The Official Rex Ryan Thread - Please Keep Rex Related Posts In Here!

Yea I agree. I dont think that we are rebuilding. The offensive pieces we need are OL and RB. Rex has had a top 6 running game in 4 out of 6 years I believe. He knows how to build an OL and a Running game.

And we know he knows how to build a defense.

Add to that his intensity that is sorely needed on this team.

He's not the perfect coach but he may be the perfect coach for our situation.

Edited by ATLFalcons11
  • Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea I agree. I dont think that we are rebuilding. The offensive pieces we need are OL and RB. Rex has had a top 6 running game in 4 out of 6 years I believe. He knows how to build an OL and a Running game.

Bingo. My thoughts exactly.

OK, I just watched the "foot fetish" video.

It is nothing. He pretended to be a stranger talking to a woman about her pretty feet. The woman was his wife. She was fully clothed, with jeans and a green shirt. They simply talked about how pretty the feet were, and soft.

Kind of funny. Not risque or weird, more of a funny joke. Along the same lines as wearing a wig and mocking his brother.

Rex is somebody who has personality. He's also a kick azz coach. Me personally, I don't see a problem. Who knows how ultra-conservative Blank feels though.

Edited by DriveHomeSafelyAtlantaWins

Look when the problem started tho. 2011 When he lost offensive talent. A defense can only defend the field but for so long. Eventually they start giving it up. 3 and outs wear a defense down. What are the offensive stats for those years? Those defensive stats will make more sense in the whole picture.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2011/

2011 the jets were top 10 in passing tds and 13th in rushing tds

they were 17th in first downs

they were 18th in qb rating

So they jets offense while not lighting it up, they were below average they were not bare bottom of the league

now 2012... yeah that was rough.

Glanville seemed to be all sizzle and no steak. We were never a solid football team under him, but we had boatloads of (worthless) "swagger".

I don't see Rex that way at all. He comes to win, and his defenses play great football. That comes first with him, and all the "personality" is second.

So no, I don't see Rex as Glanville 2.0. I see him doing much better than Glanville.

That's false. We are not rebuilding. We are retooling. Our offense didn't suck. With all the injuries we still were top 10 and top 5 in all major offensive categories. The problem was the defense gave up more points than the offense scored. If we had a defense that was averaging around 17 points a game we'd be in the playoffs right now. Offense scored 23.8 points a game and the D have up 26.1. Can't win like that.

I didn't say we sucked. I said we weren't good. We were 12 in scoring for ppg and total points which is tied with the Giants. On offense we will need to upgrade several positions RB, FB, TE, LG, & RT. Not to mention resupply us with adequate depth, which has been awful for a long time. Our defense is a complete train wreck and that in itself is a complete overhaul. Team is in a rebuilding period. Good thing is we have some core people to build around and veteran leadership to bring it together.

With Rex Ryan as a head coach it will not be long before the offensive side of the ball is in shambles. Rex is the type of coach that can come in and push your team over the hump, kind of like John Gruden, but he cannot build and maintain a successful roster like a Tony Dungy or a Belichick.

So they jets offense while not lighting it up, they were below average they were not bare bottom of the league

The most important stat you're leaving off is the offense only converted 34% on 3rd down which puts the stress back on the defense. Those rankings were yardage. They were also -3 in the to ratio.

Here is the thing about this............... While we have exponentially more talent than the jets had at any point of his tenure... particularly on offense ... some of the same things that haunted him in NY......... have happened here the last couple of years.

IE the offense not being able to stay on the field, going 3 and out, turning the ball over, dropped passes etc etc.

Again if he is hired... I may not be sold but I would welcome into the Falcon family and hope to **** he does well.

I just am worried people are going to expect a savior of the defense..... and I am not sure he will be it......... I have no doubt he will make an improvement for the jury is still out in my mind on exactly how much of an improvement he will make.

Darrin walls was one of their main corners his year haha

And a big reason why is because they started him and benched 1st round pick Dee Milner.

I will say i think his defense is a little bit overrated on this board. His PPG like you stated hasn't been good for a while and because he plays Brady tough (which most division opponents do play each other tough), but I will agree that having a crap offense definitely has something to do with it. I don't doubt that he has a much better defensive mind that Smitty

Mark Sanchez was their QB... He had a 78 QB Rating on the year...

Their running game had a 3.8 YPC...

2 of their top WRS were Plaxico Burress and Derrick Mason with an average age of 35.5 years old. (Santonio Holmes being the other)

Their average offensive drive lasted 5 plays and 2:26 in TOP.

Even still, They were 8-5 going into their final 3 games before collapsing.

Here is the thing about this............... While we have exponentially more talent than the jets had at any point of his tenure... particularly on offense ... some of the same things that haunted him in NY......... have happened here the last couple of years.

IE the offense not being able to stay on the field, going 3 and out, turning the ball over, dropped passes etc etc.

Again if he is hired... I may not be sold but I would welcome into the Falcon family and hope to **** he does well.

I just am worried people are going to expect a savior of the defense..... and I am not sure he will be it......... I have no doubt he will make an improvement for the jury is still out in my mind on exactly how much of an improvement he will make.

Its not hard to improve on Smitty's defense. Our defense looked as bad as it did as a direct result of Smitty neglecting the need for pass rushers in a passing league, which is insane. If we just get a sane head coach, thats an improvement on defense.

So injuries are an acceptable excuse for Rex?????? That never held water for Smitty, not even in 2013 with his 1st losing season here.

Smitty got another chance in 2014 because it seemed to be the reason for the 2013 season.

However in 2014 while we still had a ton of injuries, His Clock management is what ultimately did him in. We would be in the playoffs and not even looking at coach Candidates this second if he does not blow the Cleveland and Detroit game.

Edited by PriMeTiiMe

Not sure if I agree with building an oline. Ferguson and Mangold were already in place before he got there.

Smitty got another chance in 2014 because it seemed to be the reason for the 2013 season.

However in 2014 while we still had a ton of injuries, His Clock management is what ultimately did him in. We would be in the playoffs and not even looking at coach Candidates this second if he does not blow the Cleveland and Detroit game.

Smitty got another chance by the ownership here in 2014, but this MB was pretty much dead set against him based off of 1 losing, injury filled season. How will they react if Rex doesn't bring in the right OC or has key injuries and we go 4-12 or worse next year?

Rex is our man folks. Blank don't step on your weenie. Get your money back from Korn Ferry and cancel the search. Ask him if he thinks Dimi is the right GM. If he says yeah, keep him. If not, kick him to the curb. I'll gladly drive him out to the state line.

"ProFootball talk is reporting 49ers and Falcons..."

"He'd be awesome in Atlanta."

"Reported on Sunday Rex Ryan was very intrigued by the possibility of coaching the Falcons."

"Atlanta is a better fit for Rex; they have a proven Quarterback"

"I read somewhere Atlanta might go after Trestman for OC."

"Go to Atlanta and whoop some *** rex!! I'd be very happy for him. They would be scary with a Rex defense, could easily win that division for years to come."

"Trestman/rex is a very interesting combination. I think that could revitalize Atlanta."

"Matt Ryan is probably the qb Rex needed here"

"...his attack style, down field offense would be perfect in Atlanta."

"I hope he gets the atl job. That roster is made for rex Ryan. Wish him nothing but the best"

"They definitely have the talent positions taken care all they need is ol and big rb."

"But outside of corners they have less then nothing on d side of the ball."

"Im gunna miss this guy, and I know if he goes to Atlanta he will have that immediate success because he will takeover a fairly good roster similar to the team he inherited back in 2009."

http://forums.theganggreen.com/threads/rex-interviewing-for-2-open-head-coach-positions.83008/page-2

Bringing on 2 coaches that were great defensively that have worked together is the worst idea ever?

I will say one last thing in this thread. Everybody on here thinks Smith is some conservative bend but don't break defensive guy. The reality is he was never that type of DC. The worst the Jags ever ranked with him as DC was 12th. And I'm talking about yards allowed, not points, so it pretty much squashes the bend but don't break philosophy posters attribute to him. His defenses gave up the 6th, 11th, 6th, 2nd, and 12th LEAST yards in the NFL over the 5 seasons he was DC. They gave up over 20ppg only once, and that was 20.7. His defense AVERAGED under 18 ppg and under 300 yards over 5 seasons.

So he was great when he worked under Rex Ryan...and he was great when he worked under Jack Del Rio...ever think that, I don't know, maybe those two are great coaches and not Mike Smith?

Let's test that theory. Where did the three defenses rank these men were associated with? Jack Del Rio: 3rd. Rex Ryan: 6th. Mike Smith: 32nd.

Case closed.

I didn't say we sucked. I said we weren't good. We were 12 in scoring for ppg and total points which is tied with the Giants. On offense we will need to upgrade several positions RB, FB, TE, LG, & RT. Not to mention resupply us with adequate depth, which has been awful for a long time. Our defense is a complete train wreck and that in itself is a complete overhaul. Team is in a rebuilding period. Good thing is we have some core people to build around and veteran leadership to bring it together.

I disagree. A rebuild would be losing Matt Ryan and Julio and starting from scratch. We're not starting from scratch. All that can be dealt with in FA and the draft. We dont NEED. A LG yet but we could go after lupati. We need a back. Don't really need a TE because the offense is centered around our receivers more than a TE. That's not his roll. The defense was completely used wrong. An ace like Rex will bring in his type of players along with the talent we have. The defense wasn't a mess itself because there is talent. That bs Nolan was running was the problem. They were forcing square pegs into circles. Something Rex would never do. Secondary is fine. Need a MLB and edge rushers. That's it. Get needs in FA and BPA in the draft. Edited by TheFatboi

Smitty got another chance by the ownership here in 2014, but this MB was pretty much dead set against him based off of 1 losing, injury filled season. How will they react if Rex doesn't bring in the right OC or has key injuries and we go 4-12 or worse next year?

Won't matter if its Rex, Bowles, or Jesus himself if we go 4-12 people on a message board are going to complain and want them fired. It's not just Falcons fans, It's all fans. Its normal.

Does not mean Arthur Blank cares. If he did, He would have fired Mike Smith after 2013.