I Hope Blank Realizes

Xfactor

As long as Dimitroff is here we can't get it right except with Ryan. Not being a Ryan homer but anyone else Quinn, Bowles or Austin will give Dimitroff power by being a rookie HC. Go watch their interviews all 3 seem like nice guys and green. Dimitroff will use that to his advantage.

I've read like most of you that Dimitroff allowed Smith and Nolan to pick the players and I call BS. Dimitroff is very involved in the draft and in FA. Dimitroff was on the practice field every day like Smith and this guy is not involved yeah right. He will be chirping in the rookie head coach's ear making suggestions and the new guy will listen until he figures out Dimitroff is an idiot.

We will lose valuable time and players until then. Ryan is the only one who will tell Dimitroff to F#$% off and run the show from day one.

Now if McDaniels is hired well just move the team to LA

Edited by Xfactor

Dimitroff didn't "allow" Smith and Nolan to pick players. He let them tell him what players they wanted, and took that into consideration with his FA signings and draft picks. He realizes that you can't just FORCE players onto a coach because if they don't WANT the player or don't know how to USE the player, then you're just wasting everybody's time and money.

I don't think Rex would tell TD to "f off"

Rex may want to be more involved in personnel after his time in NY, yea, but TD comes from a Patriots pedigree -- Rex has Patriots envy, and look, TD picked players yes, but closely in corroboration with Mike Smith and his staff. You really think a team picks the same players regardless of who their coach is at the time?

Dimitroff didn't "allow" Smith and Nolan to pick players. He let them tell him what players they wanted, and took that into consideration with his FA signings and draft picks. He realizes that you can't just FORCE players onto a coach because if they don't WANT the player or don't know how to USE the player, then you're just wasting everybody's time and money.

If your hypothesis is correct then he is even more dangerous not recognizing the need for a edge pass rush. Letting Abraham and Lofton walk and don't even get me started on the Sam Baker contract his finest work yet.

If your hypothesis is correct then he is even more dangerous not recognizing the need for a edge pass rush. Letting Abraham and Lofton walk and don't even get me started on the Sam Baker contract his finest work yet.

Dimitroff and Blank wanted to add edge rushers. Smitty and Nolan wanted inside help. Dimitroff obliged.

From what I understand, he wanted to go with an edge rusher, while Nolan and Smith wanted to "scheme" a rush while building the interior defensive line. They ultimately went with the latter instead of the former.

As long as Dimitroff is here we can't get it right except with Ryan. Not being a Ryan homer but anyone else Quinn, Bowles or Austin will give Dimitroff power by being a rookie HC. Go watch their interviews all 3 seem like nice guys and green. Dimitroff will use that to his advantage.

I've read like most of you that Dimitroff allowed Smith and Nolan to pick the players and I call BS. Dimitroff is very involved in the draft and in FA. Dimitroff was on the practice field every day like Smith and this guy is not involved yeah right. He will be chirping in the rookie head coach's ear making suggestions and the new guy will listen until he figures out Dimitroff is an idiot.

We will lose valuable time and players until then. Ryan is the only one who will tell Dimitroff to F#$% off and run the show from day one.

Now if McDaniels is hired well just move the team to LA

Exactly. There's another thread on here about our "identity". Smitty had an identity. You run the ball to set up play action. And you stop the run to set up a pass rush.

Then, mid-tenure, Dimitroff the weasel destroyed our identity by trying to turn us into Green Bay or the Saints. It's what Smitty meant when he said "I lost my way". So Smitty feel on the sword without a single harsh word. But the weasel remains.

Rex may want to be more involved in personnel after his time in NY, yea, but TD comes from a Patriots pedigree -- Rex has Patriots envy, and look, TD picked players yes, but closely in corroboration with Mike Smith and his staff. You really think a team picks the same players regardless of who their coach is at the time?

That's getting really old. How's that Patriot coaching tree worked out so far. He will try to use his experience and home field advantage against a rookie HC just my opinion and the only one who would stand up to him is Ryan.

and did TD bring in a DT that could actually PUSH the Pocket??

In NE Belichick gave Pioli and TD a list of positions, they brought forth the Lisy.

Belichick chose the players.

So here it is only natural that TD's insecurity from being under billys thumb

would reverse itself.

TD cant manage players.

And Rex Ryan does not attend offensive meetings.

Rex Ryan ingnores and runs his offenses into the trash and he will

do the same thing in Atlanta.

Rex is a great coach, but i'd much rather have TD making the personnel calls. How many of us would rather have Milliner than Trufant?

Rex was hamstrung by a GM in New York. Anything outside the top 3 I would rather Rex have the say especially on defensive players

Like Karst said let TD bring a list and let Ryan pick

Edited by Xfactor

TD thinks he has a special crystal ball when it comes to drafting, so he makes unique decisions. But he doesn't have a crystal ball at all, so we end up with lack of talent.

Then, to make things worse, TD wants to be right, so he insists we play those substandard players he drafted. He extends them when he shouldn't.

The result is we're going to suck as long as TD is here. He may know how to set up and run a scouting operation, but as long as he has authority to make player personnel decisions, we're going to suck. You can't take advantage of his ability to run a scouting org because of his crystal ball/ego problem.

Dimitroff and Blank wanted to add edge rushers. Smitty and Nolan wanted inside help. Dimitroff obliged.

To be fair there were no quality edge rushers to be had. The way the draft played out taking Mathews was needed. Hageman looked to good to pass up in the second. They did take Shembo, Spruill, and Starr trying to find that diamond edge rusher in the rough. No edge rushers in FA...

And Smitty and Nolan were correct. You build a pass rush from the inside out. You put pressure in the QBs face so he can't step up in the pocket. We had plenty of edge rush in 2012. But QBs were constantly stepping up and Abe and Kroy were missing wide. Then Dimi cut Abe and we lost ALL our pass rush.

And Dimi did not oblige. If he did, we would've drafted Aaron Donald.

And Smitty and Nolan were correct. You build a pass rush from the inside out. You put pressure in the QBs face so he can't step up in the pocket. We had plenty of edge rush in 2012. But QBs were constantly stepping up and Abe and Kroy were missing wide. Then Dimi cut Abe and we lost ALL our pass rush.

They specifically mentioned stopping the run, not pushing the interior pocket. Stop the run (Soliai and Jackson), and scheme a pass rush.

^^^Exactly.

Tommy is a collaborator. It turns out that he has been collaborating with a guy that did not have a clear vision for this football team.

Baker is the 18th highest paid LT on a per year basis. He's getting paid what he was worth. Could have structured the deal better, but it's a middle of the pack deal for a LT. They also have more than enough cap space to cut him this coming year and still make all the FA signings they need to.

Abe got let go for off the field issues, and wouldn't have looked nearly as good in 2013 w/o playing beside a top notch Dline.

Lofton was Nolan's doing. TD offered Lofton more money than NO, but Nolan had poisoned the well by then.

If TD goes, I'm OK with it, but think he's done a better job than some give him credit for. If he does stay, this well be a critical offseason. Get a couple of pass rushers in FA, another vet Olineman as well, hit the first 3 picks- pass rush, LB & RB would be my choice, this team can be right back in the playoff mix.

Aaron Donald went #13, he would have been a stretch at 6 (which we took arguably the safest pick in the draft for a position we desperately needed to upgrade). He was long gone by the second round. It has been reported multiple times we were going to take Lawrence in the 2nd but Dallas traded up ahead of us for him, so they took Hagemen. Not sure how you even make a case they should have taken Aaron Donald based on where we were in the draft.

Exactly. There's another thread on here about our "identity". Smitty had an identity. You run the ball to set up play action. And you stop the run to set up a pass rush.

Then, mid-tenure, Dimitroff the weasel destroyed our identity by trying to turn us into Green Bay or the Saints. It's what Smitty meant when he said "I lost my way". So Smitty feel on the sword without a single harsh word. But the weasel remains.

From all indications, the changes made came from Arthur Blank. I guess he is your "weasel".

Baker is the 18th highest paid LT on a per year basis. He's getting paid what he was worth. Could have structured the deal better, but it's a middle of the pack deal for a LT. They also have more than enough cap space to cut him this coming year and still make all the FA signings they need to.

Abe got let go for off the field issues, and wouldn't have looked nearly as good in 2013 w/o playing beside a top notch Dline.

Lofton was Nolan's doing. TD offered Lofton more money than NO, but Nolan had poisoned the well by then.

Dimitroff was suckered by the Sam playing to his draft status on his contract year, I'm not buying anything about Abe not performing in 2013 seeing as he was a one-man wrecking crew from 2007-2012, and Lofton was mediocre then and is terrible now.

Why didn't Rex whisper in Tannebaums ear about giving Sanchez the farm before he was proven? Or in Idzik's ear for trading Revis and drafting Millner as the replacement. Why didn't he speak up when they drafted Geno and ordained him the starting QB?

I'm not saying it is Rex's fault or even his place to do such but a GM and coach should be a partnership. For the most part TD did bring in the guys Smith wanted.

Guest Homer the Brave

Arthur Blank issued the mandate to become more explosive. Never forget that my friend...

I'm telling ya, the Falcons' problem is an ownership problem. He knows nothing about football, but insists on meddling.

I just wish he would call Ted Turner and get some advice about learning to hire the right people then get out of the way. Ted learned the hard way. If Arthur is such a smart guy, why can't he see that?

Edited by Jobko57

I wasn't talking about the draft, I was talking about FA.

And if we didn't have Jake, we'd have been EVEN WORSE in 2014, and have an even DIMMER outlook for 2015.