Article That Says A Lot About Why Quinn Is The Right Choice

Pa_Falcon_Fan

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/08/06/dan-quinn-seattle-seahawks/

Blank said in the presser about firing Smitty that we need someone who is 'willing to develop talent", be flexible and have creativity. These are strengths of Quinn's.

Quotes from the article:

“He’s not married to a scheme; he wants you to grow,” Bennett says of Quinn. “He changes with the players.”

“One of things I’ve learned from Coach [Pete] Carroll is how to use our featured players,” Quinn says. “There’s a tendency to say, oh, he doesn’t fit the system. Coach Carroll is more like, what does he have that’s special?”

“All of those guys are so unique,” Quinn says. “You ask yourself, how can we feature them?”

“He’s a master in the film room.”

“It’s about being developmental,” Quinn says. “How much can you find out about this player? And what can you draw out of him? It takes a lot of time and effort. "

I really like Quinn and his scheme. But it's not hard to look like a genius with that talent they have on defense.

Gus Bradley had the same praises being heaped on him and look how it is working for him in Jacksonville.

Not saying he won't do well bit just look at who he has that is playing in his scheme.

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/08/06/dan-quinn-seattle-seahawks/

Blank said in the presser about firing Smitty that we need someone who is 'willing to develop talent", be flexible and have creativity. These are strengths of Quinn's.

Quotes from the article:

“He’s not married to a scheme; he wants you to grow,” Bennett says of Quinn. “He changes with the players.”

“One of things I’ve learned from Coach [Pete] Carroll is how to use our featured players,” Quinn says. “There’s a tendency to say, oh, he doesn’t fit the system. Coach Carroll is more like, what does he have that’s special?”

“All of those guys are so unique,” Quinn says. “You ask yourself, how can we feature them?”

“He’s a master in the film room.”

“It’s about being developmental,” Quinn says. “How much can you find out about this player? And what can you draw out of him? It takes a lot of time and effort. "

As far as 'player development' I think the main one responsible for that on the defensive staff that I'd be interested in is Kris Richard.... the Seahawks secondary coach.

Here's an an article about him in 2012 when Bradley was still the DC

http://seattletimes.com/html/stevekelley/2019077090_seahawkskelley09.html

General manager John Schneider and coach Pete Carroll deserve credit for correctly evaluating this group.

Brandon Browner was a career Canadian Football League corner before getting a chance with the Hawks at the age of 27. Cornerback Richard Sherman was a fifth-round pick in last year's draft.

Safety Earl Thomas came to Seattle in the first round of the 2010 draft. Kam Chancellor was the second safety picked in that same draft, a fifth-round pick.

But Richard, who played for Carroll at USC, deserves credit for developing this young quartet into one of the most feared defensive backfields in football. Three of them — Thomas, Chancellor and Browner — made the Pro Bowl last season.

"Kris Richard is like the glue," said Sherman, who is on the cusp of a Pro Bowl career. "He's the cohesion that keeps everybody together, everybody on their toes. He's always prepared. He does a great job of game-planning and making sure we are completely aware of everything a team likes to do."

Another one from 2014

http://seattletimes.com/html/jerrybrewer/2024345777_brewer20xml.html

“He’s our leader,” cornerback Richard Sherman says.

“I’m very grateful to have a coach like that,” says Thomas.

“All the learning, all the preparation, all the discipline — that’s where it starts, with him,” safety Kam Chancellor says.

I really like Quinn and his scheme. But it's not hard to look like a genius with that talent they have on defense.

Gus Bradley had the same praises being heaped on him and look how it is working for him in Jacksonville.

Not saying he won't do well bit just look at who he has that is playing in his scheme.

First, Gus was with them in 2009 and 2010, so he helped build that defense with Gus Bus. Now look at the talent that the Jags had prior to Gus Bus. That team had negative talent. I am not saying that they are a good team, but the Jags have show promise in a lot of games, especially on defense. They still need another year or two before they become an average team, but if the Owner gives them a chance, they could became a threat to the Colts.

First, Gus was with them in 2009 and 2010, so he helped build that defense with Gus Bus. Now look at the talent that the Jags had prior to Gus Bus. That team had negative talent. I am not saying that they are a good team, but the Jags have show promise in a lot of games, especially on defense. They still need another year or two before they become an average team, but if the Owner gives them a chance, they could became a threat to the Colts.

That's why I would want the guy that was there that turned the defense into a great unit... not so much the guy that took over a loaded defense.

Anybody remember Ray Horton? He was Cards defensive coordinator when they were loaded with talent and was a hot head coaching candidate. How's he doing now? It's easy to look like a great coach when you're working with superior talent.

You watch. The Jaguars are much better than you know. One good FA 2015 and Draft and they will be a threat.

I'm just not sure about him...Gus Bradley had that defense playing at a high level last year so what combination of players, system, or coaching is it?

Coaching Accomplishments

• Has 18 years of coaching experience, including 10 seasons in the NFL and eight as an NFL defensive line coach.
  • In 2011, led a Gator defense that ranked eighth nationally in total defense (299.5 yards per game), seventh in passing defense (166.8 yards per game) and second in third-down defense (27.12 percent).
  • Prior to his first season in Gainesville, Quinn spent the 2009 and 2010 seasons with the Seattle Seahawks as defensive line coach and has spent eight NFL seasons as a defensive line coach, including stints with the New York Jets (2007-08), Miami Dolphins (2005-06) and San Francisco 49ers (2003-04). He began his NFL career as a defensive quality control coach for the 49ers from 2001-02 before being promoted to defensive line coach.
  • Helped four different players reach double-digits in sacks in a single season.
  • Seven of his 10 seasons in the NFL saw opponents average less than one rushing touchdown per game, including three seasons of 10 or less total.
  • In 2010, the Seattle Seahawks finished third in the NFC in red zone touchdown defense, allowing just 46.2 percent.
  • Coached Chris Clemons to a career-high 11 sacks in 2010 in Clemons’ first season as a full-time starter, including four multi-sack games, while Raheem Brock tallied nine sacks.
  • Helped the Seahawks to the 2010 NFC West crown and knocked off the defending Super Bowl champion New Orleans Saints in the opening round of the playoffs.
  • Quinn’s 2008 Jets defense ranked fifth in the NFL in yards per carry (3.7), seventh in sacks (41) and ninth in rushing yards per game (94.9). The Jets were also sixth in the AFC in yards per play (5.2) and third-down efficiency (.386).
  • The 2006 Dolphins totaled 47 sacks, third in the NFL. That season, Jason Taylor finished fourth in the NFL with 13.5 sacks under Quinn’s guidance.
  • Quinn’s 2006 Miami team also ranked third in the NFL in yards per play (4.6), fourth in total defense (289.1) and fifth in rushing yards per attempt (3.5).
  • In 2005, Quinn helped the Dolphins rank first in the AFC and second in the NFL with 49 sacks. Miami also finished third in the AFC in yards per play (4.7) and fourth in yards per carry (3.7).
  • The 49ers ranked fifth in the NFC in 2004 with 4.0 yards per carry allowed.
  • As a defensive assistant with San Francisco in 2002, linebacker Andre Carter tied for fourth in the NFL with 12.5 sacks.

That's why I would want the guy that was there that turned the defense into a great unit... not so much the guy that took over a loaded defense.

Anybody remember Ray Horton? He was Cards defensive coordinator when they were loaded with talent and was a hot head coaching candidate. How's he doing now? It's easy to look like a great coach when you're working with superior talent.

He was apart of loading up that defense. He built the defense in Florida to a top 10 defense in 1 year. The team went 11-2 with his defense and 4-8 the year he left. He took a good defense in seattle and made them Premier by getting guys like Avril and Bennett. The dude had a help in building that defense and made them what they are today.

Quinn is not like Bowles, who has only had one year of being a Coord and gained an already good defense.

He was apart of loading up that defense. He built the defense in Florida to a top 10 defense in 1 year. The team went 11-2 with his defense and 4-8 the year he left. He took a good defense in seattle and made them Premier by getting guys like Avril and Bennett. The dude had a help in building that defense and made them what they are today.

Quinn is not like Bowles, who has only had one year of being a Coord and gained an already good defense.

Exactly. Quinn has succeeded everywhere he's been in every position he's been in...

Quinn is my first choice but honestly give me Quinn, Bowles or Ryan and I think we'd all be happy...

That is the beauty of the situation we find ourselves in. With these coordinators they've had another year to enhance their reputations, which they have done.

Blank has found the right year to make the change.

That is the beauty of the situation we find ourselves in. With these coordinators they've had another year to enhance their reputations, which they have done.

Blank has found the right year to make the change.

Yep. Yep. Yep. As a poker player, there is absolutely nothing better than being heavily invested in a hand where you got the dead nuts and you just can't lose. That's the Falcons right now, barring a massive, collective brain fart of such monumental proportions as to defy all attempts at logic with so many learned people assisting Blank in choosing among the vast array of about six or seven possible candidates. We should have a dam good HC in a week or so, and I'm gonna welcome whoever that person is with open arms and unqualified support. A new day is coming in the ATL and it's going to be way better.