Teryl Austin Interview Wednesday

Kurtzyy

@AKinkhabwala: Lions DC (and Pitt alum) Teryl Austin scheduled to interview in Atlanta and San Fran Wednesday and Thursday. #risingstar

This would also satisfy the Rooney rule, so we would be able to hire anyone at any time after that interview. We may not allow Austin to leave if he nails it lol

Edited by Kurtzyy

I feel sorry for the coaches that get interviewed just for the Rooney Rule criteria. They know it, we know it, just sux.

That said I think Bowles is a legit candidate. Not sure if we are serious about Austin tho.

Better than not getting interviewed at all. For all who despise the Rooney rule...why?

What negative affect does it have on you personally?

I dont mind the Rooney Rule because it means at least a minority applicant is getting a chance in a league where the majority owners and head coaches are not the minority. If they prove they are the best candidate then so be it.

This^

I think Donald Sterling proved that there is still some bigotry in the world

I feel the Rooney rule is pointless due to the fact that if the owner/GM/organization/white devils are racist and wouldn't grant a non-white applicant a shot without the rule, then what's the odds that the applicant will have a real chance just because the organizations are forced to interview them?

Seems like you'd just be wasting the applicant's time and money.

Rooney rule = racism = giving people a different set of rules based on the color of their skin.

Teams should be able to interview the people they feel are the best fit for the job. Skin color should not matter at all.

How is it racism?

The whole point was that teams were not interviewing minorities because of their skin color.

It's racism to add in at least 1 extra interview of a minority that you don't even have to hire???

Edited by ATLFalcons11

And interviewing black coaching candidates would change that?

Of course not. You can't change everybody's mind.

But if given the opportunity, then possibly you could. Before the Rooney rule there weren't many given opportunities to change someone's perception about their football acumen based on their skin color.

The Rooney rule is all about an opportunity to change the mindset of some close minded folks. It's not always successful but we can clearly see if we look across the NFL now compared to then that it has changed some.

Sterling didn't want his black lady friend banging black dudes

If that's the only thing you thought, then you didn't pay enough attention to it.

So Sterling thought his lady friend was gonna bang Magic Johnson???

Yea that would be a major fail on her part. Lol

Edited by ATLFalcons11

Before the Rooney rule, there were 6 minority HC's in the NFL. Since its been in place, Only 12 have been hired. I think the concept is good, but its not working like it should..Probably need to take Rooneys name off of it. Gonna ruin his legacy..

The Rooney rule did result in Mike Tomlin being hired. The Steelers were leaning toward Ken Whisenhunt, who was already on staff, until someone suggested they go with the guy who interviewed the best. However, it is typically a joke, as it was when we hired Quitrino, who was who ownership wanted as soon as Mora was fired. I dig the spirit of the rule but not the honesty of the process.