Why The Falcons D Wasn't As Bad As It Seemed This Year And Why There's Hope For Next Year.

Yeah, I know, 32nd this, 27th that OMFG, you're an ...... Just hear me out.

Going to talk about Scoring D and how the offense and big plays skewed the numbers.

Falcons gave up 417 points.

However, lets look closer:

4 pick 6s, sigh...28 points

5 times opponents STARTED in the red zone..21 point

5 times, Falcon O left time on the clock end of half/game-35 points

That's 84 points as a direct result of the offense not doing it's job, if you judge the D on the points they allowed, they would have been top ten.

Then there's the indirect result of too many 3 and outs wearing out a D.

That's before the multiple breakdowns on D- lots of big plays like the 59 yard pass on 3rd and 25, the long pass in the CIN that Alford failed to knock down and on and on...

If the Oline had stayed healthy and the offense performed better, this D would have looked much better. If they'd played more fundamentally sound D, they look much better.

Yes, I know that's an oversimplification of the situation, but the offense's woes really hurt the D too.

Don't want to return to the 2010 offense designed for 10-12 play drives to keep our D off the field, but a better Oline and run game will make everything work better next year.

Then, put the players on the D in a simpler scheme that puts round pegs in round holes and assuming they get a couple of pass rushers and get some development from the youngsters, the D could look transformed next year. But, it wasn't as bad as it seemed this year.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This should not even be a thread. This one will not end pretty. Dude go back years. Remember Falcons getting boat run by Green Bay in 2011 play-off game, how about Falcons being up by 21 points against Seattle and San Fran in play-offs only to have both teams come back and take the lead. The Falcons have no defense, have not had one for a long time, and will not be anything until they get one. Period. End of discussion. And this involves THE TALENT ON THE FIELD. Bringing in a defensive minded coach is not going to make Worrilow a UNDRAFTED player run any faster and be able to cover RBs out of the back field. It is not going to make Umeinora 10 years younger. It is not going to make Soliai any better than a NFL back-up. It is not going to make Sean Weatherspoon any more durable. TALENT. The Falcons have Moore and Trufant on defense and that is IT. All goes back to FRONT OFFICE. How many defensive coordinators have the Falcons fired in the last 7 years? 4 or 5? TALENT not coaching. Hiring a new coach will not change anything if you don't have the TALENT on the field.

This is a nice thought, but you'd need to calculate the points allowed with the same criteria for the other 31 teams before you can rank the falcons.

Naaah, would if I was making a formal argument, but I'm not, I'm making a point- Falcon's offense left the D in a hole way too many times this year. Think 84 points directly attributable to the offense makes that point just fine.

Actually, it's 91 points, Yates threw a pick 6 as well.

Willing to bet that the D would bump up 10-15 spots in points allowed. If you want to do the work, PFR is a wonderful resource.

I looked at 3 different stats- pick 6s, drives started in red zone, and drives started w/ 4 minutes or less in a half-Falcons are the "leaders" in TDs in all those categories- no other team is, so, without crunching all the numbers, can reasonably expect the Falcons would have been at least 15.

I agree, too many on the board seem to think the offense was fine, and that Rex Ryan will just magically come in and snap his fingers and give us a top 5 defense.

We had serious lapses in the offense that need to be addressed. My concern is hiring someone like Ryan will neglect those issues, or worse, cause the Offense to regress.

This should not even be a thread. This one will not end pretty. Dude go back years. Remember Falcons getting boat run by Green Bay in 2011 play-off game, how about Falcons being up by 21 points against Seattle and San Fran in play-offs only to have both teams come back and take the lead. The Falcons have no defense, have not had one for a long time, and will not be anything until they get one. Period. End of discussion. And this involves THE TALENT ON THE FIELD. Bringing in a defensive minded coach is not going to make Worrilow a UNDRAFTED player run any faster and be able to cover RBs out of the back field. It is not going to make Umeinora 10 years younger. It is not going to make Soliai any better than a NFL back-up. It is not going to make Sean Weatherspoon any more durable. TALENT. The Falcons have Moore and Trufant on defense and that is IT. All goes back to FRONT OFFICE. How many defensive coordinators have the Falcons fired in the last 7 years? 4 or 5? TALENT not coaching. Hiring a new coach will not change anything if you don't have the TALENT on the field.

Why are you talking as if we are not participating in FA and the draft? Worrilow may be replaced by David Harris or a stud MLB. Besides that fact there is talent on that side of the ball. I've said it once and I'll say it again you are gonna get bad results when you force square pegs into circles. We learned that in kindergarten but that's what our coaches did this season. Put your best players on the field and put them in position to make plays by playing them to their strengths. We still don't know what talent we have on the defense besides the obvious because it was not used right.

I agree, too many on the board seem to think the offense was fine, and that Rex Ryan will just magically come in and snap his fingers and give us a top 5 defense.

We had serious lapses in the offense that need to be addressed. My concern is hiring someone like Ryan will neglect those issues, or worse, cause the Offense to regress.

I think a lot of those lapses involved uninspiring game plans and being simply out couched and putting Matt in situations where he was forcing and that lead to a lot of his turnovers. They just did not look excited in many of those games. They looked like they were on autopilot when normally you see roddy almost as emotional as Dez Bryant on Sundays. I think they just weren't feeling the vertical much this season. I know Rex likes a balanced attack and if Matt can get back to that and kill playaction we will be ok. He actually hinted as much on ESPN yesterday.

Have to have a strong coordinator for whichever side of the ball the HC doesn't specialize in.

The OP is on to something. Our offense could not run the ball.

This led to teams teeing off on Matt Ryan. We ran up some passing

numbers but did not play winning football on offense.

Zero points against Detroit in second half with the whole world watching.

-11 points against Panthers with our backs to the wall and playoffs at stake.

I do not think the players we have are as bad as our defense performed this year.

Nolan was literally smoking crack most of the year and was not using our players to the best of their abilities and not putting them in position to succeed.

We have some young pass rushers who rode the bench for stupid reasons when pass rushing was our biggest issue. That is due to Nolan being a moron this year. Also paying Tyson and Paul S out of position most of the year was equally stupid.

This year's defense was Nolan's fault for being an idiot and Smith's fault for letting Nolan be an idiot. It pains me to say cause I was a big Nolan fan even before we hired him but he showed this year he has lost his mind.

Our defense was basically pathetic and then it got thrown under the bus by our offense and stabbed in the back by our DC, who refused to provide a scheme that made any sense at all, then they were screwed by their HC, who whether by design or stupidity, refused to put the best defensive players into the games for any meaningful length of time. The result was a defensive clusterflock of epic proportions.

But I agree with your premise ~ had they not been further damaged from all sides of the football team including the coaching staff ~ they wouldn't have been at the very bottom of the league in most of the bigger categories. They would still have been solidly entrenched in the bottom third of the league, but they wouldn't have sucked at quite the Black Hole magnitude as they did.

Having said that, I expect the new regime will clean out the dead wood on our D, beef up the pass rush, get the LB's upgraded and have this defense playing no worse than 15th in the NFL in all the major stat categories next season.