Pay Close Attention To What Osi Says In This Article

MSalmon

http://espn.go.com/blog/atlanta-falcons/post/_/id/11212/players-express-real-emotions-about-mike-smiths-firing

Atlanta Falcons safety Dwight Lowery was in New York when the New York Jets fired then-head coach Eric Mangini. He was in Jacksonville when the Jacksonville Jaguars fired both Jack Del Rio and Mike Mularkey.

Lowery

But there was something remarkably different for Lowery when Mike Smith addressed the team Monday after being released from his contract with the franchise.

The players gave Smith a rousing ovation before he exited.

"It was real," Lowery said. "I don't think there was a man in there that didn't feel what was going on or understand the situation. I was thinking about it when I was traveling home. As a player, I felt bad. I felt like, 'What more could I have done? What more could we have done as a team?' Coach Smith has that kind of effect on you, that you enjoy playing for him. It's just unfortunate this is how the game goes."

Umenyiora

Veteran defensive end Osi Umenyiora also felt remorseful about Smith's fate.

"Nobody was really happy, to be honest with you, because it was just strange," Umenyiora said. "It was messed up to see. He's such a good guy. I have a tremendous amount of respect for him. We all know what he's done. Everybody knows what he accomplished while he was there -- all the wins, all the back-to-back winning seasons.

"The one thing for me that really stood out was that even though he wasn't in control of the defense, I remember watching on the sideline when I wasn't playing, I would see him calling for me to go into the game. He would actually be like, 'Why isn't Osi in the game? Put him in the game.' With all the things that he had to be worried about, for him to actually be worried about getting me in the game, I thought that was really, really cool of him. He's just a good guy. And I'm really, really disappointed with the way things ended up."

Ponder

Peters

While Umenyiora and Lowery have played for other NFL head coaches, defensive lineman Corey Peters' five pro seasons have all been under Smith.

"All the players have a lot of respect for Smitty," Peters said. "I felt like I hated to see him go. And I wished we could have played better and helped him being able to stay. Everybody loved Smitty. He had a very good reputation with all of the players. I can't find one player that will say something bad about him."

Lowery, Umenyiora, and Peters all have expiring contracts. While Umenyiora remains undecided about retirement, both Lowery and Peters would have to adjust to a new coach if they re-sign with the Falcons.

******************************************^^^^^***

I don't know Nolan at all. But reading Osi's comments, massaqui and Osi's comments, I think it was evident that Mike Smith and Mike Nolan had possible issues.

The reason I bring this up is Nolan clashed with coaching staff at Denver and Miami. Is Mike Nolan an egomaniac that always wants to be in charge? Is he the real coach killer?

Either Smith was too deferential to Nolan with regards to the defense, or this is just another case of Osi lobbying for more playing time like he did several times while he was in NY. Who knows for sure. Nolan does have an ego though so I would lean more towards Osi's POV, but I don't know if his statement necessarily proves something unless you ignore his past.

He was the head coach he should be in charge. What is Osi talking about. Was it Nolan then. I think this is big cr*p

I thought it weird. Indeed fat boi or KOG to weigh in. I've never been associated with the game on pro level. But from a real life long time Program Manager perspective, this reaks of internal strife between coach and staff

Either Smith was too deferential to Nolan with regards to the defense, or this is just another case of Osi lobbying for more playing time like he did several times while he was in NY. Who knows for sure. Nolan does have an ego though so I would lean more towards Osi's POV, but I don't know if his statement necessarily proves something unless you ignore his past.

Yeah hard to decipher

I thought it weird. Indeed fat boi or KOG to weigh in. I've never been associated with the game on pro level. But from a real life long time Program Manager perspective, this reaks of internal strife between coach and staff

I have never associated at pro level either. But like any business if there was an internal strife like you suggest, it makes more sense to kick the HC out.

I know you did indicate Denver where Nolan had problem with McDaniels. But it could be McDaniels too. McDaniels had problem with lots of people at Denver.

Irrespective, if a HC cannot control his staff, he should be fired that is a given.

I have never associated at pro level either. But like any business if there was an internal strife like you suggest, it makes more sense to kick the HC out.I know you did indicate Denver where Nolan had problem with McDaniels. But it could be McDaniels too. McDaniels had problem with lots of people at Denver.Irrespective, if a HC cannot control his staff, he should be fired that is a given.

True. That's the way it works in my career. Either the boss handles subordinates, or he's gone. Still sad

All of this sounds like one big fat disfunctional mess. Kinda like this Message Board :unsure: to be honest !

It seems coaching was the issue, what made me relook at this article, was remembering a Blank saying the next coach would have to be a Leader, and that he prioritized that trait over offensive or defensive pedigree

It seems coaching was the issue, what made me relook at this article, was remembering a Blank saying the next coach would have to be a Leader, and that he prioritized that trait over offensive or defensive pedigree

Right, As a head coach you have to hired Asst. coaches who you trust and have your back and, clearly understand what you want for the team. (the old saying, if i'm going down i'm going down my way.)

it's a case where Smitty trusted and gave the keys of the defense to Nolan after the BVG situation.

It also turned out to be Coach Smith undoing.

you bring up an interesting point, as their is a fine line between delegating and ignoral or being remiss in a critical area under your span of control.

All this makes Blanks statements on Leadership being key in the next hire.

everytime i heard Nolan speak he seemed to tell it like it was...money's on Nolan here. Osi's comment, nobody was really happy? was does that mean? someone was 'almost' happy?

Don't know..I'm not privy to internal falcon happenings. I'll say this much from real life experience even malcontents in an organization speak the truth of disturbing things within an organization. Usually from their subjective perspective, but usually still a truthful evaluation of a dysfunctional organization. Couple his, Massaquisvand blanks statements on Leadership you gotta wonder if Nolan and Smitty had a power struggle. Which if they did that can derail a team or organization, and cause a lack of harmony and dysfunction in the office (or field)

All of this sounds like one big fat disfunctional mess. Kinda like this Message Board unsure.png to be honest !

But we're, like, free lancing our participation and they're like, you know, getting paid millions to get it together. I think the functionality of this Message Board is light years ahead of the crappy team I saw get curb stomped 34-3 last weekend.

http://espn.go.com/blog/atlanta-falcons/post/_/id/11212/players-express-real-emotions-about-mike-smiths-firing

Atlanta Falcons safety Dwight Lowery was in New York when the New York Jets fired then-head coach Eric Mangini. He was in Jacksonville when the Jacksonville Jaguars fired both Jack Del Rio and Mike Mularkey.

Lowery

But there was something remarkably different for Lowery when Mike Smith addressed the team Monday after being released from his contract with the franchise.

The players gave Smith a rousing ovation before he exited.

"It was real," Lowery said. "I don't think there was a man in there that didn't feel what was going on or understand the situation. I was thinking about it when I was traveling home. As a player, I felt bad. I felt like, 'What more could I have done? What more could we have done as a team?' Coach Smith has that kind of effect on you, that you enjoy playing for him. It's just unfortunate this is how the game goes."

Umenyiora

Veteran defensive end Osi Umenyiora also felt remorseful about Smith's fate.

"Nobody was really happy, to be honest with you, because it was just strange," Umenyiora said. "It was messed up to see. He's such a good guy. I have a tremendous amount of respect for him. We all know what he's done. Everybody knows what he accomplished while he was there -- all the wins, all the back-to-back winning seasons.

"The one thing for me that really stood out was that even though he wasn't in control of the defense, I remember watching on the sideline when I wasn't playing, I would see him calling for me to go into the game. He would actually be like, 'Why isn't Osi in the game? Put him in the game.' With all the things that he had to be worried about, for him to actually be worried about getting me in the game, I thought that was really, really cool of him. He's just a good guy. And I'm really, really disappointed with the way things ended up."

Ponder

Peters

While Umenyiora and Lowery have played for other NFL head coaches, defensive lineman Corey Peters' five pro seasons have all been under Smith.

"All the players have a lot of respect for Smitty," Peters said. "I felt like I hated to see him go. And I wished we could have played better and helped him being able to stay. Everybody loved Smitty. He had a very good reputation with all of the players. I can't find one player that will say something bad about him."

Lowery, Umenyiora, and Peters all have expiring contracts. While Umenyiora remains undecided about retirement, both Lowery and Peters would have to adjust to a new coach if they re-sign with the Falcons.

******************************************^^^^^***

I don't know Nolan at all. But reading Osi's comments, massaqui and Osi's comments, I think it was evident that Mike Smith and Mike Nolan had possible issues.

The reason I bring this up is Nolan clashed with coaching staff at Denver and Miami. Is Mike Nolan an egomaniac that always wants to be in charge? Is he the real coach killer?

He's a control freak

But we're, like, free lancing our participation and they're like, you know, getting paid millions to get it together. I think the functionality of this Message Board is light years ahead of the crappy team I saw get curb stomped 34-3 last weekend.

Lol true

He's a control freak

Nolan or Smitty? I knew you would know lol

Which explains the TD/Smith personnel empass Blank referred to in his presser.

Nolan beheaded his general, then immediately fell on his own sword.

We all knew Smitty was loyal to a fault unsure.png ! And ultimately to his own demise. sadwave.001.gifemot-doh.gifshrug.001.gif

it's a case where Smitty trusted and gave the keys of the defense to Nolan after the BVG situation.

It also turned out to be Coach Smith undoing.

Never give too much power to a subordinate. It just might be your undoing !

Which explains the TD/Smith personnel empass Blank referred to in his presser.

Nolan beheaded his general, then immediately fell on his own sword.

We all knew Smitty was loyal to a fault :unsure: ! And ultimately to his own demise. :sadwave::doh::shrug:

Never give too much power to a subordinate. It just might be your undoing !

It looks that way...