Best Nfl Coaching Vacancy?

FentayeJones

Here is an excerpt what Brian Billick wrote on NFL.com. I just posted what he wrote about the Falcon. The rest is linked here:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000452398/article/best-nfl-coaching-vacancy-atlanta-falcons-job-tops-the-board

Judging by which team has the best QB, Atlanta's clearly the top job -- Matt Ryan is the finest quarterback among those whose teams are hiring head coaches. He has a career completion rate of 64 percent and a 2:1 touchdown-to-interception ratio. Although free agency will affect the profile of this offense, the skill positions are abundant with Julio Jones, Roddy White, Harry Douglas, Devin Hester and Devonta Freeman.

The downside to this job is the defense. It's devoid of talent, which somehow got the head coach (Mike Smith) -- as opposed to the general manager (Thomas Dimitroff) -- fired. But alas, my coaching bias is showing ... Beyond the cornerbacks, who show potential, Kroy Biermann might be Atlanta's best defensive player, and I'm not sure he could start for another team in the NFL. Not to mention, he's set to be a free agent this offseason.

This would lead you to believe the Falcons will bring in a defensive-minded coach, but I don't know how that will make much of a difference until they channel more resources toward this side of the ball. I have worked with Tony Dungy, Monte Kiffin, Marvin Lewis, Jack Del Rio, Rex Ryan and Mike Pettine, and I'll tell you something: Mike Smith and defensive coordinator Mike Nolan are as good a pair of defensive coaches as have ever coached in this game. It's going to take more than a coaching change to get this team back on track.

Edited by FentayeJones

Can't disagree with that when you look at the big picture. The Falcons, to me, have the least amount of problems.

Mike Smith and defensive coordinator Mike Nolan are as good a pair of defensive coaches as have ever coached in this game. It's going to take more than a coaching change to get this team back on track.

And to this point. I always felt Atlanta's problems were deeper than coaching, and I'm not totally on the Rex Ryan bandwagon yet (even though I'm a fan), but I think he the one guy who could get immediate results on the defensive side of the ball despite the talent problems.