Weird Timing With The Td And Pioli Role Restructuring

The Don™

The timing of it makes me think...

1. Either we're trying to establish a stable front office to not scare away the top coaching candidates. Basically, Blank doesn't want to scare a candidate away by having an unstable FO.

2. On the other hand, maybe this was discussed with Rex in his interview (Rex might even agree with the restructuring of roles)...So if Rex agrees, they go ahead and make the restructuring official(conveniently after his interview) b.c they're sure Rex will be the next head coach.

Thoughts?

Maybe I'm in the minority, but these moves seem to justify everything BUT a stable front office.

1. The whole Korn Ferry fiasco before a division clinching game.

2. Blank keeps TD around while almost everyone thinks he should've been fired.

3. And now the Gm is kinda being demoted/role switched with the assistant Gm.

Blank comes off like he has no clue what to do with this organization. I wouldn't be surprised if he scared off Rex and the other HC candidates with all the fckery going on up at the Branch.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but these moves seem to justify everything BUT a stable front office.

1. The whole Korn Ferry fiasco before a division clinching game.

2. Blank keeps TD around while almost everyone thinks he should've been fired.

3. And now the Gm is kinda being demoted/role switched with the assistant Gm.

Blank comes off like he has no clue what to do with this organization. I wouldn't be surprised if he scared off Rex and the other HC candidates with all the fckery going on up at the Branch.

Well I don't know about that...

Whatever man. I see you like to bicker and argue for the sake of it, but people did want TD fired along with Smitty. Or maybe I'm just making things up and being delusional.

Plenty of people did. You're not delusional at all. I'm only disagreeing with the "almost everyone" part of your statement. Even I wasn't wholly committed to keeping him, though I did support holding onto him.

Whatever man. I see you like to bicker and argue for the sake of it, but people did want TD fired along with Smitty. Or maybe I'm just making things up and being delusional.

It was your use of "almost everyone", which was obviously based on the idiots around here.

Plenty of people did. You're not delusional at all. Only disagreeing with the "almost everyone" part of your statement. Even I wasn't wholly committed to keeping him, though I did support holding onto him.

So, out of the entire statement posted, you just felt the need to nitpick on the "almost everyone" part? Which isn't a false statement.

I may get flamed for stating the obvious... But Is it not just a ploy to make the FO look/ seem similar to that of the Ravens and the structure in which Rex was accustomed to when he was with them?

By doing this it leaves an element of comfort for him to slide into the HC role. This structure enables him to focus on football and also have a say in who we get, whilst ensuring he doesnt have to sort his head around cap management etc.

Edited by halifaxfalcon

The heII with a message board poll, analyst around the country were questioning the reason for retaining TD. The world is bigger than TATF.

Those so-called analysts would also have to admit that if Tommy had been fired, he would have been quickly snatched up by one of several teams looking for a new GM.

This model has worked well with the Pats and Ravens. In the heyday of NE , belichik had the lead with Pioli as de facto GM and TD as head of scouting (asst GM)...Belichik in the draft hasn't been as nearly asgood since losing Pioli and TD.

It may be a bit more like the Ravens with Ozzie as top dog, depodesta (I think is his name) in the Pioli role and harbaugh has a huge say.

It also pushes Mckay towards more strategic things like new stadium, competition committees and possible league jobs.

Everyone's singles out just TD's drafts, and just Piolis drafts. But look at belichik drafts post TD and Pioli...not nearly as good...

Last year as a combined force TD and Pioli did very well drafting and signed the players Smittyand coordinators wanted in both draft and FA. Smitty just sucked

The most likely explanation is that AB was keeping his options open, just in case his HC of choice either demanded to bring in his own GM (e.g. Ryan with Idzyk) or insisted on having total control of personnel matter. When none of the HC candidates imposed such demands, he was able to confirm that TD stays and address the restructure.

The restructre is relatively minor. Pioli has repsonsibility for the college and pro-perosnnel sections of the organsiation. That doesn't mean that he makes personnel decisions or that he does ALL of the scouting/evalaution and drawn up the draft board whilst TD is sat in an office ordering jocks and socks.

TD is the GM and has final says on the personnel decisions - and will obviouly be watching tape and doing his own evaluations as part of that. I bet that he and Pioli will be watching tape together, as they did last year. As we have a collaborative approach to decisons, other members of the brain-trust such as Pioli, Vital and the coaching stff will clearly be consulted and will have plenty of input in to the decison making process, with TD weighing up the various views having final say where there are differing views.