Mock 1.0 If Rex Becomes Hc

I have a gut feeling that Rex is our guy next season. I have a preference towards Bowles, however if Rex becomes our new HC, this is roughly how I imagine the offseason will go.

FA:

OLB/ DE Jerry Hughes (27) or Jabaal Sheard (26)

Both are very capable at playing edge rusher in a 3-4. Sheard had a down year so will be available at a good price, he also has youth on his side. Hughes had a career year this season (10 sacks) and will also be available for much less than the Houston's and JPP's on the market. Either one of these players is an upgrade over what we currently have

FB John Connor (28)

Rex Ryan's guy, the "Terminator" is a very solid run blocking fb. Will help bring a much sought after power running game back to the falcons Offense.

TE Charles Clay (26)

IMO one of the most underrated TE's in the league. At times is the Dolphins only threat downfield and is hitting the market at a great age. Would be a great addition at TE.

G Clint Boling (26)

We currently have Blalock who has been a great falcon over the years. His cap hit this season is substantial and with younger and cheaper options on the market I see us parting ways and moving for Boling. Boling has been a key fixture in Cincy's running game and is a very capable pass blocker. I can imagine him looking for a contract along the lines Asamoah took last season when joining the Falcons.

MLB David Harris (31)

​This is Rex's guy. He knows the defense inside and out and has a nasty streak which could really ignite the fight in this defense. He is by no means the answer at MLB but would be a key fixture and leader in helping transform this defense. Signing to a 1-2 year deal worth roughly $2-3 mil annually would be a good deal for both sides.

DT/DE Kenrick Ellis (27)

I believe Babs will likely leave as he is somewhat undersized for a 3-4 D-lineman. Ellis has played under Rex his entire career and offers massive size (346lbs at 6,4) and surprising mobility. The need for a 2nd Nose tackle is also helpful as it is unrealistic to believe Soliai will play every snap. He was a rotational guy in NY so should be relatively fresh to play and it enables us to play our 3-4 ends: Hageman, Jackson, Goodman and Peters in their most suitable positions as apposed to chopping and changing across the front. As a career backup, I can't imagine Ellis's price to be too extreme.

Re-sign:

Bryant (The real Matty Ice)
Spoon (1 year prove it, talented when not injured)
Antone (cheap deal, excellent ST player)
Peters (1 year solid rotation and depth player)
Quizz (Should have a market if hits FA, If can be had cheaply re-sign)
Lowery (1 year cheap deal)
Wilson (1 year cheap deal)
McClain (Good ST player 1 year deal)

Release/ Cut:
Osi (Not worth the figure he is likely after)
Kroy (His past deal I thought was too much! rotation player at best)
Babs (Great falcon but time to part ways)
S.Jax (Hasn't worked out, injury prone)
Arenas (Lots of corners with similar ability)

​Blalock (His salary far outweighs production, Restructure?)

Godfrey (Over the hill)

Yates (His Pick6itis is starting to rub off on Ryan, Get him out of here)

Pascoe (becomes the odd man out with Clay in)

C Matthews (hasn't worked out)

DiMarco (Connor in, DiMarco out)

Schraeder (Look at other options)

Draft

1. OLB Vic Beasley, Clemson (Monster! best first step in the draft)

2. MLB Benardrick McKinney, Miss St. (Many mocks have him going in the second)
3. RB Jay Ajayi, Boise (May shoot up boards after bowl game performance)
4. CB Kevin White TCU (Love this guys fight)

Beyond the 4th i don't know where a lot of guys will project. In previous years I've had players i thought would go in the 7th be gone in the 5th and visa versa. If we draft and get 4 solid starters out of the draft we've done a good job. I honestly see Beasley becoming a star in this league and it would be great to have our own superstar defender that everyones envious of.

This mock may be way off base! Its assuming that Rex Ryan becomes our next HC, however the additions both make sense and add real value to the roster. What do you guys think?

Edited by halifaxfalcon

Offense:

QB- Ryan, Renfree

RB- Ajayi, Quizz, Freeman, Smith
FB- Conner
WR- Jones, White, Douglas, Hester, Weems
TE- Clay, Toilolo
LT- Baker, Scott

LG- Boling, Johnson

C- Hawley, Konz, Stone

RG- Asamoah, Gunn

RT- Matthews, Holmes

DE- Jackson, Goodman

DT- Soliai, Ellis

DE- Hageman, Peters

OLB- Hughes/sheard, Massoquoi

ILB- Harris, Worrilow, Bartu

ILB- Spoon, McKinney, Shembo

OLB- Beasley, Smith, Starr

CB- Trufant, Alford, McClain, White, Wilson, Allen

FS- Lowery, Southward

SS- Moore, Ishmael

K- Bryant

P- Bosher

Edited by halifaxfalcon

I probably wouldn't bring back Quizz and Wilson, I like your draft a lot, Ajayi would be the perfect compliment for Freeman I think. I'm trying to see if Lowery will be brought back, I just wonder if whoever our HC is if they want a ball hawk at FS, or Lowery who is solid. I like your FA additions as well. You forgot your CB Kevin White in your depth chart as well.

I probably wouldn't bring back Quizz and Wilson, I like your draft a lot, Ajayi would be the perfect compliment for Freeman I think. I'm trying to see if Lowery will be brought back, I just wonder if whoever our HC is if they want a ball hawk at FS, or Lowery who is solid. I like your FA additions as well. You forgot your CB Kevin White in your depth chart as well.

I wouldn't ordinarily name 4 rb's but quizz offers solid pass protection that the others lack, and smith is very useful on special teams. He's worth a roster spot for that alone. I agree with you on the FS front as well. Looking at the FA pool however, I'm not particularly sold on any of the available players, rebuilding this roster to a 3-4 would be more than just a 1 season effort but i think my ideas would at least set a foundation moving forward. That's why I left Lowery in.

I didn't go flashy with FA's in the mock either. The top free agents are often overpaid and its unrealistic in my eyes to land a Houston and be able to fill all the other holes in the D as well. We also need to consider Julio's massive contract so we need space available for that.

Good spot, i've added him to the depth chart biggrin.png

Edited by halifaxfalcon

Not a lot you can do with his contract.... well other than trying to restructure.

Cutting him creates way too much dead money and little in cap savings. He is very injury prone and I can think of several players I would rather have but id be very surprised if he's not on the roster next season

Not a lot you can do with his contract.... well other than trying to restructure.

Cutting him creates way too much dead money and little in cap savings. He is very injury prone and I can think of several players I would rather have but id be very surprised if he's not on the roster next season

Convince him to file retirement papers?

Keep Lowery Spoon Wilson Bryant and Peters. Everyone else can waltz. I also like Beasley but I still want Justin Houston here. The only FA's I like of yours are Boling and Connor.

Will R. McClain be a FA after this season? Maybe him and Spoon at mlb instead. Olb's can be JH and Beasley. I'd be pretty happy w that

Schraeder has had too many starts to cut and he is being paid league min.

The point is that you are keeping experience on the bench and that is an

exceptional value on the dollar.

Baker,,,, yeah that has Rich McKays finger prints on it.

But honestly, I think Blank owed money from the Arena League and this was a creative

settlment,,,,,,

You can not justify it any other way.