Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

capologist

New Falcons Coaching Staff (Will Update With Hires)

325 posts in this topic

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/wp/2015/01/24/raheem-morris-expected-to-leave-redskins-for-atlanta-falcons/

Defensive backs coach Raheem Morris is expected to leave the Washington Redskins to accept a position with the Atlanta Falcons, multiple people with knowledge of the situation said.

Morris is scheduled to interview with the Falcons some time this week for a hybrid assistant-defensive coordinator position under new Coach Dan Quinn, two sources said. But another person familiar with the plans said that meeting is basically a formality.

Quinn, who will coach in the Super Bowl as defensive coordinator of the Seattle Seahawks before fully assuming his new job, is expected to continue to call the defensive plays as head coach in Atlanta. But Morris will have a senior assistant position that will feature more responsibilities than defensive backs, according to the person, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because he wasn’t authorized to speak for the parties involved.

Morris and Quinn’s connection goes back to Hofstra University, where Morris played under Quinn in the late 1990s. Morris then went on to serve as Quinn’s defensive backs coach from 2000 to ’01 before leaving for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers the following year.

Morris remained under contract with the Redskins this offseason despite the firing of Jim Haslett as defensive coordinator and the hiring of Joe Barry as his replacement. But Morris’s future with the team remained unclear because he also was drawing interest from other teams for larger roles.

Morris, who has coached in Washington the last three seasons, interviewed for the New York Giants’ defensive coordinator position earlier this month, but did not get that job. He was also one of seven candidates who interviewed to be Washington’s defensive coordinator. The Redskins selected Barry earlier this week, but still had interest in retaining Morris’s services.

Morris’s departure would leave inside linebackers coach Kirk Olivadotti as the only holdover defensive assistant under contract. The team this week dismissed outside linebackers coach Brian Baker and defensive line coach Jacob Burney. Their replacements have yet to be selected.

http://espn.go.com/blog/atlanta-falcons/post/_/id/11581/wade-harman-to-be-falcons-tight-end-coach?src=mobile&rand=ref~%7B%22ref%22%3A%22http%3A%2F%2Ft.co%2F64XhIeNmYR%22%7D

The Atlanta Falcons will name former assistant offensive line coach Wade Harman the team's next tight ends coach, according to multiple league sources.

Harman, who worked alongside offensive line coach Mike Tice last season, came to the Falcons in 2014 following 15 seasons as the Baltimore Ravens' tight ends coach. He is credited with helping the development of former two-time Pro Bowler Todd Heap and working with three-time Super Bowl champ Shannon Sharpe.

Harman will replace Chris Scelfo, who obviously won't be back with the Falcons. As it looks now, the Falcons will retain four assistant coaches from Mike Smith's staff under expected new head coach Dan Quinn: special-teams coordinator Keith Armstrong, wide receivers coach Terry Robiskie, defensive line coach Bryan Cox and Harman.

Kyle Shanahan will be named the Falcons' new offensive coordinator, while there is a Washington Post report about one-time Tampa Bay Buccaneers head coach Raheem Morris being Quinn's defensive coordinator.

The Falcons need a makeover at the tight end position, so Harman could help with the process. The team didn't have the luxury of Tony Gonzalez last season, so tight end wasn't a position of strength. Levine Toilolo showed some improvement toward the end of the season, yet his numerous drops early on stunted his growth. Not to mention there wasn't much production from the second tight end, Bear Pascoe.

The Falcons are destined to target a pass-catching tight end either through free agency or the draft. One intriguing name is veteran Owen Daniels, who caught 48 passes for the Ravens this past season. Daniels played under Shanahan with the Houston Texans and caught a career-high 70 passes in Shanahan's offense during the 2008 season.

Toilolo, who caught 31 passes for 238 yards and two touchdowns this past season, is signed through 2016. Pascoe is set to become a free agent.

The Falcons are unlikely to announce any coaching moves until Quinn, the Seattle Seahawks' defensive coordinator, is introduced as head coach following the Super Bowl.

The position Dan Quinn has in mind for Raheem Morris is assistant head coach/passing game coordinator, source says. #Redskins #Falcons

Raheem Morris to Falcons not yet done deal but getting close.

So basically, he's got Rocky Seto's job. Kudos to the poster that suggested exactly this. I know a few said that's what he'd be. I just thought he'd be an Assistant DC.

mashburn*Fibonacci likes this

So basically, he's got Rocky Seto's job. Kudos to the poster that suggested exactly this. I know a few said that's what he'd be. I just thought he'd be an Assistant DC.

Pretty much. May be a hint that Tim Lewis is staying on board although I haven't heard anything one way or the other on that...

Pretty much. May be a hint that Tim Lewis is staying on board although I haven't heard anything one way or the other on that...

Well, here's what we seem to know so far:

Dan Quinn - HC/Defensive playcaller

Raheem Morris - DBs/Assistant DC/secondary playcaller

Bryan Cox - DL

I'd bet, based on what we've heard that Seattle's LB coach will be the DC, so then we'll have 3 experts at all 3 levels. We would still need position coaches though, at both LB and secondary. That's also assuming that Cox stays as DL coach, and doesn't switch responsibilities. We also might need 2 LB coaches, one for inside and one for outside, just like last season. We'll also probably add a defensive assistant.

So yeah, even if Lewis stays, we''' still probably be adding at least 2 more guys, maybe more, not counting the new DC.

At this point I'd say that Richard is staying in Seattle as DC. Quinn's DC will either be their LB coach, with Cox staying on DL, or their DL coach, with Cox moving to LB coach.

Broncos LBs coach Richard Smith is reportedly likely to be named defensive coordinator of the Falcons.
Smith, who has been coaching at the NFL level since 1993, will focus on the run defense. He'll be under defensive-minded head coach Dan Quinn and defensive-minded assistant head coach Raheem Morris. Expect Smith to adapt to Quinn's Seattle scheme, meaning plenty of press coverage and not using stud Desmond Trufant in a shadow role.
Related: Falcons
Source: Albert Breer on Twitter Jan 26 - 10:32 AM

Per SickWithIt's post

Additional info:

Richard Smith was the DC in Miami in 2005 when Quinn was the DL Coach. He was also the DC in Houston for 3 years. The last year in Houston, the OC was Kyle Shanahan.

Broncos LBs coach Richard Smith is reportedly likely to be named defensive coordinator of the Falcons.

Smith, who has been coaching at the NFL level since 1993, will focus on the run defense. He'll be under defensive-minded head coach Dan Quinn and defensive-minded assistant head coach Raheem Morris. Expect Smith to adapt to Quinn's Seattle scheme, meaning plenty of press coverage and not using stud Desmond Trufant in a shadow role.

Related: Falcons

Source: Albert Breer on Twitter Jan 26 - 10:32 AM

Per SickWithIt's post

Additional info:

Richard Smith was the DC in Miami in 2005 when Quinn was the DL Coach. He was also the DC in Houston for 3 years. The last year in Houston, the OC was Kyle Shanahan.

This is the tweet in question:

When SEA’s Dan Quinn takes over #Falcons, he hopes to bring Raheem Morris & Richard Smith (Broncos LBs) for his D, maybe as co-coordinators

Broncos linebackers coach Richard Smith will likely be the defensive coordinator with the Falcons. He'll run the run defense.

It does not confirm Smith as DC, only that we are interested in bringing him in. The DC thing is speculation only.

Thanks hjerry, btw, check out the awards thread and tell me if that was the thread you were talking about...lol

yep, that was it lol biggrin.png

Interesting how this is all happening, but not an official peep from the Falcons at all. I guess publicly, they don't want to overstep the HC hiring.

Interesting how this is all happening, but not an official peep from the Falcons at all. I guess publicly, they don't want to overstep the HC hiring.

well, if I was an assistant, I'd be waiting for the team to sign the HC first as well, before signing my contract. Team can't announce anything that is not official.

One of the reports, from a few days ago, said that the Falcons were waiting to make all the announcements, till after Quinn was hired, which SI said would be on Feb. 2.