Why Are We Over Thinking This?

This is WAY too obvious.

Rex Ryan is great at defense. Our team is terrible at defense.

Rex Ryan has developed players into impact defensive talent. We have talented defensive players that are in need of development.

Rex struggles with offense. We excel at offense.

Rex is a good game manager and strategist. Our team is capable of performing very well when properly prepared.

Why is it then that there seems to be so much resistance from the fan base? Ok, his overall record isn't good. He's lost more than he's won. But he's never had a QB as good as Ryan. When Mark Sanchez was playing well, the Jets were in the Conference Finals. It was only when his game went to crap (around year 3-4) when the Jets began to lose repeatedly.

I really started this thread to get specific reason/situation/games that some of the naysayers are basing their opinion on. I'm no Rex Ryan expert, but he is clearly a great defensive mind and a good HC. He's one of the few coaches that gives the Patriots a run for their money every time.

Any specifics would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not saying Rex wouldn't be a good coach, but I'm tired of taking coaches (& players for that matter) from losing teams & acting like it will be different here. I want a winner, someone who isn't going to accept losing. I don't know if Rex is that guy or not, but I want someone with a winning pedigree.

This is WAY too obvious.

Rex Ryan is great at defense. Our team is terrible at defense.

Rex Ryan has developed players into impact defensive talent. We have talented defensive players that are in need of development.

Rex struggles with offense. We excel at offense.

Rex is a good game manager and strategist. Our team is capable of performing very well when properly prepared.

Why is it then that there seems to be so much resistance from the fan base? Ok, his overall record isn't good. He's lost more than he's won. But he's never had a QB as good as Ryan. When Mark Sanchez was playing well, the Jets were in the Conference Finals. It was only when his game went to crap (around year 3-4) when the Jets began to lose repeatedly.

I really started this thread to get specific reason/situation/games that some of the naysayers are basing their opinion on. I'm no Rex Ryan expert, but he is clearly a great defensive mind and a good HC. He's one of the few coaches that gives the Patriots a run for their money every time.

Any specifics would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Game management will continue to be an issue and it will be worse than under Smith. Evidence of his inability to manage the end of the half & game has been posted.

The only OC Ryan has been able to hire that was a decent OC was the one the Jets forced him to keep on staff when they hired him. He's done a lousy job of hiring offensive coordinators.

People complained about Smith being too loyal to players, well ask Jets fans about Ryan's loyalty to Sanchez. Sanchez was Ryan's Kroy Biermann.

I have no doubts that Ryan could turn this D around in 2 years, but I think the offense would take a huge downturn that would equal or exceed the improvement in D.

All I want to know about Rex is how he plans on handling the offense. We all know what he's capable of with the defense. But is he man enough to let the OC call all of the shots?

we're going to run the **** ball, thats for sure. And Matt with a run game can be scary.

Game management will continue to be an issue and it will be worse than under Smith. Evidence of his inability to manage the end of the half & game has been posted.

The only OC Ryan has been able to hire that was a decent OC was the one the Jets forced him to keep on staff when they hired him. He's done a lousy job of hiring offensive coordinators.

People complained about Smith being too loyal to players, well ask Jets fans about Ryan's loyalty to Sanchez. Sanchez was Ryan's Kroy Biermann.

I have no doubts that Ryan could turn this D around in 2 years, but I think the offense would take a huge downturn that would equal or exceed the improvement in D.

Sanchez was not a terrible qb. He was also their best option. The GM there make stupid decisions like bringing in Tebow for no reason. He will not have that issue here.We have a qb, we have WRs, RBs are ok, we just need a line & maybe a TE. Looks brighter to me. Edited by Madness21

All I want to know about Rex is how he plans on handling the offense. We all know what he's capable of with the defense. But is he man enough to let the OC call all of the shots?

That was part of Ryan's problem in NY. He gave too much responsibility to the OC. Heck, he had a WR benched during a game & he didn't even know about it until a reporter asked after the game. The OC had so much control that he didn't even have to bring Ryan's attention that he was benching a player for the rest of a game. It was after that came out that Rex vowed to get more involved in the offense. That is when the Jets O dropped off a cliff.

That was part of Ryan's problem in NY. He gave too much responsibility to the OC. Heck, he had a WR benched during a game & he didn't even know about it until a reporter asked after the game. The OC had so much control that he didn't even have to bring Ryan's attention that he was benching a player for the rest of a game. It was after that came out that Rex vowed to get more involved in the offense. That is when the Jets O dropped off a cliff.

I wasn't aware of that. At this point I dont care who we hire, I'll be on board with anyone. I just hope we do our homework.

Edited by ShmevinShmarris

Don't like Ryan as the HC. While researching some of his issues in regards to Idzik, I learned that during the first Miami game (when he was forced to start Geno). He devised a game plan to primarily run the entire game. 41 of the first 49 plays were running plays. In the first half Jets were running all over the Dolphins, racking up over 200 yards in the first half. While it proved effective this game plan was done to spite Idzik. I personally don't take an issue with. What I do take issue with is that when Miami started stacking the box...he still ran, and ran, and ran. This was because he was still trying to stick it to Idzik. Any coach who wants to win would have set aside his own personal feelings toward the GM, and allowed the QB the opportunity to pass and potentially score in order to win the game. Jets lossed that game. This to me is unforgivable, a coach should never put his personal feelings for a GM, before his team, especially when there are players who want to win that game.

Edited by Sidecar Falcon

I think Ryan might be able to make an immediate impact and knows the basics in being a head coach hiring a staff etc. and I'd imagine he would change some of the glaring mistakes he made in New York, the other guys are going to have to learn on the job, hire a staff and hopefully make an early impact on the roster that remains. The June draft instead of April limits the time coaches have with the players. While I'm still leaning towards Bowles I do see the advantages of a former NFL head coach in being prepared for all that it entails.

Don't like Ryan as the HC. While researching some of his issues in regards to Idzik, I learned that during the first Miami game (when he was forced to start Geno). He devised a game plan to primarily run the entire game. 41 of the first 49 plays were running plays. In the first half Jets were running all over the Dolphins, racking up over 200 yards in the first half. While it proved effective this game plan was done to spite Idzik. I personally don't take an issue with. What I do take issue with is that when Miami started stacking the box...he still ran, and ran, and ran. This was because he was still trying to stick it to Idzik. Any coach who wants to win would have set aside his own personal feelings toward the GM, and allowed the QB the opportunity to pass and potentially score in order to win the game. Jets lossed that game. This to me is unforgivable, a coach should never put his personal feelings for a GM, before his team, especially when there are players who want to win that game.

I don't get how that was to slight Idzik. They ran for 5.6 yards per carry and almost won the game. One of the few times they put the ball in Geno's hands, he threw an interception.

I don't get how that was to slight Idzik. They ran for 5.6 yards per carry and almost won the game. One of the few times they put the ball in Geno's hands, he threw an interception.

Because he was forced to start Geno. He wanted to prove a post that just because he has to start Geno, doesn't mean he has to give him plays. Purposely not giving your team EVERY opportunity to win is wrong.

Because he was forced to start Geno. He wanted to prove a post that just because he has to start Geno, doesn't mean he has to give him plays. Purposely not giving your team EVERY opportunity to win is wrong.

That seems incredibly speculative from what I can tell, and he has given Geno a decent number of plays in every game since then. I'm more inclined to believe Geno's 35.4 QB rating in that game had something to do with it.

Edited by Phillipkeith Manley

Well said Rob...