Everybody's Biggest Gripe About Smith, Rex Has The Same Problem

Robb4242

Clock management.

Rex had as many, if not more issues with clock. Rex is an outstanding defensive coach, and if he's willing to come here as a DC, I'm all for it. But as a head coach, I really believe that we'd be taking a step backwards rather than forward by hiring him.

Quote from 12/22/14 (GangGreen):

Being aware of the game as a whole is what makes a good head coach. Adapting your game plan to counter what the opposing team is giving you, makes a good head coach. Masking your lack of talent by playing good fundamental football, is what makes you a good head coach.Rex Ryan hasn't evolved as a head coach, he's still the defensive mastermind who has no concept of clock management or offensive strategy that we saw in 2009.

Quote from 7/25/14 (NFL.com):

One successful NFC general manager told me via text message this week, "Rex is a confident guy with a big ego. When he got to the Jets, the personnel was pretty good. For some reason, their talent level has fallen off and it will most likely get him fired. How involved was he in picking the players? Plus, he attached himself to (Mark) Sanchez. I don't think he gets another (head-coaching gig). I think he ends up as a defensive coordinator."

Another NFC GM simply wondered, "Is he worth the headache? Can I sell him to my owner? And the last two years have been really rough."

Ryan has struggled with game and clock management. He is a defensive guru and coaches the game as such. He is so wrapped up in his D that he gives full autonomy to his offensive coordinator. When Brian Schottenheimer benched Santonio Holmes in the final game of the 2011 season for feuding with teammates, Rex wasn't even aware.

Quote from 9/9/13 (NY Post):

The Jets nearly lost Sunday’s game with the Buccaneers because of poor clock management, and coach Rex Ryan declined to discuss the snafus at his Monday news conference.

On the Buccaneers’ final offensive series, the Jets failed to call their final timeout immediately after a Doug Martin third-down run. They let between 5-10 seconds tick off the clock as the crowd screamed for them to call timeout. Offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg ran down the sideline, yelling at Ryan to take the timeout before the Buccaneers let the clock run down before their go-ahead field-goal attempt.

*More in the next post, had too many quotes in this and had to divide it.

Quote from 10/12/10 (PFT, NBCSports.com) Thought this was interesting not only because he throws his QB under the bus for running the pass play they called (Jets were winning a close game & decided to throw on 1st down with under 2:10 left on the clock instead of running the ball to get to the 2 minute warning) but it also highlights his offensive philosophy which is not going to go over well here:

“So I don’t mind the play, throwing the football there, that’s fine. The clock is going to be down to two minutes. OK, it doesn’t work. Well, when it was short, now you almost have to pick up the first down. When it was 2:04, it’s like, ‘Oh, great, now we have to pick up a first down.’ So we throw those two incompletions in a row. You know me, I’m normally the most conservative guy, like ****, let’s just run it, let’s just keep pounding it

11/27/14 Peter King MMQB - talking about Jets GM/HC problems:

That’s not to say Ryan has done a good job with what he was given. I don’t think he has. Too many penalties. Too many failures with game management. He’s twice failed to correctly identify and oversee the development of young quarterbacks. Three times he’s failed to hire a good offensive coordinator. The Jets have changed general managers, but they’ve still botched the quarterback and offensive coordinator. Who does that fall on? The head coach.

There are TONS of these type examples, it's almost weekly. Lack of development of players on offense, poor game management, penalties like he's Deangelo Hall going against Steve Smith, the list goes on. If we hire Rex, this organization just hired its worst coach since June Jones was hired.

How does a crap coach get a team to a conference final with a rookie QB two years in a row beating some serious A grade teams along the way. To say this guy is the worst HC this organisation has had since June Jones to me is a flat out mistruth. The jets were nothing before Rex and then happen to make multiple conference finals with Sanchez for gods sake.

Every anti Rex argument highlights his faults whilst skimming over his positives. Yes he has faults but yes he has the ability to turn around our defence quick smart. Your post even quotes someone mentioning Rex has little say in the offence and yet every anti Rex post claims he'll kill our offence. Fuk boys make up your mind.

To me let him come in a revamp the defence. Ideally keep our offensive coaches in place and let Rex turn our 32nd ranked defence into a 10-15 ranked one and watch us go to playoffs. A decent defence will do more for our offence than an offensive minded HC - we are already the 8th ranked offence.

Edited by primetime

Yup. Rex is Smitty if Smitty had charisma and actually knew what to do with a defense.

Clock management, and lack of control over his staff and locker room are big red flags with Rex.

Rex will no doubt fix our D, but what we might gain in D, might lead to the offense regressing, and more game management issues.

The problem is, every candidate maybe save Bowles has major red flags, and even with Bowles we have no idea what his offensive philosophy will be. It will probably be Arians' system but it's still unknown.

Yup. Rex is Smitty if Smitty had charisma and actually knew what to do with a defense.

Clock management, and lack of control over his staff and locker room are big red flags with Rex.

Rex will no doubt fix our D, but what we might gain in D, might lead to the offense regressing, and more game management issues.

The problem is, every candidate maybe save Bowles has major red flags, and even with Bowles we have no idea what his offensive philosophy will be. It will probably be Arians' system but it's still unknown.

This is true. My thing is I don't see how the offense would regress with a good OC. For that matter I woukdnt mind keeping koetter. Just be more balanced with the attack.

How does a crap coach get a team to a conference final with a rookie QB two years in a row beating some serious A grade teams along the way. To say this guy is the worst HC this organisation has had since June Jones to me is a flat out mistruth. The jets were nothing before Rex and then happen to make multiple conference finals with Sanchez for gods sake.

Every anti Rex argument highlights his faults whilst skimming over his positives. Yes he has faults but yes he has the ability to turn around our defence quick smart. Your post even quotes someone mentioning Rex has little say in the offence and yet every anti Rex post claims he'll kill our offence. Fuk boys make up your mind.

To me let him come in a revamp the defence. Ideally keep our offensive coaches in place and let Rex turn our 32nd ranked defence into a 10-15 ranked one and watch us go to playoffs. A decent defence will do more for our offence than an offensive minded HC - we are already the 8th ranked offence.

Rex brought half the Ravens defense with him to NY. He won on defense and had an OC that could run the offense. That team basically had 2 head coaches, Rex was not involved at all with the offense. Once that OC left, Rex could not get another one who could handle all of the burden that was forced on him.

The problem is (as Peter King is quoted as saying in the 2nd post of the thread), Rex knows so little about the offensive side that he CAN'T EVEN HIRE A GOOD OC. The only good OC he had was the one the Jets FO forced him to keep when he was hired.

Smith's biggest flaw isnt even his clock management. Sure it was the focal point this season due to the Lions and Browns screw-ups but if you go over the course of his 7 seasons in the ATL it was far from his biggest flaw.

How about playing the guys that deserved to play. Not just trotting out every veteran or big name on the team. How about playing guys in the correct positions and not setting them up for failure. Or even his conservative mode as soon as we got a huge lead in the 2nd half.

Edited by PriMeTiiMe

I remember saying this three to four years ago about all of our close games and how I was tired of always biting my nails in the 4th quarter. Most people on this board at the time told me they loved how "exciting" the games were. F all that Jazz, I want to blow every team out of the water. Clock management issues are non issues when you're up 30-10 in the 4th quarter. Bring us a defense that we havn't had in decades to go along with the offense we had and clock management problems won't be as glaring.

I remember saying this three to four years ago about all of our close games and how I was tired of always biting my nails in the 4th quarter. Most people on this board at the time told me they loved how "exciting" the games were. F all that Jazz, I want to blow every team out of the water. Clock management issues are non issues when you're up 30-10 in the 4th quarter. Bring us a defense that we havn't had in decades to go along with the offense we had and clock management problems won't be as glaring.

+10