Why The Falcons D Wasn't As Bad As It Seemed This Year And Why There's Hope For Next Year.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So turn overs inside the 20, or pick 6s don't happen to other teams, and every possession before half is equal to 7 points? There are better ways to put lipstick on this pig.

None of those things happened at the rate they happened here. Check out PFR.

Falcons had 5 pick6s, 26 other teams had 1 or 2.

Falcons allowed 5 TD on 4 minute drives, 14 teams allowed 2 or fewer.

Only 4 teams had more drives w/ opponent starting in the red zone. 10 teams allowed 0-1 TD in that situation, Falcons allowed 3.

Falcons were one of the few teams "leading" in all those categories.

With a 15th ranked defense this year we easily could have won 10 games even with our often injured Oline.

Nolan should have been fired during the Bye week.

I feel nothing but the deepest contempt and disdain for Mike Nolan. Worthless POS should never be a DC in the NFL again after his epic demonstration of moronic futility with the Falcons.

I feel nothing but the deepest contempt and disdain for Mike Nolan. Worthless POS should never be a DC in the NFL again after his epic demonstration of moronic futility with the Falcons.

Yep

I do not understand it either as I really liked him as a DC and he also had a pretty progressive mindset.

This year though it's like he was hit on the head and did everything backwards and was trying to make our team suck.

Using players out of position, not using our young pass rushers when we desperately needed a pass rush, using our young LB's to much in coverage along with DT's etc.

We need a simpler scheme this year that made sense for our players skillset and we needed our some of our younger guys more playing time when our vets weren't cutting it.

Maybe but there is no RB or TE.

If the Oline had held up, think the RBs would have been adequate- they ran for 4 YPC as it was. Pretty sure the plan was to have the Falcons outscore everybody the first half of the year and let the D gel over the season. Which obviously didn't happen.

Do think that a couple of pieces on both sides of the ball will make a world of difference next year. Couple of pass rushers on D will make everyone look better over there, a big RB and stud TE/OLine piece makes the offense much better.

Don't think those are unreasonable targets, does assume that some of the youngsters on D develop.

None of those things happened at the rate they happened here. Check out PFR.

Falcons had 5 pick6s, 26 other teams had 1 or 2.

Falcons allowed 5 TD on 4 minute drives, 14 teams allowed 2 or fewer.

Only 4 teams had more drives w/ opponent starting in the red zone. 10 teams allowed 0-1 TD in that situation, Falcons allowed 3.

Falcons were one of the few teams "leading" in all those categories.

And we still ranked 13th in giveaways offensively but last in total yards given. If anything, giving the opponent a short field to score hurts your ppg but helps your defensive yards/game, but we were dead last in yards.

And to say any possession at the end of half with time left on teh clock being worth 7 points is just ridiculous.

No, our defense really was that god awful. Football Outsiders are the best stat gurus in regards to football and their end of season stats clearly show Atlanta's defense was the very worst defense in the entire NFL:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/dvoa-ratings/2014/final-2014-dvoa-ratings

The defensive ranking column 3rd from the right is the column to see the defensive rankings 1 through 32. We came in at 32 by quite a margin, 2.1% lower than the 2nd worst defense, New Orleans.

Our offense was ranked 11th so that isn't where the problem obviously is. We need a defensive minded head coach, not some supposed offensive guru like McDaniels or Gise.

Edited by RoastBeeph

And we still ranked 13th in giveaways offensively but last in total yards given. If anything, giving the opponent a short field to score hurts your ppg but helps your defensive yards/game, but we were dead last in yards.

And to say any possession at the end of half with time left on teh clock being worth 7 points is just ridiculous.

And, if I had said that, it would be. I didn't , I said that the Falcons had allowed 5 TDs in those situations. Which is more than most teams did.

Also said it was an oversimplification, but the point holds- offense put the D in a hole a lot last year.

Also, did not say the D was GOOD last year, just not as bad as it seemed. You can argue the numbers all you want, defense would have looked much better with a better, more consistent offense.

If the Oline had held up, think the RBs would have been adequate- they ran for 4 YPC as it was. Pretty sure the plan was to have the Falcons outscore everybody the first half of the year and let the D gel over the season. Which obviously didn't happen.

Do think that a couple of pieces on both sides of the ball will make a world of difference next year. Couple of pass rushers on D will make everyone look better over there, a big RB and stud TE/OLine piece makes the offense much better.

Don't think those are unreasonable targets, does assume that some of the youngsters on D develop.

I don't think our RB's would start on 95% of the teams in this league.

If you're going to take things away to sugar coat it, you have to do the same for the other 31 teams.

Already answered this.

1. no, I don't, I'm making a point here, don't need to prove it's true for other teams, just this one. If I want to claim that the Falcons were top ten in points allowed minus the points the offense allowed, then yes, I would have to, but that's not what I'm doing.

I'm simply saying that the Falcons offense made the D look worse than it actually was. Which it did.

2. Falcons were worse at it than all the other teams- Falcons threw 5 pick6s, 26 other teams only threw 0,1 or 2. Same for the other situations I listed.

Sorry Idae but they were bad. I agree they got better in the second half of the season but they pretty much got handled all year. Couldn't stop the run. Couldn't rush the QB. Couldn't get off the field on third down. Couldn't tackle. Couldn't Play60. Many here say it was coaching and scheme. I still think it was talent and execution.

Our offense and defense both had the same problem: lack of identity. Who were we on defense? We didn't tackle well, pressure the QB, turn the ball over, or dominate in any level (line, LBs, or secondary). Nobody really needed to game plan for us because we didn't offer anything to worry about.

The same on offense. With an inconsisitent line, we couldn't beat a good team because we let Matt get hit and we couldn't run consistently, either off guard, tackle, or around the edges. There was a long stretch when Julio and Roddy were dropping balls like crazy and our tight ends offered nothing of note, so our passing game was okay but not great.

At least when we had Turner, we could count on a good running game to balance our passing, in spite of BVG's bend-but-don't-break D. Consider the teams in the playoffs right now and I guarantee you'll know immediately what each of them does well. Even the Panties, who ate our OL like popcorn at a Saturday morning matinee in week 17. Until this team establishes an identity (read: some dominant area of play), we'll be mediocre at best.

I agree, which is a complete 180 from my original thoughts on him. I was way off. Hard Knocks started the questions for me and this season sealed the deal.