If Rex Ryan's In, Is T. Dimitroff Out?

Arthur Blank has stated there won't be any power struggle no matter who is hired for Falcons head coach. That may be Blank's desire, but I'm not sure that won't happen in any case. If Ryan does come to the ATL I suspect it will be because he was assured he will be at the very least the "first among equals." I can't pretend to know what's going on behind the doors at Flowery Branch, but I have a hard time imagining Thomas Dimitroff being enthusiastic about Rex Ryan coming to the Falcons.

I know there are a lot of Tom haters out there, but the fact is it usually doesn't work well, especially long term, when a coach is also the effective GM. General managers tend to plan for the long term while head coaches tend to want to do whatever to win now. There might be some exceptions, but not many I've seen; Ryan doesn't impress me as a long term planning type of guy.

If Dimitroff is relegated to a subsidiary role than what he enjoyed with Mike Smith, either explicitly or implicitly, I can't see the Ryan/Dimitroff relationship ending well. If Ryan is in, don't be surprised to see Dimitroff resigning soon afterwards.

as far as I know, Rex doesnt want to be the GM and deal with contracts and stuff like that, he probably could have gotten that role in New York if he wanted it. Obviously he wants a say in personnel, but most likely not the full role. We would probably keep TD unless Rex wants his guy as GM.

TD needs to go whomever we pick as head coach. An azzclown who just can't grasp the concept of an edge rusher can't get the job done here. Every time I think of Abraham being let go and not being replaced I want to scream. TD and the entire Falcon's organization has simply ridden Matt Ryan's jockstrap since 2008. That ain't gonna get it done.

Arthur Blank has stated there won't be any power struggle no matter who is hired for Falcons head coach. That may be Blank's desire, but I'm not sure that won't happen in any case. If Ryan does come to the ATL I suspect it will be because he was assured he will be at the very least the "first among equals." I can't pretend to know what's going on behind the doors at Flowery Branch, but I have a hard time imagining Thomas Dimitroff being enthusiastic about Rex Ryan coming to the Falcons.

I know there are a lot of Tom haters out there, but the fact is it usually doesn't work well, especially long term, when a coach is also the effective GM. General managers tend to plan for the long term while head coaches tend to want to do whatever to win now. There might be some exceptions, but not many I've seen; Ryan doesn't impress me as a long term planning type of guy.

If Dimitroff is relegated to a subsidiary role than what he enjoyed with Mike Smith, either explicitly or implicitly, I can't see the Ryan/Dimitroff relationship ending well. If Ryan is in, don't be surprised to see Dimitroff resigning soon afterwards.

hopefully

um...no. It makes no sense. TD and Rex are a perfect combination. Rex knows defense and TD is more than willing to let his head coach pick players he wants. TD knows offensive players and loves picking them. That combo might clash a bit but it's the healthy kind of clashing that leads to objectively excellent decisions being made.

Wouldn't make sense for Tommy to be involved in the process if the HC would get rid of him. What I like about Blank is that he is involved in a good way. He was patient with Smitty, and will be with the next HC as long as he can see some progress. But Blank also knows his own limitations, he is better at the business part than the analyzing etc. With that being said, he is certain, that this team has to be good and peak within 3-4 years - otherwise some key players are to old.

I'll start by saying that when the season ended I wanted us to completely clean house. After having time to think over the last week my opinions have calmed somewhat.

If we get Rex i think TD stays. I have not been pleased with a number of moves made by TD over the last few years (not replacing abe been a significant sore point, drafting Jerry, signing baker to his mad contract another). However, he always tried to provide Smitty with what he wanted. He would do the same for Rex!

He has also managed the cap very well over the years! There are worse GM's out there! I never imagined i'd say that a week ago!

Wasn't Rex's big excuse in NYC that he didn't have a good GM who tried to be on the same page with him? No. I think TD stays. He's had some things not work out, like every team; and because of our lack of success the last couple seasons, we point to those. But overall, when he's working in tandem with his HC, he's a good GM.

TD is safe for at least a year.

I would have thought that if Rex is in, Dimi would be out - that was my thought.

However, on 680 this morning, Steak Shapiro interviewed the Jets beatwriter - Mehta - and he said that Rex is not power hungry for personnel and he thought he would work fine w/ Dimitroff or whoever.

surprised at that - but that is what he said.

I would have thought that if Rex is in, Dimi would be out - that was my thought.

However, on 680 this morning, Steak Shapiro interviewed the Jets beatwriter - Mehta - and he said that Rex is not power hungry for personnel and he thought he would work fine w/ Dimitroff or whoever.

surprised at that - but that is what he said.

I don't think that's surprising at all. Rex seems kind of easygoing. He doesn't strike me as an overbearing control freak like Belichick or Harbaugh.