Trestman

truth..

With Trestman being tossed around as an OC candidate, I thought I would share what I have read about/seen from him in Chicago.

He is very big on personal relationships within the organization. Always wanted players to have very good chemistry. The guy basically follows an Organizational Behavior/Business Management book in the way he runs a team (this is how he was as a HC. not completely sure how this would work with him as the OC, but I imagine the offense would be run his way). He does a lot of exercises in trust, and relationship building. Rearranged the Bears locker room upon his arrival. Lockers were previously arranged by position group. He wanted offensive and defensive players to build relationships (noticing a theme here? big on relationships) so he tried to use this as a way of building those relationships.

Like I said, he was big on trust. Treated players like professionals and gave players a lot of freedoms. Allowed Lance Briggs (Chicago LB) to take a "personal day" this season leading up to week 1 (i believe it was week 1, i may be remembering incorrectly). Briggs went out to arizona and opened a restaurant with his business partners instead of going to practice. The media made a big about it and Trestman reacted by saying he did not ask Briggs where he was going because it was Briggs's personal day and Trestman didnt seem to want to invade on his players personal life in that way. Wanted to give his players freedom and allowed for a clear-head, stress relief, etc....Trestman said that he trusted his veteran player in the best interest of his team.

I tell that just to give an idea of what Trestman would do in a given situation. Now, as an OC, he wouldnt have authority to give players the day off (at least, i assume he wouldnt). If Ryan is hired, Trestman would likely be 2nd in commmand. I can easily see a scenario where this works very well and is a productive relationship. Trestman can be the good cop to Ryans bad cop. I think the relationship there would work very well.

As far as offensive philosophy, Trestman likes to run 11 personnel. He can be successful with Tight Ends (his found a way to get Martellus Bennett involved in the offense in Chicago). Who knows if he can develop them, but he has shown an ability to use them....

I think he would do well with Julio Jones (who wouldnt?). Trestman had big WRs in Chicago with Jeffery and Marshall. Julio fits that mold. Trestman loved to call deep routes down the sideline with Jeffery to stretch the field. Marshall fit more of an underneath/crossing routes role (Roddy has thrived in that role for years). I think Trestman could do very nice things with the passing game and we would not see a huge drop off in production just because Rex Ryan is the coach (So anyone spouting off with that noise can get out). Now, the one thing I dislike (and dislike very much) about Trestmans offense is that it is very pass heavy. He had Matt Forte as his RB and he struggled give him enough carries (although,he found ways to get him involved in the passing game). Perhaps Rex Ryan would influence Trestman enough offensively that the ball would be run more than it has in the past both here in atlanta and in trestman run offenses.

My overall take on Trestman is positive. I think he could be a solid OC and I think he would fit our personnel well. He had issues in Chicago, and some of them may have stemmed from Trestman, but as a first time head coach, mistakes were expected. I think he has learned from them and him working with the Atlanta offense is a good role for him. Might be a Head Coaching retread in the future. The Bears were really just a bad team with a bad QB who had a bad attitude. Some say that is unfair to Jay Cutler, but I think the jury is out on Jay. He has a poor attitude. Matt Ryan is the compete opposite of Cutler and I think Trestman aligns nearly perfectly with Ryan philosophically. He would be a good fit in Atlanta and is a strong enough personality to work with Rex Ryan. I am 100% behind a Rex Ryan/Trestman combination being hired in Atlanta (even if I am not 100% a Trestman supporter)

Edited by truth..

Guest Negatorris

All I know is that in the game against CHI earlier this season, Trestman had Marshall +Jeffrey look like HOFers compared to our supposed best WR duo.

i didnt really get as far into what he likes to do personnel wise as i wouldve liked.

as I said, he runs a lot of 11 personnel, which clearly wouldnt take much of an adjustment for the falcons offense (although it would be interesting to see how hester would react to trestman...he seemed to hate him and cutler, but made a point to mention certain things trestman did that he didnt like.)

trestman isnt big on fullbacks, so we would go more 12 personnel (2 tightend sets) then 21 (RB/FB/TE). doesnt get much heavier than that. maybe a little bit of a jumbo package but i honestly cant remember him doing that very often.

used a FB on 0.6% of offensive snaps last season. used martellus bennett on 90% of snaps. used forte on 92%. 2nd TE dante rosario was used on 29% of snaps....so that gives you an idea of how often he goes with 11 personnel. i would say 75% of the time was spent in 11 personnel. i personally hate that. i would like more diversity there. more position groups getting involved. there are only so many things you can do out of 11 personnel.

in comparison, we used toilolo on 87% of snaps, pascoe on 13%, dimarco on 19%, and julio/roddy 80% apiece, douglas 51.5%, hester on 36%, weems on 18%.

I think we could match up fairly well...although dimarco might have to become more of an H-Back if he doesnt want to lose most of his play time

Edited by truth..

i didnt really get as far into what he likes to do personnel wise as i wouldve liked.

as I said, he runs a lot of 11 personnel, which clearly wouldnt take much of an adjustment for the falcons offense (although it would be interesting to see how hester would react to trestman...he seemed to hate him and cutler, but made a point to mention certain things trestman did that he didnt like.)

trestman isnt big on fullbacks, so we would go more 12 personnel (2 tightend sets) then 21 (RB/FB/TE). doesnt get much heavier than that. maybe a little bit of a jumbo package but i honestly cant remember him doing that very often.

used a FB on 0.6% of offensive snaps last season. used martellus bennett on 90% of snaps. used forte on 92%. 2nd TE dante rosario was used on 29% of snaps....so that gives you an idea of how often he goes with 11 personnel. i would say 75% of the time was spent in 11 personnel. i personally hate that. i would like more diversity there. more position groups getting involved. there are only so many things you can do out of 11 personnel.

in comparison, we used toilolo on 87% of snaps, pascoe on 13%, dimarco on 19%, and julio/roddy 80% apiece, douglas 51.5%, hester on 36%, weems on 18%.

I think we could match up fairly well...although dimarco might have to become more of an H-Back if he doesnt want to lose most of his play time

It's possible that he caters his offense to his personnel.

You don't want to run I-form or even off if your FB isn't good. We would probably have to look at what he did elsewhere to make a better determination.

Didnt Forte have like 1000 yards rushing and 800 yards receiving. I Forte could have had the ball slightly more on the ground but he didn't do bad.

yeah, i mean he had 266 carries and 102 receptions last season. 1039 on the ground and 808 through the air. 130 passing targets...6 rushing scores, 4 receving. 3.9 per carry. 7.9 per catch...

he certainly got forte involved. all i was saying is that more rushes and less catches might have helped the bears stay a little more balanced, but it wasnt like he grossly misused matt forte. i didnt mean to come across like that.

yeah, i mean he had 266 carries and 102 receptions last season. 1039 on the ground and 808 through the air. 130 passing targets...6 rushing scores, 4 receving. 3.9 per carry. 7.9 per catch...

he certainly got forte involved. all i was saying is that more rushes and less catches might have helped the bears stay a little more balanced, but it wasnt like he grossly misused matt forte. i didnt mean to come across like that.

I understand that but I guess I'm looking at Forte specifically. With Forte's bidy type, you don't want to give him the 300 carries plus. I think around 275 is perfect for him and Forte's forte....may actually be pass catching. He might be the best starting RB at that skill.

It's possible that he caters his offense to his personnel.

You don't want to run I-form or even off if your FB isn't good. We would probably have to look at what he did elsewhere to make a better determination.

i certainly think so too. I dont have any snap counts from canadian football and football outsiders only has data going back to 2012.

i would imagine it is similar with some possible changes along the way. i think he would feel comfortable with our personnel. we are actually pretty similar to Chicago (with the exception being that our QB isnt a mental). i think ryan would work very well with trestmans style. very calm. very instructional. very calculated. seems a lot like matty ice.

i certainly think so too. I dont have any snap counts from canadian football and football outsiders only has data going back to 2012. i would imagine it is similar with some possible changes along the way. i think he would feel comfortable with our personnel. we are actually pretty similar to Chicago (with the exception being that our QB isnt a mental). i think ryan would work very well with trestmans style. very calm. very instructional. very calculated. seems a lot like matty ice.

Oh I agree. I think I was the conductor of the Rex and Trest train on these messageboards.

I understand that but I guess I'm looking at Forte specifically. With Forte's bidy type, you don't want to give him the 300 carries plus. I think around 275 is perfect for him and Forte's forte....may actually be pass catching. He might be the best starting RB at that skill.

you actually have a great point...i think what i really have a gripe with isnt so much fortes carries, but the overall rushes on the team and the strict dependence on forte as the bellcow back. they never got kadeem caray involved in the offense until the end of the season. forte may have seen as many carries as he shouldve, but overall, they didnt run enough for my liking. i think getting another RB involved wouldve helped them

Trestman runs a variant of the WCO which really doesn't employ a lot of running plays but could be altered to do so. However, it utilizises the TE as a pass catcher.

That. Might be problemic for Tice. Tice is more of a smashmouth , old school, use the tightend as a blocker kind of coach. There could be a clash of egos here.

I'm not expecting Tice to hang around here if Trestman is brought in