Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JT

The Official Rex Ryan Thread - Please Keep Rex Related Posts In Here!

1,789 posts in this topic

Rex does match up very well with the players that we have. On defense, he has the big interior linemen and the shutdown corner that his schemes require. On offense, he has a top QB and WR, which constantly eluded him with the Jets.

Most importantly though, Rex brings the attitude that the Falcons have lacked. We need a no-nonsense, no beating around the bush confidence in our approach and our play. Smith talked about trying to be tough but we were "soft" once again. I think Rex brings the right mentality to the team. I like Ryan, but he is also not an outspoken leader. We could use a brash leadership presence on this team, and that's what Rex would bring.

This too ^ He instills confidence in players and calls them out, players love him, I think he'd be amazing here.

You might as well give up trying to explain it to them. Some things are like

having a foot fetish, very hard to explain. Rex Ryan is the object of their

affection and they are mesmerized and don't want to hear it.

It's funny cause he doesn't have 4 losing seasons, he has 2 winning 2 .500 records and 2 losing seasons. Also, he had Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith as his QB's, you tell me what franchise can win with those, he can only work with the talent he's given and he was never given an offense to compliment his great defenses.

quotemokc likes this

I see Rex Ryan as simply a more boisterous version of Mike Smith. Yeah, his Jets teams slopped they way into the AFC Championship games in 2009 and 2010, where they were unceremoniously gunned down by the Colts and the Steelers respectively. But it's hard to ignore that the Jets have significantly regressed since.

Question: what will Ryan do that Smith couldn't? In my view, not much.

papachaz and dirtybirds808 like this

Rex didn't want Geno Smith and thag was very evident and Mark Sanchez started making too many mistakes. He still does. Lol. Philly started off great to end up not in the playoffs.

When you have absolutely no QB to work with, the expectancy to win is extremely low.

He went 8-8 last year with Geno fuxing Smith....lol.

If Geno plays halfway decent in just 1 or 2 games, they're in the playoffs.

Just looking at records and counting losing seasons is a half-a55 way of looking at things. Give details and a picture of what really happened.

Also, he had Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith as his QB's, you tell me what franchise can win with those, he can only work with the talent he's given and he was never given an offense to compliment his great defenses.

True, he and the the GM always clashed. Kinda the same when a GM wants to go for pass rushers and the HC would rather try a finesse approach. They must be on the same page. I believe TD when he says that it's wrong to force personnel on the coach. You have to work together. Rex would have the QB, the receivers, some good finesse backs and a lot of what he needs for his defense is here. He is heavily reliant on good cornerbacks and we have 1 in Trufant and the rest are serviceable.

He really is the perfect fit and they could hit the ground running.

True, he and the the GM always clashed. Kinda the same when a GM wants to go for pass rushers and the HC would rather try a finesse approach. They must be on the same page. I believe TD when he says that it's wrong to force personnel on the coach. You have to work together. Rex would have the QB, the receivers, some good finesse backs and a lot of what he needs for his defense is here. He is heavily reliant on good cornerbacks and we have 1 in Trufant and the rest are serviceable.

He really is the perfect fit and they could hit the ground running.

Yup, agree 100%

I see Rex Ryan as simply a more boisterous version of Mike Smith. Yeah, his Jets teams slopped they way into the AFC Championship games in 2009 and 2010, where they were unceremoniously gunned down by the Colts and the Steelers respectively. But it's hard to ignore that the Jets have significantly regressed since.

Question: what will Ryan do that Smith couldn't? In my view, not much.

Slopped their way????

They beat Peyton Manning and Tom Brady otw to one of those championship games....with Mark Sanchez. They lost to Big Ben by 5 points. That's 3 HOF QBs in a row that they almost beat. How is that slopping?

Do you think Mike Smith would have had a Geno Smith led team with an 8-8 record?

Do you think Mike Smith would have had a Geno Smith led team with an 8-8 record?

No way in ****. He relied on Ryan and Bryant's miracle come from behind wins for his early success. When faced with a better team/coach, Smith couldn't keep up.

On Rex as our next head coach:

However I am reasonable and I do understand why some fans hate the idea of Rex being our next coach:

-He's not a good offensive coach

-He's not a good offensive developer for young players or even veterans

-His offenses have always seemed to struggle since he's been a head coach

-Last he talks a bit too da** much

Add to your list. If he knew he wasn't good on offense then why can't he hire a good OC. Great, now all the money we are spending on offense will be wasted and our offense will be average. We don't have talent on defense so we will have an average defense. Rex Ryan has no proven track record of getting a good offensive coordinator.

No thank you to Rex!

papachaz likes this

Rex Ryan had 4 AMAZING coaching seasons and not all of them led to winning seasons. Look at the details, not just the record.

He led a 'not ready' Mark Sanchez according to Pete Carroll to 2 AFCCGs.

He, then led a turnover prone Sanchez led team to an 8-8 record

And he led a fresh rookie, Geno Smith, of whom he didn't even want in the first place to an 8-8 record.

That's 4 great HC jobs regardless of record.

UnrealfalcoN likes this

Rex Ryan has 4 straight losing seasons.why hire a guy who has been losing twice as long as the guy we just got rid off?

This should be enough to end the Rex talk but for some reason people just keep making threads about him coming here.

Add to your list. If he knew he wasn't good on offense then why can't he hire a good OC.

GM?

What OC do you expect to lift Sanchez out of being, at best, an average QB? Butt fumbles, anyone?

This should be enough to end the Rex talk but for some reason people just keep making threads about him coming here.

why should it end it though? Everyone has an opinion

Slopped their way????

They beat Peyton Manning and Tom Brady otw to one of those championship games....with Mark Sanchez. They lost to Big Ben by 5 points. That's 3 HOF QBs in a row that they almost beat. How is that slopping?

^^^^This.

When judging HC candidates - especially ones that have been HC before, you cannot be so simplistic in one's view. You not only look at the record, but the circumstances, the talent, etc.

Not sure why this is so hard for some.

Jimsmusic™ and bossFALCON™ like this

GM?

What OC do you expect to lift Sanchez out of being, at best, an average QB? Butt fumbles, anyone?

Yeah, even Chip Kelly couldn't win consistently with Sanchez... and that was with McCoy, Sproles, Maclin, Matthews, Ertz, and Celek.

Rex Ryan had 4 AMAZING coaching seasons and not all of them led to winning seasons. Look at the details, not just the record.

He led a 'not ready' Mark Sanchez according to Pete Carroll to 2 AFCCGs.

He, then led a turnover prone Sanchez led team to an 8-8 record

And he led a fresh rookie, Geno Smith, of whom he didn't even want in the first place to an 8-8 record.

That's 4 great HC jobs regardless of record.

^^^^This.

When judging HC candidates - especially ones that have been HC before, you cannot be so simplistic in one's view. You not only look at the record, but the circumstances, the talent, etc.

Not sure why this is so hard for some.

Some Ppl are shallow. They don't look at a bigger picture. They are only moved by nunbers or stats. They keep saying he had 4 losing seasons when he only had 2. A .500 season is not a losing season.

I'm only responding to the headline, but I do agree that Rex is the logical, obvious choice. We need a veteran, mature coach with experience as the top guy. We don't need somebody 'learning on the job', as it were. Rex is a big, in-charge personality, and he's not one to mince words. He takes responsibility for everything.

Now, having said that, if the reports that Holmgren could be had are true, I'd definitely have to explore that.