I Want A Slightly Evil Head Coah

MSalmon

As I watched the Ravens, and the panties demolish their opponents , I thought to myself what makes a good head coach? Particularly in the postseason. Is it the following:

1) civic duties?

2) competivess?

3) organizational skills?

4) creativeness?

5) general-like leadership skills?

6) good sportsmanship?

Certainally these are some traits. But what really differentiates the truly great coaches? Now I'm not ready to anoint Ron Rivera as a great coach, but Harbaugh certainly merits consideration as he's won a SB and had sustained success. But look at the consistently great HCs in the past years and you see common traits:

1) hyper competiveness...almost to the point of cheating

2) if not break the rules outright,push the limits of what's legal

3) bully-like traits..kick when down and kick once more for good measure

4) propensity to perpetuate violence

5) no problem using thugs vs model citizens on field --particularly on defense

6) penalties are good if they inspire fear

7) just winning ain't good enough--you must dominate

Think I'm kidding? Consider these guys:

1) Lombardi --straight aswhole..even the packers hated him

2) madden--one word "raid-ahs "

3) chuck knoll--violent teams

4) jimmy Johnson, more coke than than the Columbia in locker room

5) bill parcels--loved violence

7) bill belichik--video cameras, you name it

8) Sean Payton--bounty gate anyone?

9) bill Walsh--don't get confused by the WCO, he had heat seeking missiles and nasty guys on defense

That's just a few...but what you see in the above list, and what you've seem from Rivera and harbaugh is a willingness to hit a QB in the mouth and smack a player for no reason to make him fear you.lest you forget Belichik won his first Super Bowl by mugging Faulk..

In short, these coaches understood he who shows more violence wins in a violent game. if up by 20 points they went for 2 on the next play...nasty guys

Who are we interviewing that fits that mold of coach?

All those coaches you named coached in the past when the rules were different, none would be successful in today's NFL. BB and SP haven't won anything since they got caught cheating. Tom Coughlin won 2 SB this decade and he doesn't fit your assessment of successful coaches.

Bs...coughin's defense was nasty ...knocked the pisss out of brady..often illegally...

All those coaches you named coached in the past when the rules were different, none would be successful in today's NFL. BB and SP haven't won anything since they got caught cheating. Tom Coughlin won 2 SB this decade and he doesn't fit your assessment of successful coaches.

Pete Carroll fields a nasty violent team and mugs receivers

Narrone. There's an article in ProfootballTalk about him. If the site wasn't acting screwy i'd post the link. But it basically painted him as a control freak, who'd even go as far as what videos were posted on the team site.

Sounded like a real douch.

I read that...he sounds more micro manager than warrior leader to me

Something to ponder...

Is it perception or reality? Meaning, just because a team has the toughest and most talented players in the league--football is a violent sport, remember--do we just assume the HC is a villain, working on the edge as well as his players?

Not sure...

Think of Super Bowl HC's like:

• Bud Grant
  • Marv Levi
  • Tom Landry
  • Joe Gibbs
  • **** Vermeil
  • Lovie Smith
  • Tony Dungy

Or College HC's like:

• Tom Osborne
  • Vince Dooley
  • Mack Brown
  • Bobby Bowden
  • Gene Stallings
  • Joe Paterno

A common denominator with all of the above highly successful NFL and College HC's is their very open profession of faith.

Again, whether it's the next devil or angel coaching your team, is it about him or the players he recruits or drafts and leads?

Me? I lean toward the higher character men because that's what I strive to be thus I'm influenced by this. Plus I believe they are more sustainable.

But, I'm open minded....cool.png