Article: Four Best Candidates

Ask most players and front office personnel around the NFL, and theyll say quarterback is the most important position in the league and the toughest to fill. The second-hardest? Head coach.

Thanks to seventh-year Pro Bowl quarterback Matt Ryan, the Atlanta Falcons have a leg up on many of the teams around the league looking for their next head coach. Ryan threw for more than 4,000 yards for the fourth straight season and tossed 28 touchdowns, and the Falcons nearly won the NFC South and a postseason spot despite a losing 6-10 record.

Possessing Ryan makes the Falcons vacancy that much more attractive to prospective head coaches. Teams like Buffalo and the New York Jets have been searching for a consistent quarterback for the better part of a decade, and now they too are seeking new head coaches.

With Ryan and a dynamic receiving corps of Julio Jones and Roddy White already in place, the next Falcons head coach could instead focus theyre attention on one of the poorest defensive squads in the NFL. The Falcons ranked No. 32 against the pass, No. 21 against the run, and were last in the NFL in total defense, allowing 398.3 yards per game.

And thats why several of the candidates linked to the Falcons have had tremendous success as defensive coordinators in the NFL. According to ESPN, the Falcons requested permission to speak with the four coaches below.

Adam Gase, Denver Broncos

The Falcons reportedly met with the Broncos offensive coordinator on Friday. He represents a coach who could make Ryan even better, judging by his considerable effort to help Peyton Manning return to top form after missing an entire season due to a career-threatening neck injury.

Like the other coordinators on this list, Gase hasnt been a head coach at the NFL level but his experience of molding an offense into championship form is well documented. However, the Falcons may have to fend of San Franciscos interest in Gase.

Todd Bowles, Arizona Cardinals

A former safety in the NFL, Bowles could step in and turn around the Falcons D just like he did the Cardinals. The 51-year-old joined Arizona in 2013 after the team ranked 17th in points allowed and 12th in total yards. In one year, Bowles retooled and the Cardinals were ranked in the top 10 in both categories. This season, the Cardinals were once again one of the top defensive units in the league, ranking fifth in points allowed per game.

Similar to Gase, another Bay Area team is interested in Bowles. The Oakland Raiders have reportedly lined up an interview with Bowles after Arizona was eliminated from the postseason.

Teryl Austin, Detroit Lions

Detroits Austin is another coordinator who wasnt available for interviews right away because he was preparing his defense for Wild Card Weekend against Dallas. And like Bowles, Austin completely revamped the Lions defense in less than a season.

Previously the secondary coach for Baltimore for three seasons, Austin helped turn the Lions defense into the No. 2 ranked squad in the league. If his squad can bump off the high-scoring Cowboys, Austin could see his demand shoot way up.

The Falcons may have to act fast, with the 49ers and Bills also reportedly expressing interest.

Dan Quinn, Seattle Seahawks

The Seahawks defensive coordinator for the last two seasons, Quinn arguably has the easiest case to make to the Falcons. Hes already won a Super Bowl with one of the best defenses in league history and could repeat this season.

Since Seattle earned a first-round bye, Quinn was available to speak right away and already met with Atlanta and the New York Jets, according to CBS Sports Jason La Canfora.

http://m.ibtimes.com/atlanta-falcons-head-coach-search-4-best-candidates-replace-mike-smith-1773008

The following questions need to be asked in interview:

To McDaniel: Why do you think you weren't more successful at Denver?

To Bowles: In 2012 why do you think the Philadelphia Eagles didn't match Arizona's offer and keep you as their defensive coordinator?

To Quinn: Why do you have so many jobs in the last 7 years?

To Austin: Why do you think Arizona? And the other three employers previous to Detroit never promoted you above Secondary coach? Do you think you could do as good a job in Atlanta without Suh and Fairley on your d-line?

To Rex: What do you think caused you to fall out of favor in New York? if the GM was at fault why did they not fire him and keep you? What is your explanation of this?

To Gase: You have been a assistant for almost 15 years now, why do you think no one until now has offered you a head coaching position?

Difficult questions that need to be asked.

The following questions need to be asked in interview:To McDaniel: Why do you think you weren't more successful at Denver? To Bowles: In 2012 why do you think the Philadelphia Eagles didn't match Arizona's offer and keep you as their defensive coordinator? To Quinn: Why do you have so many jobs in the last 7 years? To Austin: Why do you think Arizona? And the other three employers previous to Detroit never promoted you above Secondary coach? Do you think you could do as good a job in Atlanta without Suh and Fairley on your d-line? To Rex: What do you think caused you to fall out of favor in New York? if the GM was at fault why did they not fire him and keep you? What is your explanation of this? To Gase: You have been a assistant for almost 15 years now, why do you think no one until now has offered you a head coaching position? Difficult questions that need to be asked.

While I agree that the past can be used as a benchmark to judge someone's ability. I think these types of questions may not be as telling to what the Franchise needs. If it were I doing the interviews, I would focus more on the future. Such as... "If you're hired by this team, who is your first FA acquisition and who's the first round pick? and why?"... Reason I ask this is any candidate worth hiring would have at least one player for each other these in mind from the get go on how to help this franchise.

While I agree that the past can be used as a benchmark to judge someone's ability. I think these types of questions may not be as telling to what the Franchise needs. If it were I doing the interviews, I would focus more on the future. Such as... "If you're hired by this team, who is your first FA acquisition and who's the first round pick? and why?"... Reason I ask this is any candidate worth hiring would have at least one player for each other these in mind from the get go on how to help this franchise.

Why would we ask questions about free agency and the draft to a head coach candidate? You really think there in tune with what players are going to be free agents this year and which players are coming out in the draft? I think the questions will be more along the lines "What is your philosophy on building a SuperBowl winning team?" and "What is your opinion on our players, and where do you believe our strengths and weaknesses are on each side of the ball? And how do you believe we fix them?"

Edited by FalconsInCanada

LOL Gase

Like the other coordinators on this list, Gase hasnt been a head coach at the NFL level but his experience of molding an offense into championship form is well documented

2 years is considered "well documented?" Hahahaha

Edited by 𝓜èφhì§τö

Why would we ask questions about free agency and the draft to a head coach candidate? You really think there in tune with what players are going to be free agents this year and which players are coming out in the draft? I think the questions will be more along the lines "What is your philosophy on building a SuperBowl winning team?" and "What is your opinion on our players, and where do you believe our strengths and weaknesses are on each side of the ball? And how do you believe we fix them?"

I know this may sound a bit crazy but think about every interview you had. You have a resume and you have your personality going in. For me when interviewing/being interviewed.. I want to know what they know... If a man comes into an interview with me and has absolutely no idea how to fix the team or direction he's going for a job, then he isn't the right hire. Anyone serious about a job as HC with the Falcons has already done his due diligence before the interview process. If I want that job, I'll be prepared and have semblance of a game plan before I walk through those doors. I'll know what's the weakness and strengths of this team and I'll have my top picks for each category I mentioned. This line of questioning opens up a bunch of questions. Despite popular belief the best interviews are the ones where the interviewer says very little.

To Quinn: Why do you have so many jobs in the last 7 years?

Why do you keep posting this lie?

I showed you the facts in an earlier post today.

3 teams in 7 years and the best one brought him back for a coordinator job.

No Rex in the top 4? TATF about to have a meltdown.

Maybe this will help with your reading comprehension

the Falcons requested permission to speak with the four coaches below

You see when that is typed that means the names below had to be given permission!!

I hope this helps....

I think it's very important for the front office to know who the OC and DC will be for each coach. The OC and DC will most likely be one of the biggest things in the FO's decision. I read that Quinn wants Koetter and I wonder if that will help or hurt him with Blank.

Most of the candidates have never been a head coach. Will any of them be calling their own plays as well as being HC? It has to be difficult for a guy who has never been a HC to call the plays and learn how to be a HC at the same time. Rex Ryan did it, but he had been a DC for a long time.

Most of the guys we are looking at are being looked at because they are so good at calling plays as an OC or DC so they will either have to call the plays or find an assistant who thinks like them and will call plays like him.

This will be a very difficult decision for Blank.