The Official Rex Ryan Thread - Please Keep Rex Related Posts In Here!

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Name a single defense that has never once been gashed. Everyone has bad games.

The Rams with Austin Davis at QB gashed the Seahawks this year for 463 yards and 28 points.

The Chargers 377 yards and 30 points

The Cowboys 401 yards and 30 points

The OAKLAND RAIDERS put up 24 points on the Seahawks. Charles ran for 160 yards against the Hawks.

Do you get my point? No defense is perfect for 16 games every season.

Ofcourse, I know that.... I am usually the one pointing out that sort of thing.

This past year though the jets had 5 games where they gave up 30+ points..... that is not just a one off.. that has happened several times.

In case you haven't heard Blank sent the Filter packing with Smitty.

Last I heard, Blank said to **** with the filter. We are passing up on too many good players. As long as we get a coach who can control them, and Rex is that coach.

I hope this is the case. I don't want any axe-murderers down here but trying to have every player and coach nice enough to teach kindergarten was hurting this organization.

All the good chats we have thru the weeks and it took the saints saying the same things I was saying all day for you to be open to the idea?? Lol. D@mn bro!!

hahahaha nah man,,,, you have made some compelling arguments.

And I have always said I love the idea of what he could do with Trufant, but I was still unsure.... and I still am .. I think he is getting a bit overrated in terms of just how good the jets defense was for most of the 6 years.....

We will jsut have to see.. if he is indded the next coach I am going to cheer like **** that he does well.

People hating on Rex and haven't really given a reason why.

Will he bring a top defense to Atlanta? Simple yes or no.

Did he take a team to the AFC Champ game twice? One with a Rookie QB?

Does he get players to play for him?

46-50 overall record. He has 2 winning seasons in his 6 years. (2 losing and 2 even). He had 6 years to do something about that offense. He may be a defensive wizard but has no clue on offense. Do you guys think he is the only coach that can bring toughness to this team? I would like to see how many of you that want him, DIDNT watch hard knocks. I know guys love his personality especially from that show.

Rex is the safest option out there. He's got an offense in place that is top 10 and would easily be top 5 with a decent defense. Rex knows defense like nobody's business. Trust he'd know exactly who to bring in and what scheme to run to get a pass rush and our secondary is pretty impressive, people just don't know it yet...

A lot of stuff is being said about how great of defense's he has had.

I think some people overlook the fact that very honestly his defenses have been mediocre out side of his 2009 & 2010 defense.

Here are his points allowed rankings for the 6 years he was there in NY

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?seasonType=REG&offensiveStatisticCategory=null&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=1&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=TOTAL_POINTS_GAME_AVG&tabSeq=2&season=2014&role=OPP&Submit=Go&archive=false&conference=null&defensiveStatisticCategory=SCORING&qualified=false

The jets ranked 24th in points allowed in 2014

19th in 2013

20th in 2012

20th in 2011

6th in 2010

1st in 2009

His defenses do get more sacks than we got but they actually get less turnovers than we go

His jets were dead last in ints in 2014

22nd in 2013

23rd in 2012

tied with us for 10 in 2011

25th in 2010

and 13th in 2009

So while I am warming up to he idea of him being here I think the perception is that the ONLY issue he had in NY was the offense but in reality his defenses were not always as good as people think.

I do like his defensive mind and he would do good things with some of our young guys on D but I am still not totally sold on him.

Look when the problem started tho. 2011 When he lost offensive talent. A defense can only defend the field but for so long. Eventually they start giving it up. 3 and outs wear a defense down. What are the offensive stats for those years? Those defensive stats will make more sense in the whole picture.

Ofcourse, I know that.... I am usually the one pointing out that sort of thing.

This past year though the jets had 5 games where they gave up 30+ points..... that is not just a one off.. that has happened several times.

Denver, San Diego and Green Bay. Those 3 all have potent offenses, Especially if your defense is on the field all day against those teams.

They had 2 turrible games against the Bills which are inexcusable.

Fire Mike Smith for his poor defense and horrible game adjustments. THAN, hire him back to be your defensive coordinator? Wow. This is a new low. This is why the franchise will never be where it needs to be because of the marks on here who say stuff like this. We just want to be mediocre at BEST. Mike Smith, thanks for ******* up the defense but since your such a nice guy, please be our defensive coordinator.

Right.

I wanted Smith gone years ago because I saw his neglect on defense. It doesn't matter how good Matt Ryan, Roddy White and Julio Jones are. You don't win in the playoffs without a defense. And Smith didn't know defense.

We're in a passing league and, as Blank's press conference made clear, Smitty refused to place due importance on a pass rush. He needs to go back to the Jaguars with that crap.

Edited by David Deas

Why would you ask your friends who's teams are in the playoffs tho. They can't imagine that the right way. Anyway I couid care less. It scares the h3ll out of the saints. Go to their message board.

It was a hypothetical question. If I asked the same question about Belichick do you think I would get the same answers, even from the guys with their teams in the playoffs? Like I said, it was a hypotetical question relating to the topic in this thread.

Belicheck was the the HC of the Browns for 4 or 5 seasons.

And I was thinking of Mike Smith and in my head I was thinking 7...my bad

You're right about Belichick, it was 5 years with Browns, my mistake. Either way his tenure there wasn't a success. One winning season out of five for a record of 3644. No worries I still have nightmares about Smith too lol. I think the majority of my issues with Rex are the similaties I see in coaching in relation to Smith. Bad clock management, red zone play, inept OC, etc. The eery thing about this all is the Jets were the Anti-Falcons. Terrible offense, good defense. Problem is, our offense isn't good either. We are in a a rebuilding period. If all we do is build a defense then we will still lose. We need a new scheme, one suited to our players, this will take a great OC to tailor to us. We will also need a few new offensive players, not to mention a complete Defensive overhaul. With Ryan I don't worry a out the D, I worry about everything else.

Some of the bad ppg rankings are due to sorry as offenses.

Post up the defensive yards allowed stats to get a clearer picture.

Buddy is an as beater on defense. Trust me.

Him with Ice and it's on.

That's a very good point. Here are the Jets' yd/play ranking for those years:

2009: 1st

2010: 3rd

2011: 5th

2012: 7th

2013: 9th

2014: 13th

And 3rd down:

2009: 1st

2010: 10th

2011: 4th

2012: 12th

2013: 13th

2014: 30th

I still think that's a pretty good record.

He was playing 3rd string corners for most of the year because of injuries this season. I'm curious if the Jets offense leads the league in 3 and outs.

Not sure, I do know they were not good in getting first downs,

they only had 289, but then again the cards only had 302 first downs on offense they still ranked better in defense.

Rex Ryan is a defensive coordinator. He doesn't know enough about all the other aspects of running a football organization to be a head coach. There are only so many excuses you can make for a guy who put out on the football field the sort of unprepared football team that he did week in and week out.

Love him as a DC, but never as a HC.

Edited by David Deas

You're right about Belichick, it was 5 years with Browns, my mistake. Either way his tenure there wasn't a success. One winning season out of five for a record of 3644. No worries I still have nightmares about Smith too lol. I think the majority of my issues with Rex are the similaties I see in coaching in relation to Smith. Bad clock management, red zone play, inept OC, etc. The eery thing about this all is the Jets were the Anti-Falcons. Terrible offense, good defense. Problem is, our offense isn't good either. We are in a a rebuilding period. If all we do is build a defense then we will still lose. We need a new scheme, one suited to our players, this will take a great OC to tailor to us. We will also need a few new offensive players, not to mention a complete Defensive overhaul. With Ryan I don't worry a out the D, I worry about everything else.

That's false. We are not rebuilding. We are retooling. Our offense didn't suck. With all the injuries we still were top 10 and top 5 in all major offensive categories. The problem was the defense gave up more points than the offense scored. If we had a defense that was averaging around 17 points a game we'd be in the playoffs right now. Offense scored 23.8 points a game and the D have up 26.1. Can't win like that. Edited by TheFatboi

Yard mean little

Yards allowed /gained are the single most over rated stat.

They allowed Kyle Orton and the bills to drop 40+ on them this year and Orton only had 240 or so yards but had 4 tds.... If I am a qb and you give me the option of a 240 yard game with 4 tds and a 350 yard game with 1 td... I ... like anyone else that is sane will take the 240 and 4 tds every week.

That's sounds bad until you realize the awful Jets offense had 6 turnovers that game. It's hard for any defense to overcome that.