Jerry Hughes = Ray Edwards 2.0?

I'll admit, I didn't watch many Buffalo games this season but I've notice a couple of folks here have/want Hughes in their mocks.

He was a former 1st rd pick for the Colts and in 3 years he only produced 5 sacks for them. In 2 seasons with Buffalo he exploded on the scene and produced 19.5 sacks. My question is; is he a legit pass rusher or a product of his teammates (Mario Williams, Kyle Williams and Marcell Dareus)?

Like I said, I don't know much about him nor do I follow the Bills much, but based on states I see the trend of Ray Edwards and Michael Johnson here...

I'll admit, I didn't watch many Buffalo games this season but I've notice a couple of folks here have/want Hughes in their mocks.

He was a former 1st rd pick for the Colts and in 3 years he only produced 5 sacks for them. In 2 seasons with Buffalo he exploded on the scene and produced 19.5 sacks. My question is; is he a legit pass rusher or a product of his teammates (Mario Williams, Kyle Williams and Marcell Dareus)?

Like I said, I don't know much about him nor do I follow the Bills much, but based on states I see the trend of Ray Edwards and Michael Johnson here...

Very hard to say, maybe a combination of him playing up to his abilities and playing alongside 3 strong players. Also don't forget it's was a contract year for him. Definitley a buy or beware.

I live in upstate NY and watch a lot of Bills games/footage and I am hoping we Falcons don't touch J Hughes, he is entirely average, boosted by the talent around him, if we pay him and bring him to ATL he will have no more than 6 sacks in a 16 game season, not worth the money it would cost to get him.

I live in upstate NY and watch a lot of Bills games/footage and I am hoping we Falcons don't touch J Hughes, he is entirely average, boosted by the talent around him, if we pay him and bring him to ATL he will have no more than 6 sacks in a 16 game season, not worth the money it would cost to get him.

Thanks. Not hard to believe that considering he plays with Williams, Williams and Dareus but it's still good to get the opinion from someone who watches them from time to time.

Edwards' problem wasn't talent or athletic ability, it was work ethic.

it wasn't work ethic either, it was his mouth. Ray wanted to be a pass rusher, smitty and co wanted him to be a run stuffer. Ray asked why did they bring him here to play behind Bierman when he was better and they were paying him starter money. they answered by cutting him.

I dont think Edwards is a fair comparison based on ther attitudes. That said,for the reasons OP mentioned....I would steer clear. It is hard to say who would be the best UFA options until we know what kind of coach and system we get. Ryan or Quinn would make best use of our DLineman under contract (Soliai, Jackson, Hageman, Goodman, Babs - who could be cap casualty)

Yeah, not sure if Edwards problem was work ethic. The man had 3% BF, he obviously took care of himself. The problem was that he was always below average but looked good next to the William's but was too stiff and didn't have any pass rushing moves besides the bull rush. We definitely panic when we didn't get Charles Johnson. Hope the FO has learned from this mistake.

He terrifies me because of the guys he plays with. It is the best DLine in Football IMO. He was basically a 1st rd bust and Indy shipped him away.

I don't see many Buffalo games of course, but he does flash and make plays. I just don't know about him. Did he take yrs to mature/develop or is it the guys he plays with. I agree that we need to sign 2 guys plus an ILB and draft one in the 1st.

I don't expect JPP or Houston to hit the market, so you need to try to get 2 of these 2nd tier guys.

Hughes is my 4th choice for a pass rusher FA.

1st is obviously Houston...not likely but still the obvious #1 target

2nd is Pernell McPhee. He had more QB hits than Dumervil and Suggs COMBINED...he had 21, Suggs 11, Dumervil 9. He had the 2nd most QB hits in the NFL behind only JJ Watt who had a truly ridiculous 44.

3rd is Brandon Graham. Like York said, he's legitimately the best kept secret in the NFL. He led the NFL in Pass Rush Productivity (sacks+.75(hurries+hits))/pass rush snaps) at 17.67% - literally two percent higher than any other pass rusher in the NFL, even JJ Watt who's at 15.0%.

Hughes is 4th. Assuming Houston gets tagged, Hughes is 3rd. Either way, I'd WAY prefer Pernell McPhee and/or (preferably AND) Brandon Graham but at the end of the day Hughes would not be a bad score by any means. He didn't have as many sacks (12) as Mario Williams (16) but he had more hits (9 to Williams' 7) and hurries (40 to Williams' 37) in about the same amount of pass rush snaps.

2nd is Pernell McPhee. He had more QB hits than Dumervil and Suggs COMBINED...he had 21, Suggs 11, Dumervil 9. He had the 2nd most QB hits in the NFL behind only JJ Watt who had a truly ridiculous 44.

3rd is Brandon Graham. Like York said, he's legitimately the best kept secret in the NFL. He led the NFL in Pass Rush Productivity (sacks+.75(hurries+hits))/pass rush snaps) at 17.67% - literally two percent higher than any other pass rusher in the NFL, even JJ Watt who's at 15.0%.

Hughes is 4th. Assuming Houston gets tagged, Hughes is 3rd. Either way, I'd WAY prefer Pernell McPhee and/or (preferably AND) Brandon Graham but at the end of the day Hughes would not be a bad score by any means. He didn't have as many sacks (12) as Mario Williams (16) but he had more hits (9 to Williams' 7) and hurries (40 to Williams' 37) in about the same amount of pass rush snaps.

Yup. If we stick with a 3-4 alignment, I would love for us to sign McPhee and Graham, and then draft a DE/OLB as well. This is my preferred option cause I think we could get both for the same price as Houston alone.

He is playing on a really good defensive line but I still think his talent is his own. From what I've seen, he probably suits a 3-4 more. The longer he can go without getting engaged, the more dangerous he becomes. Signing Hughes and Graham would be a good move.

Kayoh, what's your opinion (backed by stats and the eye test of course) of Jason Worilds, I'm a Virginia Tech fan (Worilds' college if you don't know) and really want him on the Falcons and believe he has certainly earned the consideration of our FO by his play the last 2 years. There is obviously a reason the Steelers transition tagged him last year. I know you have some strong and honest opinions on guys and would love to hear what you have to say.

Kayoh, what's your opinion (backed by stats and the eye test of course) of Jason Worilds, I'm a Virginia Tech fan (Worilds' college if you don't know) and really want him on the Falcons and believe he has certainly earned the consideration of our FO by his play the last 2 years. There is obviously a reason the Steelers transition tagged him last year. I know you have some strong and honest opinions on guys and would love to hear what you have to say.

Worilds is very streaky. Too inconsistent for my liking. If you watch his game against Houston this year, he looks like an all-world OLB. Then you watch the week 9 Baltimore game, or even the week 14 Cincinnati game, and he not only disappears but looks like a liability in every way imaginable. He'd probably still be my 5th choice after Hughes because I still like him better than a guy like Jabaal Sheard, but I'd really prefer to just get Graham and McPhee, even if we have to pay them more than other teams would be willing to, than have to settle for a guy like Worilds.