A Case For Josh Mcdaniels

Mr.11

josh-mcdaniels.jpg?w=620&h=349&crop=1

I know Josh McDaniels is not a popular figure around these parts, so I asked for a coworker's opinion (not a Falcons' fan) of Josh McDaniels, and he said he'd be a great fit for this team. I was interested in his viewpoint, and I decided to do some further investigation about McDaniels.

The first thing that stood out to me is that he's young (I guess very young by coaching standards) at just 38, which means when he was the HC of the Denver Broncos he must have only been around 33-35 years old. I know his reputation was damaged in his tenure with Denver, but I think he can be given a pass considering how young he was.

Wikipedia

New England Patriots

McDaniels joined the Patriots in 2001 as a personnel assistant. From 2002 to 2003, he served as a defensive coaching assistant for the team, working with the defensive backs in 2003. In 2004, he became the team's quarterbacks coach. McDaniels was with the New England Patriots for all three of their Super Bowl championships, Super Bowl XXXVI, Super Bowl XXXVIII, and Super Bowl XXXIX. After offensive coordinator Charlie Weis left the team following the 2004 season, the Patriots did not name an offensive coordinator for the 2005 season. According to The New York Times, in 2008, it was McDaniels who called the offensive plays for the 2005 season, although suggestions to that effect were made in 2005.[2][4] After the season, McDaniels was officially promoted to offensive coordinator, while retaining his responsibilities coaching the team's quarterbacks.

In the 2007 season, with McDaniels at the helm of the offense, the Patriots set NFL records, scoring 75 touchdowns (67 on offense, 50 passing and 17 rushing) and 589 points, leading to rumors that McDaniels might leave the Patriots for a head coaching job.[5] McDaniels withdrew his name from consideration, however, during the Patriots' January 2008 playoff run. Shortly after the Patriots' loss in Super Bowl XLII, Patriots head coach Bill Belichick gave McDaniels a five-page typed report on what it takes to be an effective head coach and run a winning organization, which McDaniels termed "his bible." Throughout the 2008 season, the two would meet to discuss the report and allow McDaniels to ask non-coaching questions that he brought to later head coaching interviews.[6]

Starting quarterback Tom Brady suffered a season-ending injury in Week 1 of the 2008 season. McDaniels directed the Matt Cassel-led Patriots' offense as the team finished the season with an 11-5 record.

So McDaniels has coaching experience on both sides of the football.

On the offensive side, his offenses have led the league in scoring at least twice (2007 and 2014).

Wikipedia

Videotaping scandal

On November 27, in an incident reminiscient of the New England Patriots' videotaping controversy of 2007, The Denver Post reported the Broncos were under investigation from the NFL, after it was reported that Steve Scarnecchia, the team's director of video operations hired by McDaniels in 2009, videotaped a San Francisco 49ers' walkthrough practice, during the teams' Week 8 game at Wembley Stadium in London, England.[11]

The same day, the NFL fined the Broncos and McDaniels $50,000 each, and Scarnecchia was fired as a result of the incident. Scarnecchia told NFL investigators he acted alone and "knew it was wrong" to tape the walkthrough practice, after the rest of the Broncos' staff had left the stadium. Scarnecchia later presented McDaniels with the six-minute video, but McDaniels declined to view it, and it was not shown to any other Broncos staff member, and therefore the NFL determined the Broncos had not gained a competitive advantage from it. An anonymous source alerted the Broncos on November 8, who conducted an internal investigation before alerting the NFL. NFL Security then began its investigation, which included a forensic analysis of the computer from which the recording was later deleted by Scarnecchia.[12] Both the NFL and the Broncos determined that McDaniels knew nothing about the incident.[13]

However, the NFL fined McDaniels due to the fact that he did not immediately report the incident to the league office, as required by policy. The NFL also fined the Broncos, as "clubs are ultimately accountable for the conduct of their employees."[12]

McDaniels later issued the following statement:[14]

"I apologize for not promptly reporting the improper conduct of our video director before our game against the 49ers in London. The actions of this individual are in no way representative of the values and integrity held by myself, our players and coaches, and the entire Denver Broncos organization. I understand the punishment from the National Football League and support its commitment to the integrity of the game. We have addressed the situation internally to assure that nothing like this happens again."

According to The Denver Post, the videotaping incident was a major factor in McDaniels' firing a week later; while the Broncos did not deem it something that merited being fired for cause, they considered his failure to report the incident "unforgivable."[13]

The lowlight of his career, but apparently not something he sanctioned. Anyway, this happened years ago and I think he would have learned from this incident by now.

From what I've seen, there are a lot of positives with McDaniels. Many here castigate him for selecting Tim Tebow in the first round, but I look at that as taking a chance on a guy who, even if nothing else, had a very high work ethic and was willing to be coached. He's obviously a guy that wants his players to succeed and try to put them in the best possible position to do that. I don't think his offenses would be so consistently successful if this wasn't so.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tim Tebow does have just as many playoff wins as Matt Ryan...but seriously, I think he came off as too arrogant and immature when he was in Denver and the whole scandal. Plus I think people put him in the same boat as Gase and assume he makes a living off working with a great QB. Though he has done more with less(Tebow, Cassel) and Gase has done nothing without Peyton. He will always get looks I mean if Mangini and Tom Cable got looks this year than anyone has a shot as far as I'm concerned.

If we get an offensive coach I will hate to watch our D for the next 3 years.

The D can be fixed through FA and the draft. It doesn't necessarily take a defensive minded HC to do so. I don't understand why so many of you are stuck on that point. Need I remind you that the recently departed HC was a so called "defensive mind" How'd that work out?

The D can be fixed through FA and the draft. It doesn't necessarily take a defensive minded HC to do so. I don't understand why so many of you are stuck on that point. Need I remind you that the recently departed HC was a so called "defensive mind" How'd that work out?

Smitty isn't on the same level as a defensive mind coach like Rex Ryan or Todd Bowles

That was bizarre. I did not trust he would field a good defense though.

Smitty isn't on the same level as a defensive mind coach like Rex Ryan or Todd Bowles

While I'm still of the opinion that an offensive minded HC is the way to go, if we do go defense, then Bowles would be a great choice. Have no problem with him or any other defensive coach not named Rex Ryan. We have no idea whether Bowles and the other DC's being interviewed are head coaching material and we have to find out. WE already know for FACT that Rex Ryan is not HC material.

While I'm still of the opinion that an offensive minded HC is the way to go, if we do go defense, then Bowles would be a great choice. Have no problem with him or any other defensive coach not named Rex Ryan. We have no idea whether Bowles and the other DC's being interviewed are head coaching material and we have to find out. WE already know for FACT that Rex Ryan is not HC material.

like I said Smitty isn't in their league as a defensive coach.