Why The Falcons D Wasn't As Bad As It Seemed This Year And Why There's Hope For Next Year.

Sorry Idae but they were bad. I agree they got better in the second half of the season but they pretty much got handled all year. Couldn't stop the run. Couldn't rush the QB. Couldn't get off the field on third down. Couldn't tackle. Couldn't Play60. Many here say it was coaching and scheme. I still think it was talent and execution.

Never said they were GOOD, just that they weren't as bad as they looked.

As always, think it's a combination of things- the offense certainly didn't help them much, think the schemes were whack much of the time and add in talent, execution, it was a mess.

Hoping that some of the youngsters develop into players, that a different schemes helps and that they grab some pass rushers this offseason. Also hoping that the offense does it's share.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, too many on the board seem to think the offense was fine, and that Rex Ryan will just magically come in and snap his fingers and give us a top 5 defense.

We had serious lapses in the offense that need to be addressed. My concern is hiring someone like Ryan will neglect those issues, or worse, cause the Offense to regress.

Rex likes to run the football and play smash mouth defense. If we get back to a more balanced offensive attack and play good defense, the offense will improve.

When the Clowns got the ball back with less than a minute and a two-point deficit, I turned to my Mom and Dad, who are Browns fans, and told them that the Browns would win the game. They suggested that I was kidding. After the inevitable result, they asked how I knew the Falcons would blow the game. "I've seen this movie too many times" was the honest reply.

Already answered this.

1. no, I don't, I'm making a point here, don't need to prove it's true for other teams, just this one. If I want to claim that the Falcons were top ten in points allowed minus the points the offense allowed, then yes, I would have to, but that's not what I'm doing.

I'm simply saying that the Falcons offense made the D look worse than it actually was. Which it did.

2. Falcons were worse at it than all the other teams- Falcons threw 5 pick6s, 26 other teams only threw 0,1 or 2. Same for the other situations I listed.

If you're going to try to skip ranking while not applying the same variables to the rest of the teams, your whole point is tainted. You have to apply the same "if's" to them all. Fumbles returned? Kickoff/punt returned?

Edited by 𝓜èφhì§τö

Sorry Idae but they were bad. I agree they got better in the second half of the season but they pretty much got handled all year. Couldn't stop the run. Couldn't rush the QB. Couldn't get off the field on third down. Couldn't tackle. Couldn't Play60. Many here say it was coaching and scheme. I still think it was talent and execution.

The tackling was the absolute worst thing of all ....as for the pass rush, I saw a lot of times we did a good job of moving the QB off his point, but could not close the deal....

If you're going to try to skip ranking while not applying the same variables to the rest of the teams, your whole point is tainted. You have to apply the same "if's" to them all. Fumbles returned? Kickoff/punt returned?

No, I don't. and no it isn't.

Falcons offense left the defense out to dry way too much. It made them look worse than they were. Don't see how you can have watched the games and disagree. I was just giving examples of what I was talking about.

Again, never said they were good.

Falcons offense left the defense out to dry way too much. It made them look worse than they were. Don't see how you can have watched the games and disagree. I was just giving examples of what I was talking about.

It's all part of the game. How many times did the defense fold and leave the offense out to dry with horrible field position? The defense couldn't pressure the QB to save their life and hardly got off of the field on third down. How often does it force your offense to press when they know that it's a shootout? Does it cause a QB to press and make stupid decisions that lead to a pick 6?

There's no sugar coating this defense.

I can agree with that, but it was a two way street....

Hey, throw out the Panthers' game and this offense is top 10 in scoring. Imagine if the defense could have got off of the field more on third down, could pressure the QB and force turnovers or have been better at scoring. This team probably would have won a LOT more.

This is the kind of game that can go on forever.

Hey, throw out the Panthers' game and this offense is top 10 in scoring. Imagine if the defense could have got off of the field more on third down, could pressure the QB and force turnovers or have been better at scoring. This team probably would have won a LOT more.

This is the kind of game that can go on forever.

What side of the team was supposed to be strongest going into the season?

Second Tampa game, Falcons offense leaves about a 1.30 in the first half, Tampa goes down and scores. Sure, D needs to make a stop, but another first down by the offense means that Tam never gets the ball.

Sh## like that happened a lot this season. That's what I'm saying in this thread.

Our offense and defense both had the same problem: lack of identity. Who were we on defense? We didn't tackle well, pressure the QB, turn the ball over, or dominate in any level (line, LBs, or secondary). Nobody really needed to game plan for us because we didn't offer anything to worry about.

The same on offense. With an inconsisitent line, we couldn't beat a good team because we let Matt get hit and we couldn't run consistently, either off guard, tackle, or around the edges. There was a long stretch when Julio and Roddy were dropping balls like crazy and our tight ends offered nothing of note, so our passing game was okay but not great.

At least when we had Turner, we could count on a good running game to balance our passing, in spite of BVG's bend-but-don't-break D. Consider the teams in the playoffs right now and I guarantee you'll know immediately what each of them does well. Even the Panties, who ate our OL like popcorn at a Saturday morning matinee in week 17. Until this team establishes an identity (read: some dominant area of play), we'll be mediocre at best.

I agree and I get the OP's point as well! We DO NOT have a dominant offense, we as fans have to stop saying that! 24 pts a game is not dominant! I agree the offense let the defense down as well as the Defensive Coaches letting us down by not trying anything different and not trying young guys when the veterans were not getting the job done!

Never said they were GOOD, just that they weren't as bad as they looked.

As always, think it's a combination of things- the offense certainly didn't help them much, think the schemes were whack much of the time and add in talent, execution, it was a mess.

Hoping that some of the youngsters develop into players, that a different schemes helps and that they grab some pass rushers this offseason. Also hoping that the offense does it's share.

Well if anybody know's me, you know me bro. I'm gonna try to tell it like it I.S. is. I've seen pretty much every Falcon defense and every other NFL defense since the sixties. We have not had a championship defense since maybe 1998. Maybe.

Yall can blame it on coaching, but I blame it on talent and execution. We are devoid of talent on the defensive side of the ball. I mean just look at the cap spend. $84M on offense, $32M on defense. Come on man. We need a little more balance. In the war room and on the field. You think?

I am positive we need to first find the right coach. Then declare a base defense. 4-3 or 3-4. Then fill in the BLANKS. We have a lot of BLANKS on defense. Edge rushers, cover backers, run stoppers, tacklers, play makers, you name it.

Well if anybody know's me, you know me bro. I'm gonna try to tell it like it I.S. is. I've seen pretty much every Falcon defense and every other NFL defense since the sixties. We have not had a championship defense since maybe 1998. Maybe.

Yall can blame it on coaching, but I blame it on talent and execution. We are devoid of talent on the defensive side of the ball. I mean just look at the cap spend. $84M on offense, $32M on defense. Come on man. We need a little more balance. In the war room and on the field. You think?

I am positive we need to first find the right coach. Then declare a base defense. 4-3 or 3-4. Then fill in the BLANKS. We have a lot of BLANKS on defense. Edge rushers, cover backers, run stoppers, tacklers, play makers, you name it.

Good post ....and some of us here are actually old enough to remember 9 pts pg allowed LMFAO .....

I really hope they bring back the nastiness the Offense had. Where were those guys that chased people down and forced fumbles after a turnover?

It was like if Matt made a mistake and tossed a pick they just gave up and said the hell with it and it was a 6pts. Pissed me off so much to see the offense not try very hard after seeing them do it before and knowing they're capable of it.

Yeah, I know, 32nd this, 27th that OMFG, you're an ...... Just hear me out.

Going to talk about Scoring D and how the offense and big plays skewed the numbers.

Falcons gave up 417 points.

However, lets look closer:

4 pick 6s, sigh...28 points

5 times opponents STARTED in the red zone..21 point

5 times, Falcon O left time on the clock end of half/game-35 points

That's 84 points as a direct result of the offense not doing it's job, if you judge the D on the points they allowed, they would have been top ten.

Then there's the indirect result of too many 3 and outs wearing out a D.

That's before the multiple breakdowns on D- lots of big plays like the 59 yard pass on 3rd and 25, the long pass in the CIN that Alford failed to knock down and on and on...

If the Oline had stayed healthy and the offense performed better, this D would have looked much better. If they'd played more fundamentally sound D, they look much better.

Yes, I know that's an oversimplification of the situation, but the offense's woes really hurt the D too.

Don't want to return to the 2010 offense designed for 10-12 play drives to keep our D off the field, but a better Oline and run game will make everything work better next year.

Then, put the players on the D in a simpler scheme that puts round pegs in round holes and assuming they get a couple of pass rushers and get some development from the youngsters, the D could look transformed next year. But, it wasn't as bad as it seemed this year.

MAN, WHERE THE **** HAVE YOU BEEN THE LAST 6 MONTHS?

Yeah, I know, 32nd this, 27th that OMFG, you're an ...... Just hear me out.

Going to talk about Scoring D and how the offense and big plays skewed the numbers.

Falcons gave up 417 points.

However, lets look closer:

4 pick 6s, sigh...28 points

5 times opponents STARTED in the red zone..21 point

5 times, Falcon O left time on the clock end of half/game-35 points

That's 84 points as a direct result of the offense not doing it's job, if you judge the D on the points they allowed, they would have been top ten.

Then there's the indirect result of too many 3 and outs wearing out a D.

That's before the multiple breakdowns on D- lots of big plays like the 59 yard pass on 3rd and 25, the long pass in the CIN that Alford failed to knock down and on and on...

If the Oline had stayed healthy and the offense performed better, this D would have looked much better. If they'd played more fundamentally sound D, they look much better.

Yes, I know that's an oversimplification of the situation, but the offense's woes really hurt the D too.

Don't want to return to the 2010 offense designed for 10-12 play drives to keep our D off the field, but a better Oline and run game will make everything work better next year.

Then, put the players on the D in a simpler scheme that puts round pegs in round holes and assuming they get a couple of pass rushers and get some development from the youngsters, the D could look transformed next year. But, it wasn't as bad as it seemed this year.

bolded the only point I'm going to contest, and really not contesting it, just throwing a curve on it. How about it they'd HELD a few teams to more three and outs, or just gotten off the field on 3rd down more often instead of giving up so many third and longs?