Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Willy Mo

January Hawks Thread.

1,469 posts in this topic

Lamar Patterson Keeping Tabs On Hawks From Europe
lamar.jpg?itok=WCOtb3tA
Jack Arent/NBAE/Getty Images
Posted: Jan 24, 2015

If there’s one thing that stands out about the 2014-15 Atlanta Hawks, it’s that no one stands out.

One might say that they don’t have a star, unless of course one says that they have four or five of them. What stands out is that they are all good teammates, unselfish and always prepared. They follow the coach's scheme and pay attention to the details. It’s hard to argue with winning 29 out of 31 games.

The Hawks have been savvy about getting those types of studious players in the past two years. When they traded away their 2015 second-round pick to Milwaukee to pluck Lamar Patterson from the second round of the 2014 draft, Atlanta was surely thinking along those lines.

Even though his play in the Las Vegas Summer League didn’t result in a spot on the Hawks' roster, there were highlights. One was when he averaged 10.5 points in his first two games. Another happened when he talked about the possibility of bringing his pet alligator to Atlanta.

The 6’5” guard certainly fits the profile of the typical Hawk wing. First and foremost, if there’s a good pass to be made, Patterson will make it. As a fifth-year senior at Pittsburgh, he averaged 4.3 assists per game as a shooting guard. He can shoot too, hitting 39% of his threes in both his final season at Pitt and this season in the Turkish Basketball League. Combine that with a 6’11” wingspan, and the 23-year-old makes for an intriguing prospect.

Patterson and the Hawks are still showing up strongly on each other’s radar. He keeps up with his former Vegas teammates.

“Me and Dennis talk all the time. Adriean and I, we talk."

“Every morning when I get up, I check ESPN, and I see that they’re winning.” Patterson said via a phone interview. “Every morning I look to see: ‘They got another win, they got another win’. It’s great to see that, you know? I definitely keep up with them.”

He wishes he could see more games live, but the local 4 a.m. tip times make watching games difficult.

The Hawks are keeping an eye out too. The team sent personnel to Turkey to watch Patterson play for Tofas Bursa a couple of months ago, and Patterson says that they may come again soon. The Hawks don’t have him under contract on their 15-man roster, but they do still hold his future NBA draft rights.

As far as positions go, Patterson notes, “I’ve been playing the 2 and 3 most times. But there have been games where I’ve played the point guard and power forward too, so I have to know all the plays from every position. It’s just something I’ve been doing my whole life.”

Playing for Bursa isn’t like playing the NBA, or even the Summer League for that matter. Until he could learn some basic Turkish and tune his ear to the local cadence of English in Bursa, communication was a concern. Unruly fans have occasionally made for a different experience too.

“We were playing Galatasaray in Istanbul, we’re winning and they just get rowdy. They start throwing coins and lighters and water bottles on the court. You don’t see that in America. Next thing you know, my point guard got hit directly in between the eyes on the bridge of his nose by a coin, and I was like, ‘Whoever threw that should be a quarterback in the NFL. That was a perfect throw.’ I’m glad he survived through that one.”

It seems likely that Patterson will play for the Summer League version of the Hawks again this year. Until then, he vows to continue to improve.

“I’m over here working, just trying to become the best player I possibly can. Hopefully I can suit up in a Hawks uniform next season.”

And about that alligator? Patterson must have learned about unselfishness from his mother. Mom knows how to take one for the team. While Patterson works on his basketball skills thousands of miles from home, she is back in the U.S. hesitantly taking care of Lamar’s pet.

Story by KL Chouinard
@AnaheimAmigos

AF89 and freebird310 like this

Lamar Patterson Keeping Tabs On Hawks From Europe

lamar.jpg?itok=WCOtb3tA

Jack Arent/NBAE/Getty Images

Posted: Jan 24, 2015

If theres one thing that stands out about the 2014-15 Atlanta Hawks, its that no one stands out.

One might say that they dont have a star, unless of course one says that they have four or five of them. What stands out is that they are all good teammates, unselfish and always prepared. They follow the coach's scheme and pay attention to the details. Its hard to argue with winning 29 out of 31 games.

The Hawks have been savvy about getting those types of studious players in the past two years. When they traded away their 2015 second-round pick to Milwaukee to pluck Lamar Patterson from the second round of the 2014 draft, Atlanta was surely thinking along those lines.

Even though his play in the Las Vegas Summer League didnt result in a spot on the Hawks' roster, there were highlights. One was when he averaged 10.5 points in his first two games. Another happened when he talked about the possibility of

The 65 guard certainly fits the profile of the typical Hawk wing. First and foremost, if

, Patterson
. As a fifth-year senior at Pittsburgh, he averaged 4.3 assists per game as a shooting guard. He can shoot too, hitting 39% of his threes in both his final season at Pitt and this season in the Turkish Basketball League. Combine that with a 611 wingspan, and the 23-year-old makes for an intriguing prospect.

Patterson and the Hawks are still showing up strongly on each others radar. He keeps up with his former Vegas teammates.

Me and Dennis talk all the time. Adriean and I, we talk."

Every morning when I get up, I check ESPN, and I see that theyre winning. Patterson said via a phone interview. Every morning I look to see: They got another win, they got another win. Its great to see that, you know? I definitely keep up with them.

He wishes he could see more games live, but the local 4 a.m. tip times make watching games difficult.

The Hawks are keeping an eye out too. The team sent personnel to Turkey to watch Patterson play for Tofas Bursa a couple of months ago, and Patterson says that they may come again soon. The Hawks dont have him under contract on their 15-man roster, but they do still hold his future NBA draft rights.

As far as positions go, Patterson notes, Ive been playing the 2 and 3 most times. But there have been games where Ive played the point guard and power forward too, so I have to know all the plays from every position. Its just something Ive been doing my whole life.

Playing for Bursa isnt like playing the NBA, or even the Summer League for that matter. Until he could learn some basic Turkish and tune his ear to the local cadence of English in Bursa, communication was a concern. Unruly fans have occasionally made for a different experience too.

We were playing Galatasaray in Istanbul, were winning and they just get rowdy. They start throwing coins and lighters and water bottles on the court. You dont see that in America. Next thing you know, my point guard got hit directly in between the eyes on the bridge of his nose by a coin, and I was like, Whoever threw that should be a quarterback in the NFL. That was a perfect throw. Im glad he survived through that one.

It seems likely that Patterson will play for the Summer League version of the Hawks again this year. Until then, he vows to continue to improve.

Im over here working, just trying to become the best player I possibly can. Hopefully I can suit up in a Hawks uniform next season.

And about that alligator? Patterson must have learned about unselfishness from his mother. Mom knows how to take one for the team. While Patterson works on his basketball skills thousands of miles from home, she is back in the U.S. hesitantly taking care of Lamars pet.

Story by KL Chouinard

@AnaheimAmigos

Thanks for posting this. Much appreciated.

blkbigdog35 likes this

I believe the last time we played them they were missing Lopez but were otherwise healthy (not 100% on that) and we still handled them, IN THE ROSE GARDEN no less. So we don't necessarily need him to be out to take this one but I'm not going to say I'm sorry to see him out as it makes Carrol or whomever would've guarded him's job that much easier (he scored 30 last time)

We've also had Washington's number, but with a player like John Wall you never know. He might just find the zone and go off.

Brooklyn and New Orleans, I guess you could make a case for being trap games but those are still two very poor teams right now while Philly and Minn are just counting down to the lottery.

Edit: Philly is on the tail end of a back to back after Portland but both are at home and we'll have been at home for a while so I don't see fatigue as being to much of an issue. Bud may even use it as another "rest the starters" game.

Pretty sure we play them at home. John Wall or not, they've beaten us in ATL only once in several years (and that was last season after we got the injury bug).

Yall aren't allowed to talk about Bazemore.

He's Willys and mine. On the baze train from the start!

Too late Dawg. Already got in the action. Shud of said something man!

Too late Dawg. Already got in the action. Shud of said something man!

This flight is full. You will be transfered over to the next flight on Antic Airlines

Update on the Lamarcus Aldridge injury, apparently he went from 6-8 weeks to playing against the Wiz tonight. Apparently their seeing if they can delay the surgery for his thumb ligament after the season so we might see him next week after all.

Update on the Lamarcus Aldridge injury, apparently he went from 6-8 weeks to playing against the Wiz tonight. Apparently their seeing if they can delay the surgery for his thumb ligament after the season so we might see him next week after all.

Doctors probably told him it couldn't get any worse.

If Portland played in the East I bet he'd have gotten the surgery. Even with the break coming up a West team with playoff aspirations can't afford one of their best players to miss 6 weeks.

Yep. Saw that. Kind of strange that he goes from out 6 to 8 weeks to playing with the injury. Can't see this being good for him as the season progresses. May be in really bad shape later in the season.

Nets officially moved outside the playoff top 8 for those of you on draft pick watch.

Which means we've jumped from 15th to 10th most likely.

Which means we've jumped from 15th to 10th most likely.

Hey get into that lottery you never know...Nets don't look like their likely to get it turned around anytime soon, meanwhile Pistons and Hornets are finding mini little winning streaks here and there.

On the flip side though I'd love to have to play Brooklyn in the 1st round.

This flight is full. You will be transfered over to the next flight on Antic Airlines

I'm thinking about getting on the Das Schröder bandwagon. They'll be premium seats in a year or two.

Yall aren't allowed to talk about Bazemore.

He's Willys and mine. On the baze train from the start!

lol by that logic you're not allowed to talk about this team. Remember, we have no "superstar" and we're not the Spurs. rolleyes.gif

I haven't watched a nationally televised game in the last few weeks where the announcers didn't take a few minutes to start talking about the what a great team the Hawks are. The love is out there you guys you just have to take a moment to listen to it.