Steak Made The Most Salient Point On Coaching Hires Yesterday.

It was just a blurb in a whole discussion, but Steak Shapiro made the comment that we can say we do or don't want this or that guy coaching the team, but the fact is, it's all a crap shoot. We have no idea how any of these guys will perform. Every coach is different. Every set of players is different. Every organization is different. That's why, even though I know who I'm most confident in, I can't really say any of the others are bad hires. No one knows how they'll perform, so I'll just support the guy we do hire and hope the stars align for us.

To an extent that's right, but the truth is that you can make at least an informed and educated decision. We have some information about these candidates. Does that mean a bad candidate can't go to another team and win a Super Bowl? No. It just means we can weigh the odds out for each and try to pick the one we think is most likely to take this team to a Super Bowl and win it.

It was just a blurb in a whole discussion, but Steak Shapiro made the comment that we can say we do or don't want this or that guy coaching the team, but the fact is, it's all a crap shoot. We have no idea how any of these guys will perform. Every coach is different. Every set of players is different. Every organization is different. That's why, even though I know who I'm most confident in, I can't really say any of the others are bad hires. No one knows how they'll perform, so I'll just support the guy we do hire and hope the stars align for us.

Yep. I've seen this all before with the Leeman Bennett firing. We'll either get lucky with the right guy or we'll get....drumroll please....Dan Henning.

Steak interviewed Jets beatwriter (something "Mehta") this morning as well - to say the beatwriter gave Rex Ryan a "glowing endorsement" would be an understatement:

• defensive guru - best in the nfl
  • master motivator - players will play hard for their coach
  • can get along w/ anybody (mentioned Dimitroff)
  • not power hungry when it comes to wanting to control personnel
  • learned from some of past mistakes

Steak said to Mehta - sounds like you are describing Vince Lombardi. What does Rex not do well?

• develop QBs - said that obviously would not be an issue for Falcons having Matt Ryan.

Finneran asked about who Rex's OC would be? Mehta said maybe he would just keep Dirk Koetter

Remember when John Harbaugh was hired by the Ravens?.. he had never even been a coordinator. He was a special teams coach. However Ozzie and company saw something in him that made them realize he was a leader. It's not all about x's and o's on the HC thing. It's about organization, hiring the right staff, and having a clear message to everyone what you're about. If the HC cannot communicate a clear consistent message everyone loses focus.

If we're picking nits, obviously the judgment of the people interviewing enters into the equation, JD. Having said that, the overarching point is true. I'm sure everybody thought Shanahan and his two SB trophies were going to right the ship in Washington. No one expected Sean Payton to be flashing a ring coaching in New Orleans, a team that couldn't get out of its own way for four decades. Bill Walsh wasn't Bill Walsh until San Fran got hold of him and the right set of circumstances converged. Past successes and failures aren't a reliable predictor of future success or failure because the circumstances change dramatically.

but can he tone down the antics and predictions?

Steak interviewed Jets beatwriter (something "Mehta") this morning as well - to say the beatwriter gave Rex Ryan a "glowing endorsement" would be an understatement:

Steak said to Mehta - sounds like you are describing Vince Lombardi. What does Rex not do well?
  • develop QBs - said that obviously would not be an issue for Falcons having Matt Ryan.
Finneran asked about who Rex's OC would be? Mehta said maybe he would just keep Dirk Koetter

If we're picking nits, obviously the judgment of the people interviewing enters into the equation, JD. Having said that, the overarching point is true. I'm sure everybody thought Shanahan and his two SB trophies were going to right the ship in Washington. No one expected Sean Payton to be flashing a ring coaching in New Orleans, a team that couldn't get out of its own way for four decades. Bill Walsh wasn't Bill Walsh until San Fran got hold of him and the right set of circumstances converged. Past successes and failures aren't a reliable predictor of future success or failure because the circumstances change dramatically.

Very true. Past records are not an indication of future production. In that regard, head coaches are like stock funds. You need to pick the one that fits the present and future conditions.

Oh, gdawg, I do want to point out that, while firing Leeman was a terrible move, once his circumstances changed, he wasn't successful at all with Tampa. Pretty much demonstrates Steak's point perfectly. We old guys will always lament the firing of Bennett. He's the litmus test for anyone coaching the team. However, he couldn't duplicate his success here once the variables changed elsewhere.

I love all of that except the last part. I'm over Koetter. He is a good OC but I am not a fan of how he ran the offense this year. There was no balance, no commitment to the running game, too many failed WR screens, etc . . .

The only way I would be ok with retaining Koetter is if Rex affirmatively said we would commit to a more balanced offensive attack and running the ball more.

I love all of that except the last part. I'm over Koetter. He is a good OC but I am not a fan of how he ran the offense this year. There was no balance, no commitment to the running game, too many failed WR screens, etc . . .

The only way I would be ok with retaining Koetter is if Rex affirmatively said we would commit to a more balanced offensive attack and running the ball more.

mdrake, it was kind of a throw-away line by the jets beatwriter. He did not seem to know who would be Rex's OC. He mentioned Koetter because it was a name that he knew - Steak said Koetter had already cleared out his office in Flowery Branch.

Steak said to Mehta - sounds like you are describing Vince Lombardi.

Except Vince Lombardi was an offensive guru who controlled all personnel moves. But don't that or any other bit of reality intrude on your little Ryan pipe dream.

mdrake, it was kind of a throw-away line by the jets beatwriter. He did not seem to know who would be Rex's OC. He mentioned Koetter because it was a name that he knew - Steak said Koetter had already cleared out his office in Flowery Branch.

I'm fairly certain Rex would bring his entire defensive staff with him, but I have no idea if he would bring Mornhinweg with him to be OC. The Bucs have shown interest in him and Koetter, along with about 97 other guys, for their OC spot. I don't know what Rex and Mornhinweg's relationship is like. It looked strained at one point this season, Mornhinweg called the dumbest timeout ever in a game, stepping over Rex to do it, and a lot of folks wondered if he would get fired over it. He didn't, but Rex wasn't happy.

eh, hiring a new HC is like drafting a player. They guy you get in the first round could be a huge bust (we could say this is Ryan) vs the guy you get in the 3rd round who turns into your best contributor (some other candidate).

Or perhaps the first round guy becomes the guy you were expecting and the 3rd rounder doesn't make the team???

I'm fairly certain Rex would bring his entire defensive staff with him, but I have no idea if he would bring Mornhinweg with him to be OC. The Bucs have shown interest in him and Koetter, along with about 97 other guys, for their OC spot. I don't know what Rex and Mornhinweg's relationship is like. It looked strained at one point this season, Mornhinweg called the dumbest timeout ever in a game, stepping over Rex to do it, and a lot of folks wondered if he would get fired over it. He didn't, but Rex wasn't happy.

I always assumed Andy Reid's "pass to get a lead, run to ice the game" strategy was all Reid. In reading this article on Mornhinweg, I'm wondering how much of it was him.

And thinking I'd like him as a new OC a whole lot.

http://turnonthejets.com/2013/01/new-york-jets-marty-mornhinwegs-offense-101-an-in-depth-look/

I agree to a point. I thought (and still do) that Ken Whisenhunt was a good coach and that Jim Caldwell was just okay. Perception now is the opposite. Sometimes is about the fit and everything that surrounds the coach.