Falcons Front Office Restructured. Td Loses Some Power, Pioli Gets Draft

So does this mean no more wtf draft picks? Im sorta used to a couple of those every year with TD. lol

"So-and-So was a bit of a reach. He probably would've been available in the Something'th round... I guess Dimitroff and Co. saw something since he's been a team captain since pre-K."

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like those reporters are just pulling that "vision like Baltimore" crap out of their azzez. Decosta does player personnel stuff and scouting..THATS IT.. Not to mention he's worked under Newsome for 15 yrs or so. He didn't just "bring him in."(I think AB had more to do with that). DeCosta been there since the beginning..And Ozzie is in TOTAL control of the draft..TD's situation sounds more like a demotion by promotion. imo. Whatever the heck that is. lol

Sounds like those reporters are just pulling that "vision like Baltimore" crap out of their azzez. Decosta does player personnel stuff and scouting..THATS IT.. Not to mention he's worked under Newsome for 15 yrs or so. He didn't just "bring him in."(I think AB had more to do with that). DeCosta been there since the beginning..And Ozzie is in TOTAL control of the draft..TD's situation sounds more like a demotion by promotion. imo. Whatever the heck that is. lol

Pioli will be doing the draft scouting and evaluations just like DeCosta does.

TD will get the final say just like Newsome.

TD will not be evaluating draft talent anymore, that will be Pioli's job with TD hand selecting the players based off of Pioli's evaluations.

Wont matter if the new coach rolls 7 wins next year and then flops the year after that, the new stadium will be a ghost town and the Falcons will be with the Hawks in a new town. Then Blank can eat his new $1 billion stadium.

Guess he'll just have to rely on the 100's of other events that will be held at the stadium for revenue.....he wins either way so stop thinking he's somehow going to lose something.

Some mistaken assumptions here- TD brought Pioli in because he needed more help- TD's 2nd in commands keep getting their own GM jobs.

And a baltimore set up is exactly what they're doing- no need to pull it out of their butts.

TD still has final say on the draft, he's going to do what Newsome and every good GM does- rely on the people under them to do their jobs well and then make the pick/sign the FA.

This is quite probably what happened last off season, only change is having the HC report to Blank not TD.

It makes sense if you really think about it. Pioli's strength has been talent evaluation. His weaknesses, exposed in KC, include hiring coaches and being somewhat of a flaky lunatic when it comes to running football operations. So he won't be doing either of those things. He'll be scouting and essentially recommending draft picks to Dimitroff. Dimitroff's weaknesses include talent evaluation, especially on the lines, and decision making in terms of building the team (such as which players to retain, which to let go, etc.). He won't have as much say in those things, since it appears the new coach will report directly to Blank and be heavily involved in addressing team needs from a football perspective. Dimitroff's strengths include managing the cap and dealing with players from a management standpoint. So he'll be doing more of that, though he'll still have a large say in the draft (which he has been pretty good at, except in terms of picking the front 7 on defense and the o-line on offense). The new coach will have more say in how to put the team together, what types of players he wants, what our personnel deficiencies are, etc.

I'm okay with this. I think the confusion on the radio this afternoon misses the point of the restructuring. This is simply shuffling people to do what they do well, and minimizing their roles in what they don't do as well.

Wont matter if the new coach rolls 7 wins next year and then flops the year after that, the new stadium will be a ghost town and the Falcons will be with the Hawks in a new town. Then Blank can eat his new $1 billion stadium.

Won't have to eat the stadium, won't move either. New stadium is going to make Blank a ton of money.

Even if the coach flops, he'll hire someone else and keep at it until he gets it right.

You seem to not have been around when the Clampetts ran the team. Blank is light years ahead of them.

"TD is better at managerial tasks ,fiscal matters, and organization". Really? Couldve sworn he was just a scout when we hired him. Mckay is supposed to handle all of that crap..

McKay is concentrating more on the stadium deal and the business side of the organization now. TD is moving into some of McKay's old roles.

It makes sense if you really think about it. Pioli's strength has been talent evaluation. His weaknesses, exposed in KC, include hiring coaches and being somewhat of a flaky lunatic when it comes to running football operations. So he won't be doing either of those things. He'll be scouting and essentially recommending draft picks to Dimitroff. Dimitroff's weaknesses include talent evaluation, especially on the lines, and decision making in terms of building the team (such as which players to retain, which to let go, etc.). He won't have as much say in those things, since it appears the new coach will report directly to Blank and be heavily involved in addressing team needs from a football perspective. Dimitroff's strengths include managing the cap and dealing with players from a management standpoint. So he'll be doing more of that, though he'll still have a large say in the draft (which he has been pretty good at, except in terms of picking the front 7 on defense and the o-line on offense). The new coach will have more say in how to put the team together, what types of players he wants, what our personnel deficiencies are, etc.

I'm okay with this. I think the confusion on the radio this afternoon misses the point of the restructuring. This is simply shuffling people to do what they do well, and minimizing their roles in what they don't do as well.

Yep, that's pretty much what I'm getting from all of this as well.

McKay is concentrating more on the stadium deal and the business side of the organization now. TD is moving into some of McKay's old roles.

So you are factually reporting that McKay no longer handles the Salary Cap and

player contracts?

McKay taught him will (Baker Contract) we're skrawed!

So you are factually reporting that McKay no longer handles the Salary Cap and

player contracts?

McKay taught him will (Baker Contract) we're skrawed!

Yes, because I'm an investigative reporter by trade. I'm certainly not a message board schlub like all of the rest of you jacklegs, just spouting off our opinions based on reports we read in the media.

1. This didn't happen in the 12 hours since Rex's interview. Furthermore, Rex didn't demand the Falcons restructure the FO for him to maybe sign. You don't let a potential coach dictate your executive structure. This has been in the works since the end of the season, and this is EXACTLY what Blank was evasively hinting at in the end of season presser. He NEVER said he would let the new coach decide if TD stayed or went, NEVER. That was pure media speculation. He said things might change in the front office, and that for the time being TD was the GM, and he would let everyone know if things changed. Well, he just let us know.

2. TD might have final say on the draft and FA, but it's final say over the players Pioli scouts and brings to him.

3. I like it.

1. This didn't happen in the 12 hours since Rex's interview. Furthermore, Rex didn't demand the Falcons restructure the FO for him to maybe sign. You don't let a potential coach dictate your executive structure. This has been in the works since the end of the season, and this is EXACTLY what Blank was evasively hinting at in the end of season presser. He NEVER said he would let the new coach decide if TD stayed or went, NEVER. That was pure media speculation. He said things might change in the front office, and that for the time being TD was the GM, and he would let everyone know if things changed. Well, he just let us know.

2. TD might have final say on the draft and FA, but it's final say over the players Pioli scouts and brings to him.

3. I like it.

An error occurred

You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day