Falcons Front Office Restructured. Td Loses Some Power, Pioli Gets Draft

paulitik

Falcons have restructured the front office, but I'm told Thomas Dimitroff retains control of the 53-man roster and the draft ...

Yep, ultimate authority still lies with TD, just like I'd expect. Pioli's input matters more though, especially with him now having control over the scouting dept.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@JasonLaCanfora: One source with knowledge of the new arrangement equated it to Baltimore, with Dmitroff in the Newsome role and Pioli in the DeCosta role

Everybody needs to chill. This is a good thing. Can't be much worse if no action was taken and TD was still doing the same bs he does. And last I checked Baltimore are doing great. If we can just barely replicate that in the ATL with Matt Ryan as QB. Heh I know we got some superbowls coming to us in a few years. So everyone relax. I think it was a good decision and action.

Shitt. 3 cooks in the kitchen, and when they disagree, they escalate the argument to the one non-football guy to make the decisions.

Sounds like a power struggle in the making, even if Blank did declare it would not be a power struggle.

Don't think it's like that. TD still has final say, and one of his strengths is collaboration anyway.

falcons changing to a Baltimore arrangement, the day after interviewing Rex, hehe

I think this was coming regardless though. Pioli was given most of this power last year. This is just the follow up for a job well done. I really think this was the plan all along, starting with last year.

I am SO confused. Jason La Canfora is saying one thing while Jay Adams is saying a different thing. So Pioli decides who he wants to draft and who he wants in free agency and then asks Dimitroff if he is ok with it? Can someone clarify?

They're both saying the same thing. Pioli has most of the power over those areas, but TD has final say. Pioli is still the Assistant GM.

This all just makes no sense.

Blank said the head coach would have a say in this. But we don't have a head coach.

But we did talk to Rex for 5 hours... But we're having a second round of interviews.

Just a whollleee lotta conflicting things going on right now.

falcons changing to a Baltimore arrangement, the day after interviewing Rex, hehe

Yeah, I think Blank may envision the Falcons turning into the Ravens of the NFC South.

The strange thing is that Newsome, TD, and Pioli all originate from the browns under the Belichick tree.

Belichick is from the Parcell's NFL tree.

Don't see how this is a bad or unusual thing. As much as the rampant TD hate here would like to make it seem like a demotion, TD is clearly moving up the ladder. As others have said, he looks primed to be a longstanding member of the Falcons board, possibly replacing McKay. Good move, and telling that it comes after Rex's long interview.

Here's the article from the Falcons site. Maybe the OP could add it in.

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/article-1/Falcons-Restructure-Player-Personnel-Dept/f13e6d37-dfe7-4fb7-b25f-4c09a4f480ab

The Atlanta Falcons today announced a restructuring of its player personnel department, which is effective today. The changes are designed to provide a more intense focus on pro and college scouting efforts, play on the strengths of individuals in the two departments, and ensure the highest standards of performance in other areas of football operations managed by Falcons General Manager Thomas Dimitroff.

As part of the realignment, Assistant General Manager Scott Pioli will take on pro and college scouting and NFL Draft responsibilities, reporting to Dimitroff. Dimitroff will also retain management responsibility for salary cap, player affairs, equipment, sports medicine and performance, and video activities.

“After reviewing all of our options – internally and externally – I have no reservations that this is the best approach to setting up our player personnel groups for future success,” said Falcons Owner and Chairman Arthur Blank. “It maximizes the talents of Scott, allows for more time and focus on all areas of our football operations groups managed by Thomas, and is in line with other player personnel groups in the league.

“While this decision was not tied to the head coach search currently underway, we also believe that independent thinking and collaboration will contribute to taking us to the next level in our league. Therefore, our new head coach and Thomas will report separately to me.”

The search for a new head coach for the Falcons is ongoing and is expected to be concluded in the coming weeks.

Pioli will be supported by Falcons Director of Player Personnel Lionel Vital, who will assume additional pro scouting responsibilities and play a role in college scouting, and Director of College Scouting Steve Sabo, along with their staffs.

“Scott is a trusted partner who has proven himself, time and again, during his 23-year NFL career,” said Dimitroff. “His thumbprint can be found on a number of Pro Bowl players during his NFL career, and he was a key contributor to the remarkable Super Bowl success of the Patriots during his tenure there. We look forward, and I do personally, to the many contributions he will make to our pro, college scouting and NFL Draft efforts going forward.”

Pioli joined the Falcons in February 2014 as assistant general manager. He served four seasons (2009-2012) as general manager of the Kansas City Chiefs, where he orchestrated one of the greatest turnarounds in Chiefs history as the club won the AFC West in 2010 with a 10-6 record and he was named NFL Executive of the Year. In his four seasons with the Chiefs, Pioli drafted Pro Bowl players including Eric Berry (3), Justin Houston (3), Dontari Poe (2), and Dexter McCluster.

Pioli joined the Chiefs after serving as the vice president of player personnel with the New England Patriots, where he spent six seasons working with Dimitroff (2002-07). During his nine-year tenure in New England (2000-08), the Patriots compiled an NFL-best 102-42 (.708) regular season record, won Super Bowls XXXVI, XXXVIII and XXXIX, claimed four AFC championships, and won six AFC East titles. In collaboration with Patriots Head Coach Bill Belichick and Dimitroff, Pioli saw the Patriots compile 11 playoff wins between 2003 and 2007, the highest total by any team during a five-year span in NFL history.

You know what's hilarious.

This is EXACTLY the opposite of the braves.

We all wanted Wren and fredi fired. Only the GM was fired.

Then they said a GM would get to decide his coach. They then kept the coach and stayed in house for the GM.