Chicago Tribune - Todd Bowles Article

truefalcon

Bears face stiff competition for hot coaching candidate Todd Bowles

"If you have been around them for five minutes you know (Bowles and Steelers defensive coordinator **** LeBeau) are a little different than the average coach," Foote said. "They both have one of those minds. And then from a personality standpoint, Todd has the it factor."

Bowles' name has been associated with five of the six head-coaching vacancies and is expected to begin interviews this week. It will be interesting to see whether or not the Bears, who have requested permission to meet with Bowles, can capture his attention. Interview requests are not always fulfilled. Because the Bears would like to hire a general manager first, it remains to be seen if they can move quickly enough to have a chance at Bowles. Sources indicated Bowles may meet with the Falcons first and some have suggested that is his preferred destination.

Foote said Bowles' greatest trait is his adaptability while maintaining high standards, the type of pressure players crave in a competitive environment.

"What is unique about him is he can scream, cuss you out, get in your face and two minutes later he's hugging you, laughing with you and joking," Foote said. "That is a special skill. It's kind of like the uncle who chews your butt out but you know he means well. I've been with a lot of coaches that are on one side of that or the other, they didn't have both and Todd has both. That is why guys listen to him. They don't tune him out. They know how good he is."

My vote is for Bowles for Head Coach of the Falcons, but I read today that even Mike Shanahan is going to interview with the Falcons. He already interviewed with the Raiders who fired him years ago and had a feud with Al Davis. He must want to coach again real bad, especially if he wants to coach the Raiders.

Arthur will go with Rex. Again, the WORST case scenario of the Rex Ryan/Matt Ryan era will be 8-8 with great defense. Bowels *might* be just as good, but we dont know that and Arthur wont risk finding out with PSLs to sell.

You may be right about Arthur and Bowles. I just don't really trust having Rex on board.

If this is all about selling PSL's then Arthur stated that he is seeking a Big Name.

Simpler Logic will tell you that this would be a Coach who has a HUANDFUL of Super Bowl Rings.

Most likely these rings would have been as a Assistant and or Cooridinator and as a Head Coach.

Sorry Kids, but there aint many of those guys around, especially ones that are not under Contract!

and who know Offense like nobodys business.

Who have also built forbidding defenses... yeah buddy, there aint but one.

But Arty Blank is too f'n stoopit to hire him anyway.

Arthur will go with Rex. Again, the WORST case scenario of the Rex Ryan/Matt Ryan era will be 8-8 with great defense. Bowels *might* be just as good, but we dont know that and Arthur wont risk finding out with PSLs to sell.

It will take longer than an offseason to rebuild the defense and the offense is littered with needs as well, especially up front. So, no, 8-8 is not, "a worst case scenario," especially considering Rex's history of ignoring the needs on offense to continue loading up on defense.

Todd Bowles is rising quickly on my want list. Not because he's a defensive coach but because his defenses favor an aggressive approach. If all he did was brought that attitude towards our offense we would have a top ten scoring offense.

The only real problem I had with Smitty was that he seemed to drive his indy car offense like grandma's buick. If we accelerated early we slowed down and if we couldn't get it in gear we stalled. It happened so often in the last three years and yet Smitty never seemed to identify thst the culture he had breed or allowed to breed was the cause.

I didn't play football as a kid, but I did play various sports. I was always taught that you play the game with a sense of urgency until the game ends. We never seemed to have that under Smith.

If Todd Bowles brings that attitude, hire the man.

It will matter what Korn Ferry has to say in all this. Blank hired them to sit in each and every interview that has been set up. It is all going to hinge what they find with each candidate.

I bet Blank has given them a profile of the type of personality that he what's coaching the Falcons and it is up to them to find that guy

It will matter what Korn Ferry has to say in all this. Blank hired them to sit in each and every interview that has been set up. It is all going to hinge what they find with each candidate.

I bet Blank has given them a profile of the type of personality that he what's coaching the Falcons and it is up to them to find that guy

the thing that intrigues me about Bowles is his agressive nature.

Not only on defense though....if he carries the same aggressive philosophy on offense, I could see him bringing in a OC to really push the ball downfield.

Man, it would be great to see an offense run like Pep runs in Indy. Would be nice to find a defensive coach, that also wants to attack the opposing defenses, and not be conservative and try to win through the defense.