Personnel Changes In The Offseason

What do you think the personnel changes needed to get to the playoffs regardless of the HC or coordinators? Assuming they are at least half way compitent.

Offense - I would cut Baker after June 1 and eat the 6 and a half million to the cap, or rework his contract and give him an injury settlement for maybe a cap hit of 3.5 this year, 2.5 next and 1 the following year. Gives him a million more and helps us too; Restructure Blalock and extend him out a year or two; Cut Konz; Release Quizz and Jackson; Try and trade Roddy. Then I would pick up the best guard or center from FA (spend top dollar). Hopefully Hawley plays equal to or better than next year and we get a road gratting guard. I think we are okay at tackle, but need depth. Find a good value power back, and bring up some of our talent up to fill the WR role (Julio #1, ??? #2, HD or Roddy #3, ??? #4, Weems #5).

Defensively - let Osi and Bierman walk, let spoon walk cut Babs, resign Moore. Pick up the best (top dollar) DE in the draft and same with an ILB (Top dollar), try and find either a value DE or LB in FA and spend the first three draft picks on DE and OLB.

Then I would offer Beirman, Babs and Spoon minimum deals with maybe some performance bonuses.

The rest of draft should be spent on depth at OL, DL and LB.

We will still need to pick up a better TE, RB and possibly a young WR but that will have to wait until 2016 draft.

Just my 2 cents.

Sorry, on my work computer and I cannot control spacing.I thought we should have traded Roddy two years ago when we could have maybe gotten a 2nd rounder for him. We might get a 6 or 7th for him now. I like Roddy, but we need more parts and an older, injury prone WR isn't going to help more than a draft pick.

As things stand, Roddy is currently a strength. I cant disagree with you about his age, and injuries are indeed starting to creep into his game, as well as drops, however he is still of the ability to be a legitimate starter in this league.

A number of teams would love to have Roddy, but his value to us and his trade value are vastly different. To us he is a very competent no2 and a superb acompliment to Julio when healthy. A 6th round pick does not represent the same value as a seasoned veteran who still brings strong production and leadership to the team. Do you disagree?

With the need for defensive change, dismantling our strengths on offense doesnt seem wise at this moment in time.

Edited by halifaxfalcon

Not saying I would just dump Roddy, but you have to compare his value versus his return. Look at the Steelers and the Pats as an example. They regularly trade guys who still have value but are declining. That is how you keep a winning team on the field. Roddy is still an asset, but in another year no one is going to want him.

Not saying I would just dump Roddy, but you have to compare his value versus his return. Look at the Steelers and the Pats as an example. They regularly trade guys who still have value but are declining. That is how you keep a winning team on the field. Roddy is still an asset, but in another year no one is going to want him.

This i do agree with! Mankins to the bucs a prime example! However, the aforementioned teams have not experienced the same problems we currently face. They have already got replacements in the wings. With our ageing wr core we do not!

Julio is our go to guy! After that and with roddy out of the equation, i don't see douglas as the number 2 guy. Hester, weems and martino are option guys and ST players at besr. We need to invest higher than a 6th on a replacement and the FA pool offers talent but at what price? And several players with off tfhe field issues.

I think the focus on. Rb, fb, te and o-line on offense alone without playing around at reciever is a big enough task before creating more problems. Thats just my opinion.

I commend your thinking and logic, i just dont think its a viable and necessary move for us with the problems we already face.

As things stand, Roddy is currently a strength. I cant disagree with you about his age, and injuries are indeed starting to creep into his game, as well as drops, however he is still of the ability to be a legitimate starter in this league.

A number of teams would love to have Roddy, but his value to us and his trade value are vastly different.

^^This^^

The solution at WR is to use a relatively high draft pick this year (2nd-4th round) and infuse the receiving corps with some legitimate youth. Julio-Roddy-Harry is fine for a top 3 going into next season. Grooming a replacement for Roddy will require investing via the draft. And that means getting a WR sooner than the 5th-7th rounds.

Sorry, on my work computer and I cannot control spacing.I thought we should have traded Roddy two years ago when we could have maybe gotten a 2nd rounder for him. We might get a 6 or 7th for him now. I like Roddy, but we need more parts and an older, injury prone WR isn't going to help more than a draft pick.

Trading Roddy... Not off to a good start on your offseason moves

Roddy is due a lot of money (cap space). We can sign better WR's for less (sorry for all the player fans out there, it's true). We have to look at what is best for the team over the next 3 or 4 seasons. This isn't a Roddy tread. Just think we have other options that make the team stronger.

Not gonna happen

The part that you're not looking it is that it doesn't make sense with respect to dead money on the salary cap. Roddy would cost $5.6 million to trade this offseason, and $5.5 million to keep.

Roddys cap hot stands at around $5.5 this year. For a solid starter it is more than acceptable. If you are aggrieved about cap hits... Douglas's stands at $4.4 and hes our 3rd option. His contract expires next season and therefore $4.4mm saved.

The big cap casualties this year come in the form of S Jackson $5mm Blalock $7.9mm and Baker $7.3mm. (His will likely meed to be a restructure)

White's cap figure and value to us mean he will not be moved.