Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JT

The Official Rex Ryan Thread - Please Keep Rex Related Posts In Here!

1,789 posts in this topic

On Rex as our next head coach:

I can't see how Blank doesn't hire Rex Ryan right away! I may be bias on my thoughts but in my eyes as a falcon fan when you add every problem we have Rex is the perfect candidate to turn this franchise back into a superbowl contender.

However I am reasonable and I do understand why some fans hate the idea of Rex being our next coach:

-He's not a good offensive coach

-He's not a good offensive developer for young players or even veterans

-His offenses have always seemed to struggle since he's been a head coach

-Last he talks a bit too da** much

But my counter to all of that is that he's never had an already established borderline elite QB like Matt Ryan! Rex has never had an top 5 WR like Julio! He's never had a great receiving core like Julio, Roddy, HD, and yes speedster Devin Hester....those jet teams really lacked good offensive players, so why ignore that fact? And why not give Rex an offense that already has a ton of playmakers?!...HELLO that's all the man needs is a little help from the offense for ONCE in his head coaching career as well as a good offense coordinator which ain't hard to get with all those playmaking names mentioned above!

As far as defense goes I'm sorry no other head coaching candidate can compare! I understand Rex runs his mouth but dude knows his stuff on defense and has just shown too much consistentcy to overlook him regardless of his mouth! Here's some facts about Rex:

-did you know for 12 straight years as a defense coordinator/head coach that Rex has had no LOWER than a 6th ranked defense?

-did you know he is a top notch defense developer for all players?

-did you know his players regardless of offense or defense leave their hearts on the field for him every game?

-how about this one...did you know that Rex was a **** of a leader though he runs his mouth?

We have a Falcons teams that has lacked toughness and has had a bad defense for almost if not 10 straight seasons! I'm so sick of that! This is not the NBA, defense actually wins championships in the NFL....Rex brings an aggressive defensive scheme, a defensive developing mindset for the defense players to actually grow and get better, LEADERSHIP, and a very confident yet cocky attitude to pump his team up every Sunday!

Are you seriously going to let this top of the line head coach get away Blank?

On Dimi Boy and what type of GM we now know he truly is:

And for everyone worrying about Dimi boy you can kill that! One huge thing falcon fans overlooked was when blank spilled the beans that smith and Nolan didn't want to go after pass rushers and dimitrioff did....NOW UNDERSTAND I'm not saying blank shouldn't Fire him I'm saying that blank has shown what kind of GM he is...he's the type that's going to do whatever the head coach says that goes for free agency and drafting (atleast it got that way when Nolan arrived). You see dimitrioff is going to hang his head coaches feet to the fire when things go bad cause he has an excuse he's going to say to mr. Blank "but I got every player the head coach and his staff asked for but I told them I thought we should take these set of guys instead" when truly he probably just made up the "I thought we should have went after pass rushers" once the season was lost but had the season worked out he would have accepted all the credit for getting the players he was told to get.

Sorry for the long post just wanted to give my 2cents on why Rex is the perfect candidate and why dimitrioff no longer concerns me cause he obviously just does what the coaching staff tell him to do, in other words we have a good coaching staff I could care less if dimitrioff stays.

Enough of the Super Bowl talk

We've had enough of that already in the past few weeks

Bring Rex in for an interview and see what happens

I hope blank does! If he doesn't I'm shocked! All those other candidates have either an elite QB (Broncos/Pats OC) or has been a good DC for just ONE season (DET DC) or happens to just be the DC of a very talented team that really responds to the head coach (I'm talking about the Seahawks on this if ya didn't know)

Rex is the only proven candidate with years of consistency under his belt...successful years defensively I might add.

I want Rex Ryan the least to be our next HC. Maybe as a DC, but **** NO to HC job. I would rather keep Smitty and let him bring back BVG than get Rex Ryan.

Rex Ryan has 4 straight losing seasons.why hire a guy who has been losing twice as long as the guy we just got rid off?

In fairness, he had a *terrible* GM, and also a GM who opposed everything Rex was trying to do. Plus, they never got their hands on a good quarterback.

The things that were in Rex's control, though, were outstanding -- the defense was excellent, and the players played their hearts out.

Shnikies likes this

Rex is my least favorite choice, but that said with a few picks and choice FA signings he can make our defense hum. His defensive requirements:

Big NT: soliali (need depth)

5 techs: Hageman and TJax

ILB: shembo, not sure about Worrilow

OLB: we're hurting here ( but were hurting pass rusher period)

Secondary: Alford, truffant, Allen, McClain

Safeties: southward and Ishmael would behold in his scheme

With the 8th overall pick we could grab either Ray, Beasley or Gregory

In the second round we could grab Golden from Mizzou

In FA bring in Mark Ingram, David Harris (ILB) and maybe Jerry Hughes

I'm fairly confident a few moves like the ones I posited, sexy rely might be in business

One thing I do like about Rex is he seems to work well with GMs and TD has shown a propensity to include coaching in his draft process...might be good match

What I don't like about Rex is no matter who his coordinator his offenses suck. Yeah, I know he's never had a matt Ryan and julio, but you just have to wonder why that side of the ball is always bad on his teams

Rex Ryan has 4 straight losing seasons.why hire a guy who has been losing twice as long as the guy we just got rid off?

Actually he doesn't.

2 Winning seasons, 2 losing seasons, 2 equal seasons

A lot of people keep saying how he had no offense the whole time he was coaching the Jets. Well he had 6 years to do something about it. He is a defensive wizard. Thats great. But i prefer someone with balance that knows how to wins games. Whats the point of having a top defense if you cant win games.

With all that said, I just have a feeling that Rex will be the guy hired.

papachaz likes this

In fairness, he had a *terrible* GM, and also a GM who opposed everything Rex was trying to do. Plus, they never got their hands on a good quarterback.

The things that were in Rex's control, though, were outstanding -- the defense was excellent, and the players played their hearts out.

How is Rex not responsible for the offense. The offense was also under Rex's control, and he ignored it year after year. He's even admitted to not watching the offense. His defense is good at stopping the run, but are middle of the pack in pass defense and bottom of the barrel in points given up, takeaways, and big plays allowed. He's had 4 losing seasons in a row. He's only two winning seasons is where he had LT and could just hand it off and play defense "Ground and Pound". To me it seems like when LT and that OLine fell apart he didn't know what to do with the offense and left the job up to the OC and GM. IMO He's gonna come here look at our roster and ignore the OLine.

dirtybirds808 likes this

We have money AND the draft position for Rex to bring in guys he'll want on defense and I would love to see how he can develop Shede.

Our success will definitely be dependent on who our OC is though. We'll need a very smart mind who knows the strengths of our offensive players. (Matt)Ryan should help in the OC search if we do in fact hire a defensive coach.

Where was Rex Ryan's defense ranked the last 4 years?

where was rex ryans defense during the playoffs the last 4 years? oh yeah, sitting on their couches watching the games just like all of us.

All the Rex love around here is just baffling. He took a team of someone elses players to the playoffs his first two years there. the long he was there, helping pick players and trying to coach, the worse that team got.

JUST SAY NO TO REX RYAN.

If Blank hires him as HC, it will be even more clear he really has no clue what he's doing and we'll never see our team in a superbowl with him as owner.

octoslash and dirtybirds808 like this

Rex is my least favorite choice, but that said with a few picks and choice FA signings he can make our defense hum. His defensive requirements:

Big NT: soliali (need depth)

5 techs: Hageman and TJax

ILB: shembo, not sure about Worrilow

OLB: we're hurting here ( but were hurting pass rusher period)

Secondary: Alford, truffant, Allen, McClain

Safeties: southward and Ishmael would behold in his scheme

With the 8th overall pick we could grab either Ray, Beasley or Gregory

In the second round we could grab Golden from Mizzou

In FA bring in Mark Ingram, David Harris (ILB) and maybe Jerry Hughes

I'm fairly confident a few moves like the ones I posited, sexy rely might be in business

One thing I do like about Rex is he seems to work well with GMs and TD has shown a propensity to include coaching in his draft process...might be good match

What I don't like about Rex is no matter who his coordinator his offenses suck. Yeah, I know he's never had a matt Ryan and julio, but you just have to wonder why that side of the ball is always bad on his teams

It wasn't bad when he had talent. They actually led the NFL in rushing twice I believe.

Thats jist the thing. People only want to look at his last few years when the GMs took away all the offense. Thatd irrelevant.

TD isn't going to start shipping off Julio and ignore the offense. The train wreck in NY will never happen here. It'll be like his first few years where he actually had NFL quality guys on offense.

and with his "great" defense, he still has a worse winning precentage than smith.

Yet nobody is even speculating Smith being hired by another team, but the opposite can be said of Rex.

because NYJ have had THE WORST combo of QB and WR corps in the entire NFL the last six years...

it is just that simple.

where was rex ryans defense during the playoffs the last 4 years? oh yeah, sitting on their couches watching the games just like all of us.

All the Rex love around here is just baffling. He took a team of someone elses players to the playoffs his first two years there. the long he was there, helping pick players and trying to coach, the worse that team got.

JUST SAY NO TO REX RYAN.

If Blank hires him as HC, it will be even more clear he really has no clue what he's doing and we'll never see our team in a superbowl with him as owner.

yes to Rex Ryan. Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes

JUST SAY NO TO REX RYAN.

lol, your argument against Rex Ryan makes it seem like Sexy Rexy is the GM...

There is no greater compliment to a HC than taking over a team that had done nothing and you get them to the playoffs the first two years you take over.

Rex Ryan brought Mark Sanchez to the AFC Championship game twice, not only that, he's never had a decent WR. Plaxico was on the decline in NY and dropped almost everything. If he came here he'd come into a situation where he just had to fix the defense and it would instantly bring us back into playoff contention. He's known for having top defenses, and has turned around anything he's touched. He's exactly what we need, I hope we land him.

You might as well give up trying to explain it to them. Some things are like

having a foot fetish, very hard to explain. Rex Ryan is the object of their

affection and they are mesmerized and don't want to hear it.

Rex Ryan brought Mark Sanchez to the AFC Championship game twice, not only that, he's never had a decent WR. Plaxico was on the decline in NY and dropped almost everything. If he came here he'd come into a situation where he just had to fix the defense and it would instantly bring us back into playoff contention. He's known for having top defenses, and has turned around anything he's touched. He's exactly what we need, I hope we land him.

agreed. Taking the Jets to the AFCCG with Sanchez as your QB only pales in history to Ravens winning SB with Trent Dilfer. You have to have a NASTY defense to make either of those things happen.

Adam25 and Jimsmusic™ like this

Rex does match up very well with the players that we have. On defense, he has the big interior linemen and the shutdown corner that his schemes require. On offense, he has a top QB and WR, which constantly eluded him with the Jets.

Most importantly though, Rex brings the attitude that the Falcons have lacked. We need a no-nonsense, no beating around the bush confidence in our approach and our play. Smith talked about trying to be tough but we were "soft" once again. I think Rex brings the right mentality to the team. I like Ryan, but he is also not an outspoken leader. We could use a brash leadership presence on this team, and that's what Rex would bring.

Adam25 and Borat like this