Ajc: "more Falcons Fun: Gm Dimitroff Might Not Be Safe After All

http://markbradley.blog.ajc.com/2015/01/05/more-falcons-fun-gm-dimitroff-might-not-be-safe-after-all/

More Falcons fun: GM Dimitroff might not be safe after all
January 5, 2015

| Filed in: Atlanta Falcons / NFL.

falcons-smith-fired-f_brad.jpg?w=640

According to Ian Rapoport of NFL.com, the Atlanta Falcons might be in the market for a new general manager after all. This time a week ago, GM Thomas Dimitroff appeared and spoke at the press conference announcing coach Mike Smith’s firing. But the new coach, Rapoport reports, could wind up being the reason Dimitroff gets fired, too.

This doesn’t make much sense. An incumbent GM is usually the point man in hiring a new coach, and I’m assured that Dimitroff will have a role in this search. How big a role? Nobody knows. (At least nobody on the outside.)

It’s believed owner Arthur Blank will make the final decision, with much input from president Rich McKay. But the search firm Korn Ferry — this from Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk — “is advising teams who have fired their coaches to take a wait-and-see approach with the GM until the new coach is hired.” To which we say: Huh?

You’re giving a guy you’ve barely met the power to pick his own GM? After employing Dimitroff for seven years, the Falcons can’t tell on their own whether he’s worth keeping?

If that’s indeed the case, wouldn’t the GM surely lobby for a coach he knew would be an ally? As if on cue, Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports reported that Dimitroff and assistant GM Scott Pioli are pushing for Josh McDaniels, the New England offensive coordinator alongside whom both worked with the Patriots. (Wait a minute. So Scott Pioli has a say, too?)

Before everyone’s head explodes, let’s note that the Blank/McKay pairing hired Jim Mora, who lasted three seasons, and Bobby Petrino, who left for Arkansas after 13 games. So maybe it’s not such a surprise that any search involving the Falcons would get convoluted.

And lest we forget, this is the same franchise — albeit under different ownership — that once spent a month trying to find a new coach after it fired Dan Henning and wound up promoting his defensive coordinator. Who just happened to be Marion Campbell, the man the Falcons themselves had once fired as head coach.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

here is what I don't understand. If Dimitroff's job is not safe - and it seems like it is not - why is Arthur not bringing in an "outside football consultant" to lead the search for head coach and GM? Wasn't this what "Joe Banner" was for?

I remember in 2008, seems like we used retired NY Giants GM - Ernie Accorsi - to help lead the way.

To allow Dimitroff/Pioli to pollute the process trying to save their own skin - that is a TERRIBLE, just HORRIBLE way to go about this. The Falcons need THE BEST head coach money can buy.

The Falcons DO NOT NEED the head coach that will be satisfied with Dimitroff/Pioli. If Dimitroff can deliver BELICHECK to the Falcons, then I would consider keeping him - anything short of that, and Dimitroff/Pioli needs to go.

here is what I don't understand. If Dimitroff's job is not safe - and it seems like it is not - why is Arthur not bringing in an "outside football consultant" to lead the search for head coach and GM? Wasn't this what "Joe Banner" was for?

I remember in 2008, seems like we used retired NY Giants GM - Ernie Accorsi - to help lead the way.

To allow Dimitroff/Pioli to pollute the process trying to save their own skin - that is a TERRIBLE, just HORRIBLE way to go about this. The Falcons need THE BEST head coach money can buy.

The Falcons DO NOT NEED the head coach that will be satisfied with Dimitroff/Pioli. If Dimitroff can deliver BELICHECK to the Falcons, then I would consider keeping him - anything short of that, and Dimitroff/Pioli needs to go

If this happens, it will do nothing other than prove that as long as artie is the owner, the only superbowls the Falcons will see will be from their seats

This is why Blank need to fire Korn Ferry. They are doing everything azz backwards. Blank needs to fire his 4 failed GMs that are giving him BS poor advice. TD, McKay, Pioli, and Banner. All failed NFL execs. Then Blank needs to hire the coach, someone he likes and then the COACH needs to hire the GM. What kind of coach is going to come to work here where he doesn't get to pick his own GM.

If this happens, it will do nothing other than prove that as long as artie is the owner, the only superbowls the Falcons will see will be from their seats

I don't really get this whole "Korn Ferry" aspect of it as well. "Korn Ferry advises Blank to retain the GM until the coach is hired". - Huh?

Why Korn Ferry? Why not a Ron Wolf or a Jimmy Johnson or someone like that advising Arthur? Korn Ferry is a glorified head hunter that knows "jack" and "squat" when it comes to football.

With Korn Ferry Blank is getting back to making the mistake of trying to run a NFL franchise like a Fortune 500 company. Does'nt work that way. Got office politics going on by keeping his 4 failed NFL execs working for him. McKay, TD, Pioli, and Banner need to be let go. ANY coach that comes here wants to be able to hire their own GM. Korn Ferry is wasting Blank's time.

This guy is trying to hire a complete doosh to be the HC, and this after jobs started falling on the line. I'm believing less and less about all of this "TD was not the problem" every day. If he stays you all with get a doosh of a HC in Joshie (you all because I'm handing in my fan card until this guy is gone) the same ole drafts and on top of those more than likely a head scratcher season.

The Falcons DO NOT NEED the head coach that will be satisfied with Dimitroff/Pioli. If Dimitroff can deliver BELICHECK to the Falcons, then I would consider keeping him - anything short of that, and Dimitroff/Pioli needs to go.

Joe Banner was for stadium consulting not Football operations.

Pioli isn't in on the interviews, Apparently it's Blank, Dimitroff and McKay.

Bet your bottom dollar that Blank will be making the call, not Dimitroff.

I think the media is largely speculating on anything outside of the above...

And this is why there is a search firm and Joe Banner.

Also in 2008 McKay was still here and also had input to the process of a new GM. I'm not sure how much but he did have input.

Maybe Blank and the search firm don't think its a good idea to disrupt the scouting side of things until you absolutely have to.

Let's be honest. A new GM could mean changes to the scouting system, grading system, and a bunch of other things I can't think of.

Why put that into chaos until you absolutely need to? Just because we're changing things doesn't mean the rest of the football world has stopped.

The TD/Pioli team had a pretty solid draft imo. I was much happier with it than I have been in the past with just TD. I am indifferent in regards to them staying or leaving at this point. But... I do not want McDaniels here. And... if TD is lobbying for him, that should be enough for Blank to say... "Okay.. enough of the dumb Sh!t, pack your bags Thomas, you're done"

Joe Banner was for stadium consulting not Football operations.

Pioli isn't in on the interviews, Apparently it's Blank, Dimitroff and McKay.

Bet your bottom dollar that Blank will be making the call, not Dimitroff.

I think the media is largely speculating on anything outside of the above...

Yea at the end of the day I think this is all horse **** smoke screening by Korn Ferry....

Bottom line is if the new HC wants their own GM - TD is gone - if they are ok with TD, they keep him. This should absolve the "No good GMs left issue" because if that is the case when we pull the trigger on a coach then the HC will just roll with TD.

HELLO!!! WAKE UP CALL! No coach will come to Atlanta with McKay, TD, Pioli, and Banner. They are going to want to hire their OWN GM. Falcons are hiring azz backwards. No Korn Ferry. Especially no McKay- (Should have been fired after Petrino, all he is is ambulance chaser attorney who never played football. Only reason he is in NFL is because of his dad). No TD- Very underqualified GM hired by bozo McKay. Blank needs to be only one in interview. Needs to make his own decision and quit relying on people that DO NOT KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING!