A-Town's Mock Draft - V.1

Hires:

Head Coach: Rex Ryan
Pros: He will instantly turn around our defense. He knows how to use players to their strengths, and he knows how to get the troops motivated to fight for him. We just need a solid OC to make sure the offense doesnt sputter out like it did with Koetter.

Let Walk:

• Osi Umenyiora (retires)
  • Sam Baker (retires)
  • Jonathan Scott
  • Kroy Biermann
  • Charles Godfrey
  • Bear Pascoe
  • Robert McClain
  • Mike Johnson
  • Javier Arenas
  • Cliff Matthews
  • TJ Yates
  • Patrick DiMarco
  • Jacquizz Rodgers
  • Nathan Stupar
  • Eric Weems

Re-Sign:

• Matt Bryant, K
    Contract: 3 years, $9 million
    $2 million cap hit First year
  • Dwight Lowery, FS
    Contract: 2 years, $1.8 million
    $900,000 cap hit First year

• Antone Smith, RB
    Contract: 2 years. $2 million
    $1 million cap hit First year

• Corey Peters, DT
    Contract: 3 years, $7 million
    $1.5 million cap hit First year

• Sean Weatherspoon, LB
    Contract: 2 years, $3.5 million
    $1.5 million cap hit First year

• Josh Wilson, CB
    Contract: 2 years, $1.4 million
    $700,000 cap hit First year

• Drew Davis, WR
    Contract: 2 years, $2 million
    $1 million cap hit First year

• Gabe Carimi, OL
    Contract: 1 year, $900,000
    $900,000 cap hit First year

Release:

• Steven Jackson - saves $3.75 million
  • Harry Douglas - saves $3.5 million
  • Jonathan Babineaux - saves $2.33 million
  • Justin Blalock - saves $3.79 million

Free Agency:

• Justin Houston, OLB, Kansas City
    Contract: 6 years, $93 million, $40 million guaranteed.

$13 million cap First year
  • Mike Iupati, OG, San Francisco
    Contract: 4 years, $28 million, $10 million guaranteed.
    $5.5 million cap hit First year

• Brandon Marshall, LB, Denver
    Contract: 5 years, $32.5 million, $14 million guaranteed.
    $5.5 million cap hit First year

• Denarius Moore, WR, Oakland
    Contract: 3 years, $9 million, $4 million guaranteed.
    $2 million cap hit First year

2015 NFL Draft:

1: Vic Beasley, OLB, Clemson
2014 stats: 34 tackles, 21.5 TFL, 12 sacks, 6 QB hurries, 2 FF, 3 PBU
Career stats: 89 tackles, 52.5 TFL, 33 sacks, 13 QB hurries, 7 FF, 9 PBU
Pros: Vic is a tremendous pass rusher with electric quickness off of the snap. He has an explosive first step and can get in the back field in a hurry. He also uses his hands very well which combined with his speed makes it hard for linemen to get a hand on him. He has a nice collection of counter moves and shows he is working on his pass rushing moves as well. He is much stronger than he looks, and is getting more stout at the point of attack. He also has great closing speed and quickness when pursuing the ball carrier. I also really like his motor and ability to keep making plays.

2: Maxx Williams, TE, Minnesota
2014 stats: 29 receptions, 471 yards, 7 TDs
Career stats: 54 receptions, 888 yards, 12 TDs
Pros: Maxx is an exceptional athlete with a nice mixture of size and speed. He is very sure handed and is a mismatch nightmare for safeties and linebackers. He is a tough player who fights for extra yardage and doesnt go down easily. He has a great motor and is a very smart and savvy football player. He is also a strong run blocker. All around great TE with tremendous upside.

3: Paul Dawson, LB, TCU
2014 stats: 136 tackles, 20 TFL, 6 sacks, 4 INT, 5 QB hurries, 2 FF, 5 PBU
Career stats: 241 tackles, 31 TFL, 6.5 sacks, 5 INT, 6 QB hurries, 3 FF, 8 PBU
Pros: Paul is an incredibly productive linebacker who makes plays all over the field. He is one of the most athletic linebackers in the country who also shows great quickness and strength. Paul does a nice job of diagnosing a play quickly and rapidly closes on the ball carrier. He has great instincts and he shows a great ability to run downhill. Paul makes a ton of plays at the line of scrimmage and does a nice job of avoiding blockers using his quickness and athleticism. He is also a very strong tackler who can pack a punch behind his hits. He can cover ground quickly and should fit nicely into our defense.

4: Josh Robinson, RB, Mississippi State
2014 stats: 190 rushes, 1203 yards, 6.33 ypc, 11 TDs. 28 rec, 370 yards, 1 TD.
Career stats: 323 rushes, 1997 yards, 6.18 ypc, 15 TDs. 43 rec, 493 yards, 1 TD
Pros: Josh Robinson is a shorter but thicker RB built in the mold of Maurice Jones-Drew. He can also be compared to a light Michael Turner. He is deceptively quick and very nimble for his stature. He shows incredible balance with a great ability to shed tackles. He has a nice combination of athleticism, quickness, and strength. He is a very patient runner who can slip through small creases of daylight and make big plays. He is also a willing blocker who can also catch out of the back field.

5: Kevin White, CB, TCU
2014 stats: 51 tackles, 4 TFL, 1 sack, 2 INT, 11 PBU
Career stats: 146 tackles, 6.5 TFL, 1 sack, 6 INT, 27 PBU
Pros: Kevin is a very fluid athlete who has tremendous flexibility and quickness. He knows how to read and react to receivers, but he is also so quick at redirecting feet that it allows him to stick to his man very well. He shows a great ability to flip his hips with tremendous fluidity. He did a great job of shutting down the other Kevin White from West Virginia.

6: Jalston Fowler, FB, Alabama
2014 stats: 12 rushes, 69 yards, 5.75 ypc. 9 rec, 115 yards, 2 TDs
Career stats: 113 rushes, 738 yards, 6.5 ypc, 5 TDs. 17 rec, 136 yards, 7 TDs
Pros: Jalston is a big bodied, traditional fullback that can open up running lanes and tote the rock as well. He is a powerful run blocker who is also a nimble ball carrier. He displays impressive strength with the quickness to hit the hole and pave the way for the ball carrier. He is by far the best full back in this draft.

7: Devin Smith, WR, Ohio State
2014 stats: 30 receptions, 799 yards, 11 TDs.
Career stats: 121 receptions, 2371 yards, 29 TDs
Pros: Devin is an explosive athlete with incredible game speed and quickness. He is a deep threat who can take the top off of a defense. He has very sure hands and shows the ability to track down the ball and come up with the catch. He has average nearly 20 yards a catch in his career, making him a massive play maker for the Buckeyes. He can separate from defensive backs with just his athleticism and speed, and with a little coaching on his route running, he could be legit threat and he could be groomed into taking over for Roddy. For now, he can cause havoc in the slot position.

7: Julius White, FS Rice
2014 stats: 34 tackles, 5 TFL, 7 PBU
Career stats: 180 tackles, 11 TFL, 4 INT, 22 PBU
Pros: Julius White is a player who may fly up the draft boards depending on his personal workouts. He shows a great ability to run downhill, close on the ball carrier, and make a strong tackle. He is an explosive athlete who can fly all around the field making plays. He is a solid cover guy, but he can also come down in the box and wreck some havoc. He has the ability to read and react to the quarterback, and can break down plays very quickly. He is a very heady player who knows how to read plays and makes on the ball, whether the ball is in the air or in a ball carriers hands.

Depth Chart:

Offense:
QB: Matt Ryan, Sean Renfree
RB: Josh Robinson, Devonta Freeman, Antone Smith
FB: Jalston Fowler
TE: Maxx Williams, Levine Toilolo
WRx: Julio Jones, Devin Smith, Devin Hester
WRy: Roddy White, Denarius Moore, Drew Davis
LT: Jake Matthews, Lamar Holmes
LG: Mike Iupati, Harland Gunn
OC: Joe Hawley, James Stone
RG: Jon Asamoah, Gabe Carimi
RT: Ryan Schraeder, Lamar Holmes

Defense:
LDE: Tyson Jackson, Corey Peters
NT: Paul Soliai
RDE: RaShede Hageman, Mallicah Goodman
LOLB: Justin Houston, Jonathan Massaquoi
LILB: Sean Weatherspoon, Paul Dawson, Paul Worrilow
RILB: Brandon Marshall, Paul Dawson, Joplo Bartu, Marquis Spruill
ROLB: Vic Beasley, Stansly Maponga, Tyler Starr
LCB: Desmond Trufant, Kevin White, Josh Wilson
RCB: Robert Alford, Kevin White, Ricardo Allen
FS: Dwight Lowery, Dezmen Southward, Julius White
SS: William Moore, Kemal Ishmael

Special Teams:
K: Matt Bryant
P: Matt Bosher
KR/PR: Devin Hester

Sidenote: I would like to possibly keep Robert McClain if there is enough space. Maybe in Ryan's system he could do a little better. I would also consider signing Clay Charles and draft another defensive player in the front seven for us in the second. I am also not sure the exact Cap Number, but if it's between 35-37 mil this is a very reasonable offseason with even more room to sign guys after we make some releases. Other guys I was considering signing: Devin McCourty, Charles Clay, Doug Free, Brandon Graham, and Darelle Revis. (not all at the same time). Let me know what you think!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the draft and FA except there is one HUGE Flaw. We absolutely CAN NOT go into next year with 5 Interior lineman ESPCECIALLY the 5 lineman we had from last year We were last in sacks and run defense for a reason. We actually got worse with the new additions

Use more than half that 5.5mil for the LB for another interior rusher or run stopper. There are a lot of good DT's in FA this year. You could even go TE in FA and Malcolm Brown DT or Michael Bennet DT in 2nd round. We need more front 7 help across the board before a TE in the 2nd. We unfortunately do not have that luxury.

I like the draft and FA except there is one HUGE Flaw. We absolutely CAN NOT go into next year with 5 Interior lineman ESPCECIALLY the 5 lineman we had from last year We were last in sacks and run defense for a reason. We actually got worse with the new additions Use more than half that 5.5mil for the LB for another interior rusher or run stopper. There are a lot of good DT's in FA this year. You could even go TE in FA and Malcolm Brown DT or Michael Bennet DT in 2nd round. We need more front 7 help across the board before a TE in the 2nd. We unfortunately do not have that luxury.

I think given the right coaches, the players we have can be used in their right positions. Hageman will only get better, and a 3-4 front would benefit some of these guys. We also had shoddy linebackers these past year, now we have added the combination of Houston, Beasley, Weatherspoon, Dawson, and Marshall to the front seven. That's a huge upgrade. And we currently don't have a receiving threat at the TE position. I think given the pieces it could be a good team.

The official "I watch bowl games" mock.

Go watch their other games.

doesn't matter the scheme. Peters does not deserve a 7mil contract either. Had No impact really on D. The bears is was about worse than ours but they at least had a D tackle with 6 sacks. All of our D tackles combined had 6 sacks. When we rushed 4 they didn't get pressure. how is that coaching and scheme? every defense rushes 4 and ours couldn't getthe job done.

We just gave contracts to Soliai and Jackson, who are better in a 3-4 front. But Nolan tried to use them in a four man front in very odd combinations. He also didn't give Hageman as many reps but he was making an impact when he was out there. I think the rotation of Peters, Jackson, Hageman, and Goodman could work in a 3-4 front. Not only that, we will have some disruptive linebackers now so they will help make everyone look better a little better by providing some pass rush and making plays at the line.

Solid mock all around, but there's one glaring weakness: we need a thumper ILB badly. I'd go as far as to say that's our 2nd most dire need right now.

I think the Dark Horse is Spruill. He has gained some muscle since being injured and I think he could come back and a decent two down backer. I would like to get someone above 250 though at the LB position but there isn't many options out there.

run a 3-4... just what we already have BEFORE any adds from FA and Draft.

Hageman and Goodman and TJax and Peters at DE.

we need another NT; Hags can play there on pass downs.

Shembo is the the strong ILB - thumper.

Spoon is cover ILB.

Spruill and Worrilow in the mix.

Mass and Maponga are OLBs.

Spruill potentially a rush OLB.

A-Town you are SEVERILY missing the point. When we even rushed 4 they didn't get any pressure up the middle. plenty of 3-4 teams rush 4 on 3rd downs. Ravens, Jets etc. Look at Carolina when they rushed 4. They got home. Our interior D is not that good no matter the scheme. Its personnel as well. Just accept it. You can not tell me that Nick Fairley, Terrance Knighton, Dan Williams, Damon Harrison etc (aLL FA) are not better than what we have. We have the $$ why not upgrade? TD and CO. made a mistake with the big contracts but you CAN NOT just say oh well we spent money all ready last year. That's settling for mediocre which was our defense this past season.You saw the same games I did. Our whole front 7 needs some area of upgrades. You can not convince me and most likely the new coach otherwise when they watch film. Pressure is at best when your DTackles can push the pocket into the OLB/DE's we had none of that last year. Least amount of pressure and sacks from DT spot in the league this year man. Also there are a number of guys from the draft that could help out STAT!

Brandon Marshall getting more that Iupati? Lol no frigging way.. If we somehow get Houston--which I hope we do, but it's a big IF--I doubt we land Iupati for that amount. I'm not a cap guy but that's some serious cash put out.

If it was 5 years he would get around 35 million. 7 million a year for a guard seems pretty good especially if you look at someone like Asamoah's contract. If we do those cuts we should have enough money to make all of the moves and have some left over cash.

Our top 3 needs IMO are edge pass rushers, RT and ILB. I like what you've put together on the whole, but you need something in there for RT - Schroeder is not good, sorry and Holmes still scares me. If we were to go the route of cutting Blalock to snag Iupati, that's an upgrade for sure, but that 2nd rounder should be used for a RT and I'd love it if TJ Clemmings was available. Quite a few OTs available in this year's draft. I'd even trade up a bit for Clemmings.

As for your FAs, I'd switch Marshall for David Harris. He'll come in and be the thumper and leader we desperately need - him playing for Rex the past several years is a nice bonus. We can address TE later in the draft or if we had the money, I like Clay. You've addressed the rushers well with Houston (hope he's available but doubt it) and Beasley (I'd take Shane Ray as well). Like that you kept Spoon as many have given up on him, I haven't. Last thing, I like what Wilson has done at CB this year, but it's a tough call re: McClain.

Good job though.

A-Town you are SEVERILY missing the point. When we even rushed 4 they didn't get any pressure up the middle. plenty of 3-4 teams rush 4 on 3rd downs. Ravens, Jets etc. Look at Carolina when they rushed 4. They got home. Our interior D is not that good no matter the scheme. Its personnel as well. Just accept it. You can not tell me that Nick Fairley, Terrance Knighton, Dan Williams, Damon Harrison etc (aLL FA) are not better than what we have. We have the $$ why not upgrade? TD and CO. made a mistake with the big contracts but you CAN NOT just say oh well we spent money all ready last year. That's settling for mediocre which was our defense this past season.You saw the same games I did. Our whole front 7 needs some area of upgrades. You can not convince me and most likely the new coach otherwise when they watch film. Pressure is at best when your DTackles can push the pocket into the OLB/DE's we had none of that last year. Least amount of pressure and sacks from DT spot in the league this year man. Also there are a number of guys from the draft that could help out STAT!

Sounds like a nagative Nancy to me. The front 3 being used properly in a 3-4 will work better then being used in a 4-3. Inside LB's will be rookies that have been stunted in growth because of smith and Nolan.

Our top 3 needs IMO are edge pass rushers, RT and ILB. I like what you've put together on the whole, but you need something in there for RT - Schroeder is not good, sorry and Holmes still scares me. If we were to go the route of cutting Blalock to snag Iupati, that's an upgrade for sure, but that 2nd rounder should be used for a RT and I'd love it if TJ Clemmings was available. Quite a few OTs available in this year's draft. I'd even trade up a bit for Clemmings. As for your FAs, I'd switch Marshall for David Harris. He'll come in and be the thumper and leader we desperately need - him playing for Rex the past several years is a nice bonus. We can address TE later in the draft or if we had the money, I like Clay. You've addressed the rushers well with Houston (hope he's available but doubt it) and Beasley (I'd take Shane Ray as well). Like that you kept Spoon as many have given up on him, I haven't. Last thing, I like what Wilson has done at CB this year, but it's a tough call re: McClain. Good job though.

I have to disagree. Both Schraeder and Holmes were good and improving. I have no reason to believe that they won't continue to do so, unless we were to foolishly fire Tice.

No I know football. My dad was a defensive coach who ran a 3-4 in highschool for many years. You do not rush 5 on every down during a 3-4. you have to go to a nickel package when a 3rd receiver comes in the game therefore leaving 4 rushers. Now they all don't have to be 2DTs and 2OLB but most of the time it is that personnel. The Jets have Richardson and Wilkerson in the middle. The ravens have Ngata and Canty or Ngata and 2rounder Jernigan rushing the passer. Both have better personnel than the falcons at D tackle. They rush 4 on 3rd downs. When we rush 4 we get no pressure. Why are you taking up for the fuk up Dimitroff did to our defense. Soliai and Jackson are NOT interior rushers more run stoppers(still had league worst run D) so that leaves Peters, Hageman, and Goodman (combined for 3 sacks this year) as your pass rushers according to this mock. You don't think that needs improving? Keep in mind Soliai and Jackson did not record a sack this year.

I think the Dark Horse is Spruill. He has gained some muscle since being injured and I think he could come back and a decent two down backer. I would like to get someone above 250 though at the LB position but there isn't many options out there.

Brandon Spikes is a FA

No I know football. My dad was a defensive coach who ran a 3-4 in highschool for many years. You do not rush 5 on every down during a 3-4. you have to go to a nickel package when a 3rd receiver comes in the game therefore leaving 4 rushers. Now they all don't have to be 2DTs and 2OLB but most of the time it is that personnel. The Jets have Richardson and Wilkerson in the middle. The ravens have Ngata and Canty or Ngata and 2rounder Jernigan rushing the passer. Both have better personnel than the falcons at D tackle. They rush 4 on 3rd downs. When we rush 4 we get no pressure. Why are you taking up for the fuk up Dimitroff did to our defense. Soliai and Jackson are NOT interior rushers more run stoppers(still had league worst run D) so that leaves Peters, Hageman, and Goodman (combined for 3 sacks this year) as your pass rushers according to this mock. You don't think that needs improving? Keep in mind Soliai and Jackson did not record a sack this year.

When we rushed four against the Saints, we seemed to get some decent pressure if I recall.

Hilarious you blame "the fuk up" on TD despite the fact that Smitty and Nolan asked for this...

So Vel you would be comfortable with the interior of this line going into 2015 according to this mock? Is it not hard to see that Smith and Nolan were wrong as well. All three made the mistake of thinking these players were going to push the pocket. So I don't have one person on this board that thinks that we don't at least need 1 upgrade to the DT? We were in the bottom of the league in about every defensive category and it all starts up front. You all really don't think we need any upgrades???? Steven Peae had 6 sacks from the bears for crying out loud.

The saints game(who is a divisional rival) is the only game we got interior pressure...We have the WORST DT personnel in our own division. Stats don't lie. When we did run proper 3-4 personnel we got no pressure. When we rushed in a 4-3 with Peters and Jackson we got no pressure. Before you say Jackson is a 3-4 guy, he rushed in a line of 4 in KC and got 4 sacks. He had Poe a 2x probowler next to him was Poe though. Poe does not = soliai. Therefore we need an upgrade somewhere.