Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JT

The Official Rex Ryan Thread - Please Keep Rex Related Posts In Here!

1,789 posts in this topic

They like him as a person not as a coach. Been looking at their message boards too. This one comment stands out to me as a big red flag.. "I love Rex as well but its time for a change...enough with a clueless offense...burning timeouts...stupid 12 men penalties...loyalty and stubbornness to a fault a defense that can't buy a turnover...3rd and long conversions...inept red zone play etc etc"... This hits way to close to home when I think of how Smith ran this team.

Most of which is the fault of legitimate subpar talent and a disconnect between HC and GM

Bring him in and lets see what he can do. I bet the fans in Seattle weren't to thrilled when the Seahawks brought in Pete Carroll.

Rex has brought in and coached up Muhammad Wilkerson and Sheldon Richardson and a boatload of others

I don't remember hearing anything about Revis until Rex Ryan came as well. I could be wrong on that one tho, but he is crazy about that statement.

Mike smith and Dimitrof also took over what McKay and Mora built. Harbaugh took over what Nolan and Singletary built. Happens with every new HC. They drafted a qb just like Rex. Took those teams to the playoffs just like Rex. The difference was we lost a lot of our talent AFTER Rex did. He started lossing talent in 2011. We lost ours in 2013. He had 4 years with lesser talent and we had 2. He still went 8-8 with no offensive talent twice AND beat us. As for turnovers that doesn't bother me so much. His defense still kept his offense in the game. Had that been our offense with that defense we'd come out on top. And if you have a top OC in the booth in ok with him making defensive adjustments. H3ll koetter coukd handle things while he's making sure the defense gets right. And also it's a fact he's only had 2 losing seasons. Same as mike smith but with lesser talent.

Smith took over a 4-12 team drafted a QB and went 11-5.

Rex took over a 9-7 team drafted a QB and went 9-7.

In 2011 The Jets had Mark Sanchez, LaDamien Tomlinson, Plexico, Santonio, 3 pro bowl OLine men in Ferguson, Mangold, and Brandon Moore. They were not a team with no offensive talent. They went 8-8 but 6 I those 8 wins were against teams with a record under .500 and the other 2 were against teams that finished with a record of .500. And since when is going 8-8 considered a winning season, didn't we have to go 9-7 to have back to back winning seasons. If you don't win more then you lose then you did not win.

dirtybirds808 likes this

In 2011 The Jets had Mark Sanchez, LaDamien Tomlinson, Plexico, Santonio, 3 pro bowl OLine men in Ferguson, Mangold, and Brandon Moore. They were not a team with no offensive talent. They went 8-8 but 6 I those 8 wins were against teams with a record under .500 and the other 2 were against teams that finished with a record of .500. And since when is going 8-8 considered a winning season, didn't we have to go 9-7 to have back to back winning seasons. If you don't win more then you lose then you did not win.

Nobody said it was a winning season. We said that it wasn't a losing season.

In terms of record that is a .500 record which is considered even, in the middle, average.

Not below average or above average which equates to losing or winning.

All of those listed are coaching issues, not GM issues.

Clueless offense or horrible QB's? The latter.

Inept redzone play? Who were they going to score with?

People have tried to make the talent argument for the Falcons but the Jets are the prime example of being talentless.

Nobody said it was a winning season. We said that it wasn't a losing season.

In terms of record that is a .500 record which is considered even, in the middle, average.

Not below average or above average which equates to losing or winning.

Yes, it's been implied several times.

Yes, it's been implied several times.

No it hasn't. Nobody implied anything about 8-8 being a winning season.

Every comment towards it was....

"It's bs"

"It's false"

"HE DIDNT HAVE 4 LOSING SEASONS IN A ROW"

Nothing went beyond those 3 statements or anything close to it.

I agree with Sheldon but I think everyone knew he was going to be a good player. He'll probably be the only defensive player selected by Rex to make a Pro-Bowl. Wilkerson had a good year last year but was slowed by injury this year. I'm not sold on him but Jets should lock him up in case he returns to 2013 form.

doesn't work like that. Sheldon Richardson was coached up by Rex. People thought Blaine Gabbert would be good. Coaching matters. And Muhammad Wilkerson is beast.

doesn't work like that. Sheldon Richardson was coached up by Rex. People thought Blaine Gabbert would be good. Coaching matters. And Muhammad Wilkerson is beast.

Blaine Gabbert...... Did you think Blaine Gabbert was gonna be good?

He went 9-7 and 11-5 his first 2 seasons with Sanchez. 8-8 is not a losing season and he did that twice. His last two were losing seasons. Tomlinson started one game. Even tho he was there he was done. They had lost Thomas Jones and shonne Greene wasn't it. That's the main reason they fell on offense. It aint like Sanchez lit up the air. Losing Braylon Edwards was a HUGE loss because Plaxico was done as well. So in essence, they most definitely had lost talent. They had a bad oline that gave up 39 sacks that season. They didn't have that fire in '11.

Clueless offense or horrible QB's? The latter.

Inept redzone play? Who were they going to score with?

People have tried to make the talent argument for the Falcons but the Jets are the prime example of being talentless.

Redzone calling is strictly on the coach as is burning of timeouts. Basically what I am reading is that he has a lack of discipline in terms of his players, that is a coaching issue. 12 men on the field, multiple times is a coaching issue. Loyalty and stubbornness for players... Coaching issue, that was one of Smith's major issues here. He's great on defense but is an incomplete in terms of his coaching ability in different avenues.

The last few years of jets is like our offense last year.

Take away Matt Ryan and how prolific do you think we'd be? We often said we'd be a one win team.

Thats what Rex was working with. And they still did "okay"

For arguments sake lets agree .500 is average, is that what were shooting for....to be average.

Who said anything about wanting an 8-8 season? It was just a rebuttal to the fact he had 4 losing seasons in the row and there is no arguments sake. 8-8 is the pure definition of the middle. Lol.

As far as the 8-8 record or any record, I've been pretty consistent in saying that just looking at the record isn't beneficial at all. Look at the context of the situation, talent, GM, division, teams played against, all of that and make a proper judgment off of that.

I remember somebody posted in here earlier. I think it was you and said.

Mike Smith took a 4-12 team, drafted a QB, and went 10-6

Rex Ryan took a 9-7 team, drafted a QB, and went 9-7

And made it seem like that was some damning statement against Rex Ryan and showed how Mike Smith was better. No, it's a clear sign that how the details weren't included in that equation.

You know like Turner being picked up in free agency and having the 2nd highest rushing yards that season (I think it was 2nd)

Or how the QB before Mark Sanchez was Brett Favre and the QB before Matt Ryan was a bevy of Redman, Harrington, and Leftwich.

There are more things involved but you get the picture hopefully.

For arguments sake lets agree .500 is average, is that what were shooting for....to be average.

Bringing in a winning coach elsewhere doesnt ensure winning. What was SB winning Jimmy Johnsons record in Mia, Holmgren in Cleveland, Pete Carroll his first stint? The point you're missing is Rex would be taking over a franchise with a franchise qb intact and talent around him. He'll bring toughness and attitude and he'll build a D and bring in HIS type of defensive players for his defense to go along with the talent we do have. And pkayers are attracted to play for him.

Who said anything about wanting an 8-8 season? It was just a rebuttal to the fact he had 4 losing seasons in the row and there is no arguments sake. 8-8 is the pure definition of the middle. Lol.

As far as the 8-8 record or any record, I've been pretty consistent in saying that just looking at the record isn't beneficial at all. Look at the context of the situation, talent, GM, division, teams played against, all of that and make a proper judgment off of that.

I remember somebody posted in here earlier. I think it was you and said.

Mike Smith took a 4-12 team, drafted a QB, and went 10-6

Rex Ryan took a 9-7 team, drafted a QB, and went 9-7

And made it seem like that was some damning statement against Rex Ryan and showed how Mike Smith was better. No, it's a clear sign that how the details weren't included in that equation.

You know like Turner being picked up in free agency and having the 2nd highest rushing yards that season (I think it was 2nd)

Or how the QB before Mark Sanchez was Brett Favre and the QB before Matt Ryan was a bevy of Redman, Harrington, and Leftwich.

There are more things involved but you get the picture hopefully.

Great post.

Being average with no talent is better than 4-12 or 6-10 with plenty of offensive talent.

He went 9-7 and 11-5 his first 2 seasons with Sanchez. 8-8 is not a losing season and he did that twice. His last two were losing seasons. Tomlinson started one game. Even tho he was there he was done. They had lost Thomas Jones and shonne Greene wasn't it. That's the main reason they fell on offense. It aint like Sanchez lit up the air. Losing Braylon Edwards was a HUGE loss because Plaxico was done as well. So in essence, they most definitely had lost talent. They had a bad oline that gave up 39 sacks that season. They didn't have that fire in '11.

I'm not denying that but isn't that on the coaching staff. This is the team he took out on the field.

I'm not denying that but isn't that on the coaching staff. This is the team he took out on the field.

It's because there was a huge rift between the GM and Rex.

Gm and HC disconnect. Forcing wack talent on a coach is never good. Is give smith a pass if that was his case but they had input on the players they wanted.

Bringing in a winning coach elsewhere doesnt ensure winning. What was SB winning Jimmy Johnsons record in Mia, Holmgren in Cleveland, Pete Carroll his first stint? The point you're missing is Rex would be taking over a franchise with a franchise qb intact and talent around him. He'll bring toughness and attitude and he'll build a D and bring in HIS type of defensive players for his defense to go along with the talent we do have. And pkayers are attracted to play for him.

No the point I'm making is we don't have the talent and he hasn't proven in my opinion he can draft and coach up talent. He knows nothing about offense so he will probably think our offense is fine and spend all our resources building his defense. We need players on both lines, tell me who has Rex brung into the NFL on the line that he can be associated with like he can be with Geno and Sanchez. As a HC he's only had 2 winning season out of 6 IDGAF about 8-8 being middle or average. He's not a proven winner. The Jets defense was already in place when he got hired. What is he gonna do IF he comes here. Who has he drafted on the Jets that we can look at and say "OK I can see us going after player Z and running these type of packages" What makes Rex Ryan the perfect fit for us.

Objectively looking at this scenar for the Falcons:

I think Rex makes more sense then any of the other candiadates mentioned, IF he is able to either retain Koetter or a better OC is brought in under the regime. We started transitioning our personal to a 3-4 scheme last year, and I think Atlanta needs to take a very close look at what coaches will develop and best utilize the peices brought in from last year (b/c we aren't getting rid of them).

I think offensively, we will not regress, and how much better would our offense get with McDaniels or Gase? Marginal, while the defense would most likely continue to be poor.

The coach must be a defensive minded coach. The other candidates are are 4-3 guys (DET and SEA) outside of Bowles.

I think at this juncture, Rex would/should be the leading candidate followed by Bowles out of the names mentioned. I also could easily see someone from the college ranks brought up!

I'm not saying it would be a good move, in fact I think it would be a bad move, but what if Blank through the war chest at Mark Richt, at a time when PSLs and tickets need to be sold for a new stadium. This would almost certainly make sure TD keeps his job as well.

I hope Rex Ryan is the guy. Look at how he has developed young talent on the defensive side of the ball. If we can keep continuity on the offesnive side or bring in a great OC, I think we will be in good shape for next year and beyond.