difference maker on either side of the ball with X's and O's - that is where I think the Smitty comparison is valid.

Also, Fox is almost 60 years old and only one year removed from a heart attack. I don't see him having the energy that will be required to rebuild this Falcons team.

Shut up. Shut Up! SHUT UP!!!

You are making a logical analysis. That is strictly forbidden on the Atlanta Falcons Message Board.

As a man four years removed from a heart attack and open heart surgery, I can tell you that isn't an issue.

I don't have a problem with Falcons fans not wanting Fox, but I hope all those that do not want Fox are also the same one who did not wanted Ryan. Otherwise I can't phantom the logic behind people wanting Ryan but not Fox. 4 straight playoffs trump 4 straight non-winning seasons in any and all universe. Heck Fox had about as much success with Den as Harbaugh did with SF.

119-89 career record

8 payoff wins

2 super bowl appearances with 2 different teams (only 6 coaches have done this)

As a head coach or DC he has had 11 different teams with a top 10 defense in either yards or points.

The complaint around here is that none of the coaches available are qualified enough. Well what else do we want from a head coach? He took Jake Delhomme to the super bowl for crying out loud.

119-89 career record

8 payoff wins

2 super bowl appearances with 2 different teams (only 6 coaches have done this)

As a head coach or DC he has had 11 different teams with a top 10 defense in either yards or points.

The complaint around here is that none of the coaches available are qualified enough. Well what else do we want from a head coach? He took Jake Delhomme to the super bowl for crying out loud.

Remind me how he did with a future HOF'er in the super bowl. His team crapped the bed in the super bowl then got their faces rubbed in it over the weekend.

Remind me how he did with a future HOF'er in the super bowl. His team crapped the bed in the super bowl then got their faces rubbed in it over the weekend.

Remind me when was the last time the Falcons made it to the SB? As Falcons fans I don't think we are in any position to comment on how someone did in the SB, especially when some were hanging their hat on the "we were 10 yards away from the SB" 2 seasons ago.

Remind me when was the last time the Falcons made it to the SB? As Falcons fans I don't think we are in any position to comment on how someone did in the SB, especially when some were hanging their hat on the "we were 10 yards away from the SB" 2 seasons ago.

You're right I'm not sure what I was thinking. It makes perfect sense to bring in a coach that folds in the spotlight since that's not one of the things almost everyone on this board has bitched about to no end.

Yeah I am sure it is John Fox's fault that Peyton Manning wilted at the Super Bowl.

If Peyton is the problem why get rid of the coach? It would seem Denver doesn't think he's capable of winning. Judging by the comments around here it's either win the Super Bowl or nothing so if Fox couldn't do it in Denver why would anyone expect to him to be able to do it here? Are we really that much better than Denver that we only need a coach and boom we're a lock for the Super Bowl? Or is Fox just the scapegoat?