The Official Rex Ryan Thread - Please Keep Rex Related Posts In Here!

JT

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm actually warming up to the idea of Rex Ryan......some.

I still prefer Dan Quinn and/or Todd Bowles over Rex, but I do believe Ryan would work hard to field a better defense than what we have right now.

we fired a man that was 10-22 the last two years. But of course that doesn't fit your agenda and the reason you had to go all the way back to 2012. Join us in 2015

So that means you will not bring up Rex's success in 2009 and 10 then right????? because if you only go back 2 years for Smitty you have to do the same for Rex......./and that would make any argument for wanting him sounds pretty silly..

So that means you will not bring up Rex's success in 2009 and 10 then right????? because if you only go back 2 years for Smitty you have to do the same for Rex......./and that would make any argument for wanting him sounds pretty silly..

find one post of mines that I have brought up 2009 or 2010 in referring to Rex. You won't. I go back two years. Thank you

yeah it really is. Mike Smith can't hold Rex Ryan clipboard as far as a coach. Not even. As a HC both have serious flaws. But Rex is in a different universe when it comes to coaching defense

Really???

would you like for me to pull up form the the Jags defensive numbers when Smitty was the DC??

Ryan called the defense in NY but Smitty did not call the defense here.

If Rex was so good he would have had a winning season in the last 4 year and his *** would not have been FIRED.

Really???

would you like for me to pull up form the the Jags defensive numbers when Smitty was the DC??

If Rex was so good he would have had a winning season in the last 4 year and his *** would not have been FIRED.

go ahead and find them. While you are at it look at Rex Ryan defenses from the time he started as a Defensive Coordinator in Baltimore. Look at the Jets defensive rankings in 2008 and 2009(2009 being Rex first year as HC) Rex is a great defensive coach. He hasn't been a good HC. I have always said that. know what you're talking about

Mike Smith:

2008 defense: Overall #24 Pass: #21 Rush: #25
2009 defense: Overall #21 Pass: #28 Rush: #12
2010 defense: Overall #16 Pass: #22 Rush: #10
2011 defense: Overall #12 Pass: #20 Rush: # 6
2012 defense: Overall #24 Pass: #23 Rush: #21
2013 defense: Overall #27 Pass: #21 Rush: #31
2014 defense: Overall #32 Pass: #32 Rush: #21

--------------------------------------------

Rex Ryan:

2009 defense: Overall # 1 Pass: # 1 Rush: # 8
2010 defense: Overall # 3 Pass: # 6 Rush: # 3
2011 defense: Overall # 5 Pass: # 5 Rush: #13
2012 defense: Overall # 8 Pass: # 2 Rush: #26
2013 defense: Overall #11 Pass: #22 Rush: # 3
2014 defense: Overall # 6 Pass: #14 Rush: # 5

Mike Smith:

2008 defense: Overall #24 Pass: #21 Rush: #25

2009 defense: Overall #21 Pass: #28 Rush: #12

2010 defense: Overall #16 Pass: #22 Rush: #10

2011 defense: Overall #12 Pass: #20 Rush: # 6

2012 defense: Overall #24 Pass: #23 Rush: #21

2013 defense: Overall #27 Pass: #21 Rush: #31

2014 defense: Overall #32 Pass: #32 Rush: #21

--------------------------------------------

Rex Ryan:

2009 defense: Overall # 1 Pass: # 1 Rush: # 8

2010 defense: Overall # 3 Pass: # 6 Rush: # 3

2011 defense: Overall # 5 Pass: # 5 Rush: #13

2012 defense: Overall # 8 Pass: # 2 Rush: #26

2013 defense: Overall #11 Pass: #22 Rush: # 3

2014 defense: Overall # 6 Pass: #14 Rush: # 5

now post the most important state...... scoring defense

And your rush defense is wrong

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/SmitMi0.htm

Smitty has been a DC or head coach for 12 years..... his scoring defenses have finished less than 14th 4 times

he has 6 top 10 finishes and a 11th finish.

His defenses also have been in the top half of the nfl in turnovers for 7 of his 12 years.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/RyanRe0.htm

Ryan has been a DC or HC for 10 years his scoring defense's have finished less than 14th 5 times

4 out his his 6 years Ryan's scoring defense has finished 19th or less

3 out of his 6 years Rex's defense in NY finished in the bottom 3rd in terms of turnovers.

SO yeah,,,, there is that.

I have heard plenty of evidence that supports why Rex Ryan would make a good DC. I haven't heard much at all supporting why he would make a good HC.

Is Rex highly organized and able to effectively delegate authority?

Does he possess a strategic mind and able to quickly process info and make sound decisions in the heat of battle?

Has he shown that he can put together a coaching staff that is competent and will mesh well together?

Is he an effective communicator, both with his players and his coaches?

There is much more to being a successful NFL HC than showing "fire" and being entertaining at press conferences. The fact that all the usual short attention span, style-over-substance posters - the ones who wax nostalgic over Jerry Glanville and clamor for every Dunta Robinson and Steven Jackson who come down the pike only to turn on them just as quickly and rabidly - are now banging the drum for Sexy Rexy does not instill confidence in me that he is the best choice.

You make some good point and some shaky ones.

- There is no evidence that Ryan is organized and can effectively delegate responsibilities.

- There is lots of evidence that Ryan has a good feel for the game, but there is also evidence as to his poor clock management, though nowhere near the disaster that we had as a HC.

- He has not been able to put a good staff together on the offensive side, though it is difficult to know how much latitude he was given in having his way.

But he also has positives that you are leaving out.

- Many people consider him the brightest and most creative football mind on the defensive side of the ball.

- He has fire and is a great motivator, and capable to instil confidence in his players, and keep them engaged.

- He has a 4-2 playoff record with a crappy offense, and on only two playoff appearances, while Smith has a 1-4 record in 4 tries. This says that the guy has a strategic mind and can game plan in important games, something that we consistently lacked.

- He has the character to control the locker room in a way that would allow us to ease the falcon filter. People keep talking about his clown acts, but they forget that by doing so he shifts the limelight away from his team and on himself.

The problem is you can never find a HC that is a hit on all these characteristics. What really concerns me is Ryan's ability to put together a good and creative offensive staff, and to give them enough freedom to operate.

go ahead and find them. While you are at it look at Rex Ryan defenses from the time he started as a Defensive Coordinator in Baltimore. Look at the Jets defensive rankings in 2008 and 2009(2009 being Rex first year as HC) Rex is a great defensive coach. He hasn't been a good HC. I have always said that. know what you're talking about

Fair enough.. I posted them above

Smittys defenses in Jacksonville were pretty **** good........ compare that to what it was when he left

Let's also take into account that pick 6s, fumbles return for TDs, kick and punt return for TDs all go against the defense. That's why yards is important too. Scoring defense is the most important though. Not many teams were driving 80 yards for a TD on a Rex Ryan defense. And Rex had the superior defenses when both him and Smitty were DCs and when they were HCs. So Rex is a better defensive coach than Mike Smith like I said.

Really???

Smitty was also running del rio's philosophy of defense. His personal philosophy is more of a Tampa 2 philosophy. A DC runs the philosophy of the head coach.

Let's also take into account that pick 6s, fumbles return for TDs, kick and punt return for TDs all go against the defense. That's why yards is important too. Scoring defense is the most important though. Not many teams were driving 80 yards for a TD on a Rex Ryan defense. And Rex had the superior defenses when both him and Smitty were DCs and when they were HCs. So Rex is a better defensive coach than Mike Smith like I said.

ehhh that would be true except for the fact that Rex's defense were bottom half of nfl in terms of Rushing tds and passing td's

And teams were not driving 80 yards and scoring td's on us either.

They would drive 80 yards and have to settle for FG's.

ehhh that would be true except for the fact that Rex's defense were bottom half of nfl in terms of Rushing tds and passing td's

And teams were not driving 80 yards and scoring td's on us either.

They would drive 80 yards and have to settle for FG's.

you weren't getting many yards at all against the Jets. Their offense put them in bad spots almost every game. That's why so many in New York didn't want him fired. That's why Woody Johnson was hesitant to fire him. The man flat out gets it done on defense. Offense and time management are his Achilles heel

And the numbers simply do not bare out Ryan being so "superior"

But hey we all have our opinions.

Fair enough.. I posted them above

Smittys defenses in Jacksonville were pretty **** good........ compare that to what it was when he left

Rex has a better overall feel for the game than Smitty. Mike gets nervous and goes in retreat mode. Rex gets mad and makes changes to get his defense to stop the leaks. Smith lacks good halftime adjustments. We've all complained about that since he got here.

To me the better overall coach is Rex but Atl has been the more talented team. We've had talent since Dan Reeves was coach on thru Mora down to Smith. Something the jets fell off of after tuna left offensively. They had a little talent on offense that Mangini brought in which Rex had adding Sanchez but shortly after they were devoid of wr's. Can't win with nobody to throw to.