Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Willy Mo

January Hawks Thread.

1,469 posts in this topic

AJC said something about Schroeder wearing a "stimulant boot" on his left ankle before the game. hopefully a minor, LOWER ankle sprain.

It was obvious that the Hawks overall were not at their best last night. W/ Schroeder out, we had to overuse Teague and the substitution patterns were a lot different. That plus being tired from a long road trip.

hopefully Schroeder is back on Monday like what someone said here.

Man they were "out on their feet" as Nique would say playing 4 games in 5 nights on the road. Zombies basically. Still though they grabbed their nutsack sucked it up and pushed through for the win. This is a great team right now.

Was still an ugly game. Though I agree with you.

I agree it was the ugliest game we've had in a while.

But that's the thing. We were a little off, and the Bulls were on, and we still won by 10.

blkbigdog35 likes this

Outside of Korver we were 2/15 on 3s. Couple that with rose hitting a 3 everytime they got down, and that's really the only reason it was close.

This game really quieted the "what do you do when no one is hitting shots" argument. First, that'll never happen because we have 11 guys that can shoot. And second, we were poorly shooting as a team and still whooped a top East team.

Bring it on bitchez.

Zone#7 likes this

Outside of Korver we were 2/15 on 3s. Couple that with rose hitting a 3 everytime they got down, and that's really the only reason it was close.

This game really quieted the "what do you do when no one is hitting shots" argument. First, that'll never happen because we have 11 guys that can shoot. And second, we were poorly shooting as a team and still whooped a top East team.

Bring it on bitchez.

Team defense man. This is not just a 3 pt shooting team but I don't have to tell you that. You already know that. Others are still learning the game apparently.

It's funny. The Hawks were the only game in town in the 80's. People loved the sorry Braves and the sorry Falcons in the 80s but only really showed up for the Hawks in the 80's. They are becoming a tougher ticket again. You can't wait to the last minute for a decent affordable seat now. You better buy your tickets early if your looking for a deal. If not, you won't find one.

We led wire to wire lol. We're not going to destroy every team every night. The Bulls are good.

just telling you what Al Freaking Horford said in press conference after game. don't be a pizz-ant.

just telling you what Al Freaking Horford said in press conference after game. don't be a pizz-ant.

Real mature g-dawg.

I was just about to make a thread about it at least telling people to boycott ESPN. Reason they haven't played us all year, and feel like it's a jinx rather watch Rathbun/Nique announce it.

I was just about to make a thread about it at least telling people to boycott ESPN. Reason they haven't played us all year, and feel like it's a jinx rather watch Rathbun/Nique announce it.

SportsSouth usually broadcasts it's simulatenously. That might be only tnt games but I think it's both.

And you need to pick a side haha. Last month you were talking about Espn 3 times a day haha

Are these Hawks just getting started?
January, 18, 2015
JAN 18
12:19
AM ET
Doolittle_Bradford_35.jpgBy Bradford Doolittle
ESPN.com
Archive

CHICAGO -- Does anybody really still doubt whether the Atlanta Hawks are bona fide contenders in the Eastern Conference? If you do, you haven't been paying attention to the NBA over the last week. A more pertinent question may be whether Atlanta is a serious threat to win it all.

Atlanta's 107-99 win over the Chicago Bulls was remarkable for its banality. The Hawks raced out to an early lead, kept the Bulls down by double digits for most of the game, then coolly held on down the stretch even after Derrick Rose ignited the United Center in the final quarter with some vintage whirling dervish moves. It was the type of situation that should have put the upstart Hawks to the test. But they answered with yet another display of execution and togetherness.

The win capped a week in which the Hawks stomped all three of the teams lurking behind them in the standings. They beat the Wizards by 31 on Sunday, the Raptors by 21 on Friday and now the Bulls.

"They're a great team with the way they move the ball and the way they play defense," Bulls star Derrick Rose said. "They don't have any super, superstars, but they have very good players and they love playing with each other. It shows."

Atlanta has now won 12 straight games for the first time since LBJ was in the White House. The Hawks have won a surreal 26 of 28 since Thanksgiving. Saturday's game marked the halfway point of Atlanta's schedule with a 33rd win. Last year's playoff team won 38 all season. You could go on all night trying to put all this into perspective.

[+] Enlargenba_g_hinrich11_300x300.jpg
Armando L. Sanchez/Chicago Tribune/TNS via GettyWhen former Bull Kyle Korver wasn't guarding former Hawk Kirk Hinrich, he was sinking 7 treys.
Now, and here's the really scary thing, the Hawks head back to Atlanta to finish the month with seven-game homestand.

Only Golden State can rival the collective shooting ability of these Hawks. Kyle Korver is the poster child for that, and he lit up the Bulls for 24 points on just 10 shots. Chicago could not keep track of Korver in transition, and when he's stepping into an unguarded shot, it's a 3-point layup. All seven of Korver's field goals on Saturday came from behind the arc.

Yet, the things that really elevate the Hawks are beyond their bevy of long-range gunners: Unselfishness, and team defense.

The Hawks had 31 assists on 40 field goals on Saturday in what has become almost a matter of course. During the Hawks' just-completed 5-0 week, they topped 30 assists four times. The assists come from all over. Jeff Teague paced the club with 11 in Chicago, but big men Paul Millsap and Al Horford combined for 10, and seven Hawks had at least two.

"It's the unselfishness of these players," Hawks coach Mike Budenholzer said. "They have a high basketball IQ and high character."

Korver, who said this Atlanta team reminds him of the "hungry" bunch from his first year in Chicago, appears to be enjoying himself immensely.

"It's just fun basketball," Korver said. "To me, it's the best kind of basketball. I think a lot of the guys feel that way too."

As for the defense, Atlanta leads the league in defensive efficiency during its 28-game surge despite the lack of the classic, shot-blocking rim defender everyone seems to think they need.

"It's team defense," Korver said. "We have really mobile bigs. They can really move and are intelligent. We can switch up coverages because we have guys who can do that."

The Hawks join Golden State as the only teams to rank in the top five in efficiency on both ends of the court and yet continue to fly under the radar. The most recent Hollinger Playoff Odds give Atlanta an NBA-high 38 percent chance of winning it all, something the Hawks franchise hasn't done since Bob Pettit was their star, and the team played in St. Louis. Heady times indeed.

With the team headed home for the next two weeks, who knows how long this streak will go? Could the starless Hawks really stretch the run to 19? Could the post-Thanksgiving spree run to 33-2? According to Korver, the juggernaut no one is following is only getting started.

"We all truly know we haven't accomplished anything yet," Korver said. "But we feel like we have really good pieces that fit together, and we understand that we have to play together to have success."
FalconKick likes this

Monday, January 19, 2015
Basketball back in the lost city of Atlanta

By Charles Bethea
Special to ESPN.com

nfl_u_harry11_576x324.jpgAfter decades of indifference, the Hawks have pushed basketball back to the forefront in Atlanta.

Once, six years ago, when the Hawks showed a glimmer of hope by starting the season 21-10, I made it my goal to find and attend a Hawks fan club in Atlanta, whatever that might mean. A deep Internet dive led me to a guy called "Bee Moe" who said he was starting one. I wrote him an impassioned email expressing interest from a like soul. He replied: "Well, you would be the first. Let's see what kind of response we get. I will follow up." He never did, despite numerous follow-ups of my own.

This is what it's been like to be an Atlanta Hawks fan in the late 20th and early 21st century: lonely.

Decades ago, during the civil rights movement, it was called "the city too busy to hate." But for years Atlanta has felt more like "the city too busy to root." Fans arrived incredibly late to games, if they come at all. And when they've come, they've most often been presented, over the past two decades, with an unattractive, isolation-heavy style of basketball that -- the thinking went -- befit the few real stars (Dominique Wilkins, Moses Malone) and the many pretenders we've seen here (Joe Johnson, Shareef Abdur-Rahim, Steve Smith: bless their long-dribbling hearts). Meanwhile, homegrown hoops prodigies like Dwight Howard wouldn't touch "Hotlanta" with a 10-foot pole (except in the offseason).

Seven straight playoff berths and hasty, hope-snuffing exits couldn't remedy any of this.

But now, I can say for the first time in my 33 years of being alive and a Hawks fan, we've got a team of non-stars who form a beautiful basketball constellation. DeMarre Carroll, Jeff Teague, Paul Millsap: these are not household names or All-Star shoo-ins. But thanks to their sharing and scrappy intelligence, these Hawks are now being called "Spurs of the East." It's as if the bird itself must be abandoned in order to believe what's being seen: two separate winning streaks (one still going) of nine games or more before the All-Star break; a 28-game stretch with just two losses; the best record in the Eastern Conference (33-8). Yes, it's the weaker conference, but there's this, too: They’ve beaten nearly every top Western team already this season.

But it's also the way the wins have come, through the collective efforts of an unlikely cast of characters sprung from a Tom Robbins novel. We've got a Macedonian hit man draining off-balance 3s; a little German backup point guard with a blond striped head and a skateboard back homejamming over 7-footers; a 33-year-old pure shooter who runs rocks underwater in the offseason and could become the first 50-50-90 player ever; a forward/center who reads Gabriel Garcia Marquez and does yoga when he's not getting triple-doubles; a coach who seems to have downloaded Gregg Popovich's brain, without the mean part; and a bench that goes moose-goggle nuts supporting the team, like every game is the Final Four.

Still, nationally, the Hawks are doubted.

It's not just the team that has historically struggled for legitimacy on the large stage. It's the city, too. And for good reason: In the past 20 years we've had a mayor who went to jail for tax evasion; an Olympics that was both aesthetically and functionally inadequate to visitors and residents alike; a "snowpocalypse" that, most of all, revealed the city's woefully inadequate transit system. We've even given birth to the televised plague of “Honey Boo Boo” and the abortive campaign of the pizza baron turned presidential meteor, Herman Cain. (OK, places just outside of Atlanta led to those last two. But we still get the "credit.")

Atlanta is home to Coca-Cola, Home Depot, Delta and the busiest airport in the world, yes. But a half dozen blue chips and a bunch of airplanes does not a city make. So now, just as the Hawks are finally finding their wings, it's doubly satisfying to see that Atlanta is making progressive moves worthy of its longtime moniker, "Capital of the South."

To name just a few: We finally have an outstanding Civil and Human Rights center worthy of the struggle; we've opened an urban pathway called the BeltLine -- one of the largest urban redevelopment programs underway in the country -- allowing Atlantans to, gasp, walk and bike an old railroad corridor through the famously car-centric city; nationally noteworthy restaurants are popping up right and left, along with craft breweries; long-abandoned or under-utilized buildings are becoming beautiful, multi-functional spaces like Ponce City Market and Krog Street Market; we've got a nice-looking (if expensive) streetcar in place. We've even earned the title of "Hollywood of the South," as tax incentives have made Georgia one of the best states to film in the country. Oh, and our river water and air have gotten cleaner … which won't hurt if we want to see more of those hawks with feathers flying around.

There are, of course, never steps forward without steps back, and we've seen that with both the team -- general manager Danny Ferry's indefinite leave of absence for making racially charged comments last year -- and the city: a massive 2011 public school cheating scandal led to the indictment of the former schools superintendent and is still being addressed. But Atlanta and its basketball team are moving in the right direction. I just emailed Bee Moe, and it sounds like he's finally getting that fan club off the ground.

A writer-at-large at Atlanta, Charles Bethea (@charlesbethea) writes for the New York Times, Outside, Esquire, and The New Republic, among others.

Pistons-Hawks Preview

STATS LLC

The Atlanta Hawks' 12-game winning streak survived through a four-game trip that included stops against two of the better teams in the Eastern Conference.

A home game against the formerly hapless Detroit Pistons, however, might prove to be the greater threat to the run.

The teams meet Monday in Atlanta with the Pistons looking to end the Eastern leader's run while also extending their own road streak to a franchise-record eight games.

The Hawks (33-8) return home after winning games on back-to-back nights in Chicago and Toronto, and Saturday's 107-99 victory over the Bulls matched the franchise's second-longest winning streak. They're two wins away from tying the record of 14 set in the 1993-94 season and have won 26 of 28 dating to Nov. 28.

"I think we're gaining confidence by the game," Kyle Korver said.

That's especially true for Korver, who scored a game-high 24 points against his former team with a 7-of-9 mark from 3-point range. The shooting guard is 39 for 66 (59.1 percent) from long range over the past 10 games.

As a team, the Hawks have made at least 10 3s in eight straight while shooting 46.9 percent.

"I think they enjoy sharing the ball," coach Mike Budenholzer said. "They enjoy playing with each other, and they know that they'll all reap the benefits of it if everybody plays unselfishly."

Jeff Teague has paced that with averages of 19.8 points and 8.5 assists and an assist-to-turnover ratio of 4.27 in the 11 games he's played on the streak. Al Horford has often been on the finishing end with 21.7 points per game on 84.4 percent shooting in the last three games.

There's been plenty of success on the other end of the floor as well. The wins have come by an average of 11.8 points while the Hawks have limited opponents to 93.9 per game and 42.6 percent shooting.

"We're a confident group," Teague said. "We just know if we play the right way and play great defense and be aggressive defensively that we've got a chance to be in any ballgame."

Atlanta is opening a seven-game homestand seeking a third win over the Pistons (16-25) this season, the latest a 106-103 win in Detroit on Jan. 9 behind 19 points and 16 rebounds from Horford.

Since that game, Detroit has gone 4-1 as part of an 11-2 stretch that has it a game out of the final playoff spot in the East after a 5-23 start.

After Saturday night's 107-89 home win over Philadelphia, coach Stan Van Gundy remained guarded.

"I told our guys that we're still only 16-25, and that's a long way from worrying about making the playoffs," he said. "That's just a distraction anyway. We need to be thinking about stopping the pick-and-roll, finding a way to make shots and finding a way to finish games.

"If we do all those things, the wins and the standings will take care of themselves."

The Pistons have also been impressive with their outside shooting, going 15 for 35 against the 76ers. Kyle Singler led the way with a 6-of-8 mark from beyond the arc for a game-high 20 points. They've hit 11.2 per contest while hitting 38.5 percent in the last 13 games.

Brandon Jennings had a quiet night with 10 points in just 22 minutes, but the point guard has had quite a new year with an average of 22.5 points over 10 games in 2015 after scoring 12.9 per game on 37.9 percent shooting in his first 28.

While it was just their sixth win in 21 home games, the Pistons are 10-10 on the road. On the winning streak, they've won by an average of 11.6 points per game with the most noteworthy wins coming in San Antonio, Dallas and Toronto.

Hawks guard Shelvin Mack will miss the game with a left calf strain suffered against Chicago.

*Let's get it boys!!!*

Zone#7 likes this

SportsSouth usually broadcasts it's simulatenously. That might be only tnt games but I think it's both.

And you need to pick a side haha. Last month you were talking about Espn 3 times a day haha

I'm off the Espn thing now I realize that I'd rather this team continue under the radar instead of national spotlight plus it took them too long, but I reserve the right to change my mind.

I'm off the Espn thing now I realize that I'd rather this team continue under the radar instead of national spotlight plus it took them too long, but I reserve the right to change my mind.

I would like ESPN to focus on LeBron, the Knicks, and Kobe. Let the Hawks be under the radar.

Zone#7 and blkbigdog35 like this