Has The New Generation Of Qbs Already Skipped Matt Ryan?

Matt+Ryan+Divisional+Playoffs+Green+Bay+russellwilson.jpgAndrew+Luck+Divisional+Playoffs+Indianap

For the record, I think Matt Ryan is a fantastic QB who has all the tools necessary to help a team win a championship. However, it is interesting to note that the way the 2015 playoffs is shaping, the Super Bowl could feature two teams with quarterbacks from the 2012 draft class, that being Russell Wilson and Andrew Luck. The window is closing on the Brady/Peyton era, which means we'll likely be seeing names such as Wilson, Luck, and Foles thrown around more often to represent the gold standard of franchise QBs.

In the midst of all the drama concerning the state of this franchise, Matt Ryan seems to have been forgotten. He came to this franchise in 2008 and was a big part of its seemingly instantaneous turnaround. And while this franchise has seen plenty of success while Matt has been under center, we've seen the likes of Wilson and Luck quickly elevated into stardom. However, it was Ryan (and Flacco) who helped pave the way for them, starting a trend of rookie signal callers who would play a significant role in turning dismal franchises into instant success stories. So where is Ryan now? Is he merely a stepping stone for a new generation of QBs? Or is he still forging his identity in what's seemingly becoming a more crowded bunch of quality players and teams?

Edited by JerseyNo12

Luck has. I think he typically makes more boneheaded decisions but the things he does to balance those bad decisions are things that Matt Ryan simply can't do.

Wilson is a maybe. He looks a little too lost too frequently. But when he's playing at his highest level, its better than Matt's.

Those two are special special players.

Personally I think Ryan is on par with Foles, Flacco (when he has decent o-line) and Wilson. I would rate Rodgers and Luck higher than Matt though but it's still not that much higher. What holds Ryan back, IMO, is he tends to want to force his throws late in games to Roddy or Julio, and if the throw is not there he is less likely to tuck the ball and run. That is when his INT's go up, when he is forced to make a bad throw, whereas more mobile Qb's like Wilson, Luck and even Rodgers - when healthy can rush for yardage that is crucial to extending plays.

Atlanta just needs to tailor their offense more next season around Ryan. Loosing a big TE threat in Gonzalez clearly showed this season. Maybe the Falcons can find someone late in the draft that can give them that size and agility that Gonzo had, while at the same time helping Ryan in the running game.

You really have to understand that Ryan has had little help in the running game the last two years and all those QB's you mentioned have stars at the running back position. Ryan has no one helping him.

Luck has. I think he typically makes more boneheaded decisions but the things he does to balance those bad decisions are things that Matt Ryan simply can't do.

Wilson is a maybe. He looks a little too lost too frequently. But when he's playing at his highest level, its better than Matt's.

Those two are special special players.

And they're a little luckier too. They got drafted after the new CBA, so, even with Luck, there's more money to spend.

Luck won a playoff game where he threw 3 picks and only won because half the other team's starters got injured during the game.

Wilson won a NFFCG where he fumbled on the very first play from scrimmage, gave the ball up deep in his own territory, his D kept the other team to a FG, then his counterpart turned the ball over on 3 consecutive drives in the fourth quarter.

Wilson played well in the super bowl, but his D allowed 8 points and scored 9.

Yeah, they are special talents, but they've benefited from circumstances.

I think it's better to compare teams vs players. Payton is a master qb but he's proven on many occasions even since college he can't do it on his own. He had a SB win but his defense had to step up for him to get it which they did.

Look at his brother Eli...one up on big brother. His Peyton has the stats but Eli has the rings.

I think it's better to compare teams vs players. Payton is a master qb but he's proven on many occasions even since college he can't do it on his own. He had a SB win but his defense had to step up for him to get it which they did.

Look at his brother Eli...one up on big brother. Yes Peyton has the stats but Eli has the rings. Eli played on better teams that came together at the right moment.

Edited by nomak

And they're a little luckier too. They got drafted after the new CBA, so, even with Luck, there's more money to spend.

Luck won a playoff game where he threw 3 picks and only won because half the other team's starters got injured during the game.

Wilson won a NFFCG where he fumbled on the very first play from scrimmage, gave the ball up deep in his own territory, his D kept the other team to a FG, then his counterpart turned the ball over on 3 consecutive drives in the fourth quarter.

Great point on the CBA.

Sure. And I think you can make an argument for Ryan's more consistent, stable level of play being preferable to Wilson's more erratic play.

I think it is stupid to try and categorize individual players like this, Ryan is 29, does not rely on athleticism and does improve every year and is highly dedicated QB who could most likely play another 10 years.

He could win several SB's still before he retires. This idea that an NFL QB has to do these things in this amount of time is stupid.

The numbers says yes

Matt Ryan is a Top 10 QB.

The numbers you are pontificating also omit Payton Manning.

Might as well throw Bradi and Drew into that same discussion,

because those 3 guys are getting to be older than dirt by NFL years.

Honestly you try to sound jelous because we are not in the playoffs and

throwing Matt Ryan under the bus, when in fact it is the Two Headed Piolitroff

that failed to produce decent players for our defense, nor did they bring

in a decent DC.

But yes by all means this is a Matt Ryan hate thread cleary started by a Taints

fan posing in TATF.

GTFO!

Give him any defense from the past Super Bowl winners from 08 till 13 and he most likely have a ring by then.

Story of our franchise since he got here..NO D.

This... our defense since smitty has been here has been terrible... 2012 was the best we had and what happened? almost went to the super bowl till our D got exposed

Matt Ryan is a Top 10 QB.

The numbers you are pontificating also omit Payton Manning.

Might as well throw Bradi and Drew into that same discussion,

because those 3 guys are getting to be older than dirt by NFL years.

Honestly you try to sound jelous because we are not in the playoffs and

throwing Matt Ryan under the bus, when in fact it is the Two Headed Piolitroff

that failed to produce decent players for our defense, nor did they bring

in a decent DC.

But yes by all means this is a Matt Ryan hate thread cleary started by a Taints

fan posing in TATF.

GTFO!

Did you even bother to read the post? BTW, that's a rhetorical question, your response already suggests you didn't.

Im a Matt Ryan fan. But I think Luck & Wilson are both better than him.

I don't...I see Luck and Wilson had better overall teams and coaching. Even today Luck did his best to give the game to Denver but his defense had his back. I guess they are better than Payton too. After all even Wilson has a ring...so I suppose Eli is better than all of them including Brees and Rogers because he has two rings. Whether some want to admit it or not it takes the team. Payton will be the first tell you that.