A Few Reasons Dirk Wasn't A Good Oc

- Some bonehead calls like taking a shot on 3rd down against the Browns instead of trying to kill the clock with a run

- When Antone earned more touches, the more touches were just running him up the middle....how does that make any sense whatsoever...the guy is pure outside speed and Dirk failed to integrate him in that way when he had earned more touches

- Fade routes to HD. We did this a few too many times when that should only be reserved for the bigger guys

- Failing to use the tallest offensive player in the NFL when he should have. I know Toilolo has questionable hands, but when you're 6'8" you'll grab the ball at a higher point that anyone. Toilolo should've had a lot more opportunities close to the endzone. The Cardinals game is the only time we ever used his height for the tall touchdown

- Seeming to not have the QB sneak in the playbook...why not

- Stretch plays to Steven Jackson, I don't think this worked even once

- What seemed to be routetrees that never got receivers open. It always felt like the receiver was covered on every catch. Watching other games you constantly see times where the receiver just breaks really open on the field, and that was few and far between with our receivers. And we know a couple have the speed to get open

Dirk failed to use the role players on offense well and it's definitely time to move onto a coordinator that can at least the see obvious, like Antone's open field speed and Toilolo's height

- What seemed to be routetrees that never got receivers open. It always felt like the receiver was covered on every catch. Watching other games you constantly see times where the receiver just breaks really open on the field, and that was few and far between with our receivers. And we know a couple have the speed to get open

I'm 1000% on board with most of your assessment on why Dirk should be gone. But this one here, I think has been a problem longer than Dirk. Our receivers have been pisspoor at getting separation for a while. It's partly route trees as you say, but I also think its bad position coaching.

I'm 1000% on board with most of your assessment on why Dirk should be gone. But this one here, I think has been a problem longer than Dirk. Our receivers have been pisspoor at getting separation for a while. It's partly route trees as you say, but I also think its bad position coaching.

Much like people accuse Dimitroff of living off the 08 offseason for the past 6 years, Robiskie has lived off his role in turning Roddy's career around for even longer.

I wish they would outlaw the fade pass.

Why? It's a great play if it's executed well. We just don't execute it well. A lot of that has to do with who we target. Douglas is too short and has **** body control. Hester can't catch. I'm pretty sure we have even thrown one to Quizz a time or two. Never to Julio or Toilet though. You know, the tall guys.

- Some bonehead calls like taking a shot on 3rd down against the Browns instead of trying to kill the clock with a run

- When Antone earned more touches, the more touches were just running him up the middle....how does that make any sense whatsoever...the guy is pure outside speed and Dirk failed to integrate him in that way when he had earned more touches

- Fade routes to HD. We did this a few too many times when that should only be reserved for the bigger guys

- Failing to use the tallest offensive player in the NFL when he should have. I know Toilolo has questionable hands, but when you're 6'8" you'll grab the ball at a higher point that anyone. Toilolo should've had a lot more opportunities close to the endzone. The Cardinals game is the only time we ever used his height for the tall touchdown

Dirk failed to use the role players on offense well and it's definitely time to move onto a coordinator that can at least the see obvious, like Antone's open field speed and Toilolo's height

I agree with all of this. DK had no plays that could net you 2 yards when all you needed was 2 yards. He often had Quiz in on short yardage plays, when Jackson might have been the better choice. We never once saw a QB sneak on short yardage plays. The bubble screen was over used. Antone Smith could have been utilized in so many other ways. DK was always looking to make a dynamic plays with the bubble screen and reverses, when swing passes or timing routes would have worked better IMO.

Edited by 4dabirds

Some of these issues were caused by personnel decisions. I realize this will rustle some jimmies, but we don't have an every down runningback on the roster. Even if we did, our offensive line can't run block.

Poor roster evaluations combined with bad free agent scouting and bad draft strategies lead to the deterioration of our line which lead to more screen passes, 3 yard routes, and a poor ground game. That blame goes around the organization.

I don't think I ever want to see Ryan sneak again. He sucks at it. He definitely aint no Tom Brady.

You left off my biggest Kutty komplaint:

Pass happier than June Jones on steroids, meth and 5 hour energy drink.

Run blocking was either poorly designed

or executed. We seemed to only get 2 or 3

Yards regardless of who was running the ball.

I dare say if we ran the ball 4 times we would

not get 10 yards the majority of the time.

Running effectively was not a point of emphasis

with Dirk it appeared.

I don't think I ever want to see Ryan sneak again. He sucks at it. He definitely aint no Tom Brady.

You left off my biggest Kutty komplaint:

Pass happier than June Jones on steroids, meth and 5 hour energy drink.

Ryan was top fivein qb sneaks from 08 to 10. Since then he has been horrible. OL more than anything.

The worse part is not being able to block good pass rushers. Staying in 4 wide makes pass protection really bad and it is hard to keep all five ol healthy all season. Go back to 2 te sets or find a good fb and see how much we improve in pass protection.

Run blocking was either poorly designed

or executed. We seemed to only get 2 or 3

Yards regardless of who was running the ball.

I dare say if we ran the ball 4 times we would

not get 10 yards the majority of the time.

Running effectively was not a point of emphasis

with Dirk it appeared.

I don't think we have running backs you can depend on play after play. No RB really jumps out on the roster. Factor in mediocre blocking and you have to use your best option in Ryan and throw the ball...