Top 5 Needs 2015

Top needs going into FA and Draft?

1. Pass Rushing DE

2. Pass Rushing OLB

3. RT or LT (slide Jake back to RT?)

4. TE

5. SS

We don't just need one pass rusher. We need teams to not be able to single out one threat on our D. If we want to be realistic about winning a championship we can't expect to just spend one 1st round pick on pass rush. We have to overhaul to establish a dominating defensive philosophy.

I put RT ahead of TE because although our banged up offensive line played well in the final stretch of the ceiling. You could feel that they were playing above themselves. There's no way I trust Schrader to maintain a consistent level of play. Could even argue to bring in another center through FA or draft.

TE is big because Toilolo is neither strong/consistent enough to be a reliable pass-blocking TE, nor does he have good enough hands to be a pass-catching TE that we expected to be. We need a safety blanket for Ryan.

There is no depth at safety. Willy mo can't stay healthy so we must assume either he is not with us next season or he will be injured. Need to look to draft a hard hitting safety that can excels in the box and has decent coverage abilities

Assuming this is a 3-4 defense you're looking ahead at, I think it should look more like this:

1. OLB (at least 2)

2. ILB (one great one)

3. OL (Either LG or RT)

4. Pass Rush DE (One to go in on 3rd and long)

5. RB (a power guy to compliment) Freeman

All of the needs you listed are important, but you did leave out some major ones crucial to a championship (ILB and RB).

Edited by HoshPointOh

Assuming this is a 3-4 defense you're looking ahead at, I think it should look more like this:

1. OLB (at least 2)

2. ILB (one great one)

3. OL (Either LG or RT)

4. Pass Rush DE (One to go in on 3rd and long)

5. RB (a power guy to compliment) Freeman

All of the needs you listed are important, but you did leave out some major ones crucial to a championship (ILB and RB).

I'm starting to wonder why we paid Blalock so much.. He hasn't been great. But yeah we may need a LG too i guess -_-

And yes ILB is a great need as well. So many holes..

I'm starting to wonder why we paid Blalock so much.. He hasn't been great. But yeah we may need a LG too i guess -_-

And yes ILB is a great need as well. So many holes..

There are many holes, but I also feel there are many opportunities in this free agency and draft to get that much better.

http://boards.atlantafalcons.com/topic/4019135-needs/

1. Edge Rusher - prospects include Vic Beasley, Randy Gregory, Shane Ray

2. ILB - no good prospects, need to grab a FA. Marshall? Spikes?

3. Tight End - prospects include Ben Koyack, Pharaoh Brown, Clive Walford

4. Contain DE - prospects include Shilique Calhoun, Dante Fowler, Shawn Oakman

5. Receiver - Roddy is declining, Hester is more of a gadget player, Julio's always hurt

as far as I'm concerned, you lose any credibility on here as soon as you mention switching Jake to RT and drafting a Tackle high. If anything we need interior O-linemen.

I dont think we should draft one high but I do think a RT for the future is something to look at in the late rounds. Personally I like Tayo Fabulujie, great size and most of his problems appear fixable with NFL coaching and he is projected to easily be available in 7th round. (Obviously he played LT at TCU but we would use him as a RT)

Edited by HoshPointOh

I dont think we should draft one high but I do think a RT for the future is something to look at in the late rounds. Personally I like Tayo Fabulujie, great size and most of his problems appear fixable with NFL coaching and he is projected to easily be available in 7th round. (Obviously he played LT at TCU but we would use him as a RT)

Schraeder was our best O-lineman this year, and you want to replace him? hes what, 26-27?. Cool story bro.

I hope Pioli goes back to drafting the best available player as to drafting for needs. Most often the best available player is a player of need. What is Leonard Williams is sitting there at 8 do you pass on him to take a DE like Shane Ray? Only a crazy person would pass on Williams for Ray need or not

You think that he was better than Asamoah? I thought that the guy was a fantastic signing and solid as a rock.

Asamoah is good, but never great. It's the same criticism I had of him before we signed him, and the reason I wanted Geoff Schwartz over him last offseason. He's a very consistently good RG. He's a better pass blocker than a run blocker, but not a bad run blocker.

Schraeder has tons of upside. He's not super consistent like Asamoah, but he put together a string of 5 consecutive games (weeks 12-16) where he looked like the best RT in the entire NFL. Go back and watch any of those games - against Cleveland, Arizona, Green Bay, Pittsburgh and New Orleans. Schraeder didn't give up a single sack in that time, didn't give up a single HIT in that time, and only gave up 4 hurries in that entire 5 week period. He kind of gradually got worse at run blocking over that course of time, with his best game as a run blocker coming against Cleveland (Billy Winn/Paul Kruger), and his worst game as a run blocker coming against New Orleans (Cam Jordan).

Schraeder was our best O-lineman this year, and you want to replace him? hes what, 26-27?. Cool story bro.

I apologize. I was speaking out of my as, the only news I had heard about Schraeder was bad news so I assumed he was bad. I also like him (even with the bad news I thought I knew) and so I wasn't trying to get an immediate replacement, only a 7th rounder with potential who could back up him or Jake since he is better than I originally thought