The Debate To End All Debates

WOR

Soooo I think it's time.

Will coach Bud be a better coach than Pop when it's all said and done?

Criticize all you want, right now if you're building a program for the future I think a lot of people will choose coach Bud.

I'm not talking right now. Pop wins and it's not even close. But when both are retired who do you think will have more success?

Pop has had 3 all Stars and 2 superstars for the majority of his run.

Coach Bud is doing what he's doing with a bunch of fringe all Stars. He only has one top pick on the entire team. Just think what will come when Atlanta starts infusing top talent.

It's too early, but Bud does lead right now because of what you just said Al Horford is no Tim Duncan, and I don't know if anyone on this squad is close to D. Rob, but in time and we're seeing it right now Teague can become either just as good or better than Tony Parker. No clue who our Manu is yet.,

Good opening post WOR! I agree with zone#7 about it being to early but the man is definitely a great motivator like POP. Just imagine if we get a true center like Timmy. The sky is the limit for this team.

Well if Nets keep losing as it stands we could get Willie Cauley-Stein which I feel wouldn't be a bad thing, or go and the Wisconsin boy Frank Krimansey think that's how you spell edit it just in case.

Just put up a new thread to be used in the future though maybe not right now.

Edited by Zone#7

Soooo I think it's time.

Criticize all you want, right now if you're building a program for the future I think a lot of people will choose coach Bud.

I'm not talking right now. Pop wins and it's not even close. But when both are retired who do you think will have more success?

Coach Bud is doing what he's doing with a bunch of fringe all Stars. He only has one top pick on the entire team. Just think what will come when Atlanta starts infusing top talent.

Hammer of the gods ! So damm exciting to be a Hawks fan now.

Soooo I think it's time.

Too soon. We haven't won a playoff series as YET!

I like and appreciate your enthusiasm though. Lol.

When one coach starts out with a "4-ring" lead, I think the smart money would be to bet Popovich. I think Budenholzer is just as good as Pops - but that is a HUGE deficit to overcome in titles.

Very very good point. And unless the Nets completely bomb this year we really don't have a chance to get Tim Duncan. So that's another step back for bud. If we ever paid for a Tim on the open market, we'd have to blow up the team to afford it.

Very very good point. And unless the Nets completely bomb this year we really don't have a chance to get Tim Duncan. So that's another step back for bud. If we ever paid for a Tim on the open market, we'd have to blow up the team to afford it.

Maybe I am naive an overly optimistic, but I believe the best course for Hawks is to try and keep this exact team together - maybe tinker around the edges but Hawks need to re-sign Milsap and Carroll and keep the nucleus of Horford, Milsap, Korver, Teague and Carroll together.

Maybe I am naive an overly optimistic, but I believe the best course for Hawks is to try and keep this exact team together - maybe tinker around the edges but Hawks need to re-sign Milsap and Carroll and keep the nucleus of Horford, Milsap, Korver, Teague and Carroll together.

If they can make a run in the playoffs I'd agree with you. If they have another early (1st or 2nd round) exit I'm not so sure. Can't keep doing something that doesn't work. I keep hoping Brooklyn will blow up their roster but since we have rights to their pick they have no incentive to rid themselves of their aging, overpaid vets.

Yeah the best scenario possible is probably 2 titles with this group. And that's the best you can hope for.

We didn't start this with young guys, and we don't really have a chance to get young stars unless we nail some draft picks

Steak Shapiro on 680 just said Pop has said Bud was the one that designed the Spurs offense.

Ive never heard that before

I've read a lot of Spurs related articles etc, and I've never heard that. Steak loves making stuff up. Like all things Spurs, I'm sure it was a collaborative effort by the entire coaching staff.

People forget that when TD first came in the league the Spurs were a low post defensive team, not this motion offense we see today.

Like I said, a collaborative effort. Found this article on the Spurs transition to this offense.

I've been interested in those questions for a long time but never thought I'd get an answer from the man himself. And then a few days ago J.R. Wilco sent me the audio from the pre-game Q&A that Pop had recently. Someone asked Gregg Popovich those questions. Here's what he answered:

"It's a motion offense. It's malleable. It's ever-changing, in the sense that when players are moving and the ball is moving, sometimes things happen on offense that you didn't even plan on, that players just do, and it becomes part of the offense. Other things, coaches may concoct them over in an offense because you watch enough film and you try to manipulate something and it becomes part of the offense.
But basically, back in the late 90s, Brett (Brown), Bud (
) and I, and coach (Hank) Egan decided how we wanted to play, what kind of offense we wanted to use and we decided on a motion offense and put in the basics. And each year we would tweak it a little bit ourselves, we'd add something we saw the players do. So it evolved and continues to evolve. It doesn't stay exactly the same but the base is always there"

http://www.poundingtherock.com/2014/4/7/5587716/gregg-popovich-evolution-san-antonio-offense-system

Edited by jayu70