Regardless Of Needs Do We Have To Draft Cooper If He Falls To 8?

Ahh I knew you'd chime in my friend

That is a rare exception, it's an anomaly, not the rule. I'm not gonna bother to look up the exact numbers but I'd venture to guess those receivers didn't spend all year on the injury report and miss valuable practice time or even games

Yes, I said practice. Games are won and lost in practice. We've seen Ryan and Julio's chemistry way off at times. Why? Lack of practice

Doesn't matter if it's an anomaly, that's not the point. The point is you can win in a lot of ways. JJ doesn't spend all year injured either, but you'll never admit that. every receiver, including those on the colts, miss large amounts of games at least one year in their careers.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Freshman Amari Cooper burst onto the scene with 999 yds @17 yds a pop for 11 tds. He sucked mightily as sophomore with 736 yds @ still impressive 16 yds a pop but only 4 tds and in 12 games. He follows that with 124 rec, 1727 yds, 13.9 yds a catch and 16 tds and sophomore slump is forgotten. Much of his yardage and scores comes on well blocked WR screens. He does haul in some long passes taking it to the house, but he is not a speed merchant or a deep threat. At 6-1, 202, 4.48 until combine says otherwise he is avg by nfl standards. Parker lists as 6-2, 208, 4.49 until combine says otherwise. Sounds exactly the same, right? He may be closer to 6-3, 211, speed? come combine. Parker went from 6 tds on 18 catches 291 yds 16 YPC as freshman, to 744 yds 10 tds 18 YPC, to 885 yds 16 YPC, 12 tds, but in sr yr 855 yds, 5 tds, 19.88 YPC albeit in only 6 games. He avged 12 games per yr his first 3 yrs so I don't worry about health. I do wonder what happened to Amari with a Sr QB who nearly matched his jr stats despite Coopers drop off. Parker got better every year even the yr he was out injured. If he played 14 games like Amari instead of 6 his yards perhaps eclipses 1800, 12 tds or more, and with less catches so far better YPC probably atleast career avg 17 or better. I never once looked at either of their stats to come to my conlusion. I just watched them play and saw the outcome they have on their games. Amari didn't even break 76 yds much less 100 in the first 10 games of his sophomore year as he only avged not even 44 yds a game. Where the h___ are you at for ten games?

Guest facelessman07

Doesn't matter if it's an anomaly, that's not the point. The point is you can win in a lot of ways. JJ doesn't spend all year injured either, but you'll never admit that.

Umm...yes he does

Look at the reports. Vast majority of season on that beloved report

Umm...yes he does

Look at the reports. Vast majority of season on that beloved report

Unless you can go back and look at the injury reports of any other receiver in the league, i don't care. Lots of players get injured but still play in a game, and you won't fault them for that because you don't know which have. faulty argument.

one thing to remember. That run defense was completely different in the playoffs. Bob Sanders bring back was the spark they needed

Not saying you don't need defense of course, i've always said you need a good defense, more importantly one that can get off the field when needed. You can obviously have a good offense (passing offense even) and still have a good enough defense though.

Guest facelessman07

Unless you can go back and look at the injury reports of any other receiver in the league, i don't care. Lots of players get injured but still play in a game, and you won't fault them for that because you don't know which have. faulty argument.

No, it's not

Your putting additional words in my mouth then accusing me of a faulty argument. In fact, you're criticizing your own argument

No, it's not

Your putting additional words in my mouth then accusing me of a faulty argument. In fact, you're criticizing your own argument

My argument is JJ misses few games, produces in the games he does play in, and you're judging him based off a metric that you don't judge any receiver outside the team on. Where am i mistaken in there?

Ahh I knew you'd chime in my friend

That is a rare exception, it's an anomaly, not the rule. I'm not gonna bother to look up the exact numbers but I'd venture to guess those receivers didn't spend all year on the injury report and miss valuable practice time or even games

Yes, I said practice. Games are won and lost in practice. We've seen Ryan and Julio's chemistry way off at times. Why? Lack of practice

Unfortunately, the saints were a top offense with a crappie defense. GB was actually an offensive team, but they were balanced and had a decent defense as well. Doesn't seem like an anomaly. The anomaly is how well Seattle played last year. Truly a fluke game. I believe a championship team is composed of team being balanced on both sides. If not, then you end up being the buffalo bills of the past 2 years.

Guest facelessman07

My argument is JJ misses few games, produces in the games he does play in, and you're judging him based off a metric that you don't judge any receiver outside the team on. Where am i mistaken in there?

He was the reason for a lot of our offense's mishaps earlier in the year, so no he doesn't produce in every game he plays in. You're now gonna say that no receiver does had I not said it here, when you just said that he produces in games he plays in. False

How do you know for a fact that I don't judge other receivers the same way? You don't. This is TATF, therefore I try to make the majority of my discussions TATF. Julio doesn't get any special treatment from me

He was the reason for a lot of our offense's mishaps earlier in the year, so no he doesn't produce in every game he plays in. You're now gonna say that no receiver does had I not said it here, when you just said that he produces in games he plays in. False

How do you know for a fact that I don't judge other receivers the same way? You don't. This is TATF, therefore I try to make the majority of my discussions TATF. Julio doesn't get any special treatment from me

He produces in games he plays in. That's a generalization, people don't speak in literal terms all the time, you know this right?

And i know it because you just said you were too lazy to look up the amount of games missed by one group of WR's, there's 0% chance you're watching every single team's injury reports every week.

Guest facelessman07

Unfortunately, the saints were a top offense with a crappie defense. GB was actually an offensive team, but they were balanced and had a decent defense as well. Doesn't seem like an anomaly. The anomaly is how well Seattle played last year. Truly a fluke game. I believe a championship team is composed of team being balanced on both sides. If not, then you end up being the buffalo bills of the past 2 years.

No, the anomaly is how people think we need an "elite" receiver to win rings. Did NO? No. Did Green Bay? No. Jordy Nekson is very good, but not elite

The Seattle game was not an anomaly, not a fluke. Stop saying stupid things

Edited by facelessman07

No, the anomaly is how people think we need an "elite" receiver to win rings. Did NO? No. Did Green Bay? No. Jordy Nekson is very good, but not elite

The Seattle game was not an anomaly, not a fluke. Stop saying stupid things

Do we have to have one? No, but so what? That doesn't mean that he doesn't help the team, and moreso than random draft pick A, who may not even work out.

Guest facelessman07

Do we have to have one? No, but so what? That doesn't mean that he doesn't help the team, and moreso than random draft pick A, who may not even work out.

When your team has more holes than a Vegas brothel, and you're close to giving an oft-injured WR a $100+ million dollar contract, heads should be scratched

Priorities

This team has been built poorly. Time to find out how much of that was due to Smith

Time will tell..

Guest facelessman07

He produces in games he plays in. That's a generalization, people don't speak in literal terms all the time, you know this right?

And i know it because you just said you were too lazy to look up the amount of games missed by one group of WR's, there's 0% chance you're watching every single team's injury reports every week.

That was a group of Colts WR's from nearly 10 years ago when I didn't watch football nearly as much as I do today. There ya go assuming again, which has been your downfall

Totally different scenario. As I said, julio gets no special treatment from me. I judge ALL receivers on an even playing field

With the NFL salary cap it is set up so when a team has a good run players can capitalize and go get more $$$ with other teams. But if you spend your early draft picks building stout lines year in and year out. There are tons of receivers available to cycle thru at minimum cost. Tons of running backs. But a good o-lineman or d-lineman is the gold you save and build around. Look at New England, Seattle, Ravens, Green Bay, all their receivers are floaters. But their linemen are solid never leaving. Rounds 1-3 linemen. Build from the inside out. James Crowder from Duke will be there Round 4 or 5 and he is another Harry Douglas. Falcons need linemen on o-line and d-line, LB, and TE. Julio is as good as gone. Can't afford him and Ryan both. Ryan needs to restructure his contract. Team is top heavy. Ryan needs to decide if he wants to win a SuperBowl or not. If he won't restructure Falcons need to let him go. He is upper mid-tier but not great.

Guest facelessman07

How that work out for bama? Gave up 40 points to ohio with Henry Yeldon and Cooper. defense wins championships. We don't have enough pieces on D to take him. Didn't we learn from the GB playoff loss that you get defense to beat Rodgers not a receiver?

Shhhhh......

Why are you trying to rustle jimmies around here with your facts??

Stahhhp it

I did a mock recently and said that if he falls pass the Titans he would be a steal... Dude is the safest pick in the entire draft. He's similar to Sammy Watkins but Amari is a SUPREME route-runner who excelled in a pro-style offense. He would come in and produce immediately.

I'm in favor of drafting Cooper and trading Julio if the price is right. I don't see how we can afford to invest money in Julio and build the defense.

Cooper is as talented as Julio was coming out of college and he's cheaper short term. I realize a lot of people are going to call me crazy, but you get a talented wr and recoup the picks you lost on the trade. You can get a first this year and next for him and use those picks on defense and improve the team.

Your not crazy just wrong.

Man I tell you why we don't do it because with #11 we know what we have even in an injury interrupted season #11 in some games nie on looked the best WRer in the game.Julio will get 10 mill this season and yet we are still 30+ mill if we want under the cap how is it we can't afford to fix the defense????

Cooper is an outstanding talent but is only proven at the college level.You stated Julio and Amari are of similar talent this is just not true Julio has ripped some of the best defenses at the pro level and until Cooper can prove he can do the same at the next level the talent advantage is #11's every day past Sunday.

The same offense that scored 3 points against Carolina?

This whole "dependency" on 1 player really handicaps the offense. It's a losing mentality

So many times on game day when Julio doesn't play the response is "Oh, Julio's out, chalk it up as a L." Horrible mindset. Is that what the great teams do? No

And btw, **** national attention. Did you really just say that?!?!

No the same offense that scored 56 against Tampa with #11 the same offense that ripped the 9ers in the NFCCG 100+ yards in a QTR with #11 that one.