A Case For Teryl Austin

freebird310

Every NFL team he has been associated with up to DET has either made or won a SB . As the secondary coach of SEA, ARI, his unit made the SB, and he has a ring with BALT . In his first year as DET DC, the Lions make the playoffs. As a coach, he has never failed or dissapointed.

In 2010 as Florida DC his defense ranked 12th nationally in total defense

His mentor Jim Caldwell with whom he has a long history with, went 14-2 and reached a SB as a rookie HC .

This year in DET, his defense speaks for itself. When Caldwell brought him in, Austin was given complete control over the defensive scheme and wrote the playbook. This article states his case well .

Teryl Austin was hoping his job search might have come during a busier week. Instead of doing exit interviews and breaking down the 2014 Detroit Lions season, the first-year defensive coordinator was planning on having to prepare for Seattle and another playoff game.

His schedule opened after the Lions lost to Dallas 24-20 on Sunday, giving him plenty of time for Atlanta, San Francisco and, reportedly, Buffalo to interview him for head-coaching jobs. After the season Detroit’s defense put together under the 49-year-old coordinator, it makes sense why.

The Lions’ defense doesn’t turn into one of the stingiest in the league without Austin as the coordinator and having one of the league’s dominant defensive players, Ndamukong Suh, in the middle of the defensive line.

Now there’s a chance the Lions could lose both of them. While losing Suh would be more devastating and much of the offseason attention will be focused on his contract negotiations, losing Austin to a head-coaching gig would also be a brutally difficult blow for the Lions.

Austin was a defensive magician this season. He deftly managed injury issues to key players in each defensive level. He mixed and matched personnel to ensure he used players with singular strengths to the best of their abilities.

Considering the way Austin handled replacing multiple starters this season, one might think he could devise a Suh-less plan for 2015 if necessary -- not that he or the Lions would want to do that.

In 2014, Austin’s scheme was more aggressive. And while he could lean on the security blanket of Suh, a lot of the Lions’ top-ranked run defense and No. 2 overall defense started with Austin.

He continually mixed up looks and schemes. In the Lions’ loss to Dallas, he came up with a scheme that punished an offensive line with three Pro Bowlers, leading to 10 hits and six sacks of Tony Romo.

This is nothing new. The Lions sacked quarterbacks on 7.1 percent of passing attempts while blitzing on only 25.7 percent of the dropbacks. They were able to get pressure more often than that, hurrying quarterbacks 28.1 percent of the time this season, fourth best in the NFL.

Suh and the scheme provided this pressure. Austin consistently moved Suh and Ezekiel Ansah close together on obvious passing downs and often moved them to different spots on the field to gain leverage. That’s just one of the wrinkles Austin came up with, leading to the Lions’ defensive success.

Remember, too, that at the beginning of the season it was Lions offensive coordinator Joe Lombardi who was the hot head-coaching candidate. While he may be in that conversation eventually, it is Austin who has become the more immediate candidate.

Increasingly, Austin has handled himself well in every head-coaching facet. The X’s and O’s, he proved, are not in question. He’s also been extremely good with the media throughout the season. Before you scoff, this is important, especially for a first-time head coach trying to prove himself.

He needs to be comfortable speaking because he is one of the faces of the franchise. His words in press conferences and public settings matter to fans, marketers and inside the locker room, where he’ll be expected to have a strong presence.

Austin has already shown the ability to win over a locker room like he did in Detroit this season. He never shied away from soliciting input from players during the week and during in-game adjustments on Sundays.

“I do think he has all of the qualities that you’re looking for,” Lions head coach Jim Caldwell said.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/157725/losing-teryl-austin-could-be-almost-as-crushing-as-ndamukong-suh

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't be upset if he was hired as our HC. I just want to know who his OC would be. We need creative, aggressive play calling coaches on both sides of the ball; who can make in game adjustments.

I think him and Kyle would be the bomb man....Ryan and Julio might look awful good to Kyle after dealing with Hoyer, Johnny football and Gordons BS . I like Rex, Quinn, and Bowles as well, but I think Austin could bring a special dynamic. I do not think he would interfere much with the O, but he has had good offensive exposure under Caldwell .

I watched some interviews with Austin the other day. He appears to be extremely bright, articulate and has that understated confidence that you see in all the great head coaches.

He definitely passes the eye test, which, let's face it, is a no less scientific method for determining if a head coach candidate will succeed than looking at the stats of the teams he once coordinated for.

Edited by cooperbh

I watched some interviews with Austin the other day. He appears to be extremely bright, articulate and has that understated confidence that you see in all the great head coaches.

He definitely passes the eye test, which, let's face it, is a no less scientific method for determining if a head coach candidate will succeed than looking at the stats of the teams he once coordinated for.

Absolutely, he has a sense of dignity about him, and strikes me as the type of coach that could command the respect of everyone in the organization ....I would love to see something like this ...

HC - Teryl Austin

DC- a good technique/fundamentals teacher and quality control guy

OC - Kyle Shanahan

Asst HC/offensive line - Mike Tice

ST - Armstrong

The main thing that worries me about Austin is his lack of coordinator experience. He has a ton of experience as a DB coach, but only the single year as coordinator. An that was an already solid, veteran defensive unit he took over. The turnover on their unit was minimal. They had 1 FA signing (Ihedigbo), who was a starter. They had 4 defensive draft picks, none of which made any impact & are buried on the depth chart (3, 3rd stringers & 1 didn't make the roster).

So we have no idea if Austin can develop talent, the scheme is similar to what was run before, the DL coach (Detroit's strength of that D) was kept from the last regime, and a former NFL DC was hired as LB coach (but also to help Austin). I think it may be a year or two, too early for Austin's move into the HC ranks. But if that's the way we go, I'm not going to be too upset about it, he's a good coach.

The whole jumping around constantly is what bothers me.

That means he's not winning with his talent. How do we know he knows what he's looking at? Idk how far back you have to go to find a team he was on long enough to be involved in player acquisition. It certainly wasn't Florida or Detroit.

The whole jumping around constantly is what bothers me.

That means he's not winning with his talent. How do we know he knows what he's looking at? Idk how far back you have to go to find a team he was on long enough to be involved in player acquisition. It certainly wasn't Florida or Detroit.

He is not winning with his talent LOL ? Before Detroit every team he was involved with either made or won the Super Bowl....guy is a straight up winner everywhere he has been ....

He is not winning with his talent LOL ? Before Detroit every team he was involved with either made or won the Super Bowl....guy is a straight up winner everywhere he has been ....

And again. Thats not the question at all.

When was the last time he had to go our and find his own talent? 6 years ago?

He's not coming in to one of the best dlines in the game like Florida or Detroit. He's coming into a **** show.

Atlanta has absolutely nothing in common with his other DC jobs, and you want to make him HC over everything?